348 replies to this topic

#46 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53757
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 06:27 AM

Looking real good, Ryan!! I'm amazed at how fast you've put this together...

One suggestion--your air filter is pretty close to the radiator and will draw in warm air, which reduces power...try to mount the inlet to get cool air if possible.

Keep it up.... I know who to help me when I take on my next project.... ;o)

Smitty

Id be happy to help you out.  You have done the same for me on this project.  Ya this project is on the front burner.  Mom wants her parking spot back and with our young one, he needs a cool car to get in.    Plus, working mids frees up the morning and days, almost feels like the normal at home sleep pattern when a newborn is around.

I was thinking that the air filter could be moved almost anywhere under that hood.  But I might flip the 90 elbow and invert it so Ican draw air from below the engine.  Maybe I could fit a small inter cooler too. :rocker2:

#47 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 09:18 AM

Smitty's suggestion about cool air for the intake is excellent. I try to keep mine in front of the radiator or out of the engine compartment. The higher the better as the deck tends to stir up a lot of dirt. 

Pushing or pulling air through the radiator both work. Vehicles have them set up both ways. 

Edited by Cvans, August 12, 2014 - 09:19 AM.

• Utah Smitty and Pager450n have said thanks

#48 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 10:16 AM

Smitty's suggestion about cool air for the intake is excellent. I try to keep mine in front of the radiator or out of the engine compartment. The higher the better as the deck tends to stir up a lot of dirt. 
Pushing or pulling air through the radiator both work. Vehicles have them set up both ways.

I will figure a spot. Good thing is this tractor has only the tiller, 3 point and the soon to be sweeper for attachments.

#49 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 12:52 PM

Looks like I'm going with a 3 groove to woods pulley. I figured that if I'm stacking pulleys, the hubs will not have enough length to engage the shaft.

Ratios look like this.
3000 rpm
Drive pulley @ 3"+ 7" driven pulley = approx 1300 rpm for the pto.
Drive pulley @ 3"+ 4" driven pulley= 2250 rpm for the radiator fan.

Those numbers look good to me, plus the 3" 3 groove will be as much that I can install and still have the idler pulley engage with clearance. Kinda of a bummer, would like to have at least 4" drive, but I'm happy with will work.

#50 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 05:10 PM

[quote name="Pager450n" post="481551" timestamp="1407820750"]Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

maybe?
IMG_6432-L.jpg[/quote/

Looks good-- you'd probably have to keep your boost to 1-2 psi, LOL...

Get 'er running first, with an eye to turbo installaton as Phase 2.

Smitty

#51 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 05:16 PM

Just kidding guys, well maybe down the road.  The TD04 would be too big for this motor, but there are a couple of smaller garrett 15, TD02 or those dollar bill sized ones im keeping an eye one.

Back to reality
I was able to pull the engine out and fab up the motor mounts.  I was able to use two of the four OEM mounts.  The others came off of a john deere F series something or another.  I cut the mounts up, and had them lay perp of the frame. Tomorrow, I hope to make the two front mounts, pillars with adjust grade 8 or 12 bolts to level the motor up to the front pulleys. 
IMG_6414-L.jpg

fronts.  Ya, those welds look hidious.  I miss having 220 in the garage. 
IMG_6415-L.jpg

overall.  You can see the front MM are sitting on the frame only.  Those will get a pillar bolt, all thread to shim as needed
IMG_6416-L.jpg

Where did you get your gaskets, Ryan? also, I can't remember, but is that my exhaust manifold alfeady installed.... best to run it with a
muffler attached to avoid cold air being sucked back in ans ruining a valve.

Smitty

#52 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 05:28 PM

I'd mount it as high as I could, too. aside from the dust, mounting it under the engine would increase the chance of getting water or snow sucked into your engine... ssw that happen to a newly rebuilt Ford diesel--ruined the engine big time.

smitty
  • Cvans and Pager450n have said thanks

#53 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 03:12 PM

I'd mount it as high as I could, too. aside from the dust, mounting it under the engine would increase the chance of getting water or snow sucked into your engine... ssw that happen to a newly rebuilt Ford diesel--ruined the engine big time.

smitty

I will have to figure this one out once the engine, tranny and all other goodies are in place. 

Didnt do much today, just got the belt on, ordered the 3 groove pulley, and cut the driveshaft to lenght.

#54 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 03:18 PM

Where did you get your gaskets, Ryan? also, I can't remember, but is that my exhaust manifold alfeady installed.... best to run it with a
muffler attached to avoid cold air being sucked back in ans ruining a valve.

Smitty

Steve,

The gaskets came off a engine mount from ebay.  And no, I still have your manifold on the bench.  I will make a basic muffler until project "400TD" kicks in

#55 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 05:46 PM

Steve,
 The gaskets came off a engine mount from ebay.  And no, I still have your manifold on the bench.  I will make a basic muffler until project "400TD" kicks in

Take your time, I don't need it--just couldn't remember whether mine came out the side or the top...
Darn, now you're making me jealous!! But, I want to build a cab for the 'bota, and P/S too.

Smitty

#56 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 10:46 PM

Its funny how I buy 3' of keyed 1" driveshaft and only have to use 1' of it. 

Edited by Pager450n, August 13, 2014 - 10:47 PM.

#57 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 04:36 PM

Looky looky, got my pulley in the mail today.  I love having vendors so close.

3 groove, 3", takes 1/2" v belts.  Im hoping that it will be enough, but I may be able to fit a 3 1/2" if needed.  I will have to adjust the manual idler pulley for the PTO.

IMG_6435-L.jpg

IMG_6436-L.jpg

IMG_6437-L.jpg

Whats also going to happen is the fan belt will be in the middle groove and the outside two will be for the 7" drive pulley

• olcowhand said thank you

#58 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 08:37 PM

Its funny how I buy 3' of keyed 1" driveshaft and only have to use 1' of it. 

Hang on to it... that's a real common size for GT tractor engines... I may buy some of it from you just to have around as well.

Smitty

#59 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 08:38 PM

Looky looky, got my pulley in the mail today.  I love having vendors so close.

3 groove, 3", takes 1/2" v belts.  Im hoping that it will be enough, but I may be able to fit a 3 1/2" if needed.  I will have to adjust the manual idler pulley for the PTO.

IMG_6435-L.jpg

IMG_6436-L.jpg

IMG_6437-L.jpg

Whats also going to happen is the fan belt will be in the middle groove and the outside two will be for the 7" drive pulley

That adapter looks pretty good all snugged up in the flywheel.... if I do say so myself.

Smitty

• Cvans and Pager450n have said thanks

#60 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 08:46 PM

Ya, you better.  Nice job for sure.  I also ended up cutting an inch of the pump side pto.  Thanks to your friend, this motor is about done

:thumbs: