348 replies to this topic

#331 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53757
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted January 17, 2015 - 04:11 PM

Heres two videos I have come across as to how they split a rod when it arrives as one.

Edited by Pager450n, January 17, 2015 - 04:15 PM.

• olcowhand, Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#332 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 04:22 PM

I received some good news today from the machinist.  In lieu of inserting some sleeves (1/8" thick)  he found some pistons that are .020 over for a heck of a better price than mama mitsu.  They are around 50 a pop with rings.

He also machined the head surface, smooth as a babys you know.  Also we were going to look into machining a .020 shim for the head.  We decided to shave .020 off the piston head to allow a reduction in compression ratio.  I have two turbos coming as well.  This way, I can properly spool up the turbo, with more than just 2-3psi.

Should be fun.  Will post some pics tonight.

• olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#333 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 06:28 PM

I received some good news today from the machinist.  In lieu of inserting some sleeves (1/8" thick)  he found some pistons that are .020 over for a heck of a better price than mama mitsu.  They are around 50 a pop with rings.

He also machined the head surface, smooth as a babys you know.  Also we were going to look into machining a .020 shim for the head.  We decided to shave .020 off the piston head to allow a reduction in compression ratio.  I have two turbos coming as well.  This way, I can properly spool up the turbo, with more than just 2-3psi.

Should be fun.  Will post some pics tonight.

So, Ryan, when you get this mod done will you be able to keep tires on your JD????

And, I'm sure you'll be looking for another project as well...

Smitty

#334 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 06:44 PM

Ryan, I WILL be watching your turbo build closely!

• Pager450n said thank you

#335 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 08:24 PM

So, Ryan, when you get this mod done will you be able to keep tires on your JD????

And, I'm sure you'll be looking for another project as well...

Smitty

Yup! So get that case ready or which ever tractor you want to put your mitsubishi in and I will do it in my garage.

Ryan, I WILL be watching your turbo build closely!

Glad I will still have an audience. The guy helping me out is going to let me be there when we machine the Pistons down. He is currently trying to pull over 100hp out of a kubota d1105 block. He also races jet cars out at a local 1/4 mile track.

Edited by Pager450n, February 03, 2015 - 08:27 PM.

• olcowhand, KennyP and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#336 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 08:24 PM

Hmmmmmmmmm,

Jet powered john Deere?

#337 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 10:44 PM

Ok, hers a pic of the milled head.  He took just under .002 off. 

gallery_53757_739_1557875.jpg

• Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#338 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 04, 2015 - 12:36 AM

Yup! So get that case ready or which ever tractor you want to put your mitsubishi in and I will do it in my garage.

It'll probably be the Case... just not sure how we can put a big enough radiator under  the hood... you'll figure something out, though. One of the members from the forum said he might have a hood from a 446? that has the side extensions at the front... it would probably work... haven't heard back from him, though.  Another member had a 3 PH for a Case, hoping to snag that as well..

Smitty

#339 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted February 04, 2015 - 06:24 AM

When you add the turbo(s)  will you need to upgrade   things like head bolts or special head gasket ? Will the injector pump need to be changed or modified ? Sounds like the machinist that's working with you does some pretty cool things . 

#340 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted February 04, 2015 - 08:01 AM

When you add the turbo(s)  will you need to upgrade   things like head bolts or special head gasket ? Will the injector pump need to be changed or modified ? Sounds like the machinist that's working with you does some pretty cool things . 

Thankfully, there will only be one turbo.  Im planning on adding the other one to my kubota B8200.  He, the machinist wants me to stack them, again, he races and its habiit for him.  Im not going to be racing down rows of potatos. :thumbs:

There may be a need for new head bolts, but for now we are ok.  The head gasket will also be a standard.  There is still only one for the standard, .025 and .050 over pistons. 

I might be shimming or adding to the lobes on the cam to advance the injection.  We will see.  Its fairly easy to remove the injector pump.  I might have it rebuilt by a local shop, just because it will be the last item to have been addressed.

Edited by Pager450n, February 04, 2015 - 08:02 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#341 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 08:32 PM

Sorry guys, I promise I will post when new goodies come in.

Well, today the shop received the new .020 pistons.  From what I understand, they look and measure the same as the mitsu brand, but at a 1/3 the cost AND with rings to boot.  Down side is that they sent 1 standard size and 2 .020 over :wallbanging:

Im so close to getting this put back.  I can almost smell the diesel burning.

Im still going back and forth about how much to shave off the pistons, .020, .015 or .010.  I do want to drop the compression down to at least 20:1.  It still needs the ability to start, I guess its finding (math involved) the right balance. 

please stand by :D

• Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#342 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted June 20, 2015 - 05:56 PM

Dang, last post was in Feb, crazy year so far.

Back to the 400 and its status.  I have been running the twin l3e from Utsmitty so far, and its doing ok.

Now onto the machinist and his BS!. 

My post back in feb when I posted a quote from him as "50 bucks a pop" was WAY out of the honest ballpark.  I received a call last week that he did find both pistons and rings at .020 over, BUT......... they were a little more.  So I asked "what is a little more?" he told me he ended up going to mama mitsu and for a glorious $700 bucks, he will be putting in the new rings.  Honestly, I told him to hold off, since this was not what we agreed to, plus I was not planning on that much.

A few days later he calls me back with a second thought, since I was not going to pay for that.  I really didnt since there was no signed contract nor written agreement.  I think the machinist came to his senses and we agreed to split  the bill, and it looks like I will be shelling out $300 (not even, but we agreed).  The engine is NOW getting .020 bored out and the new pistons will receive their connecting rods.

I have some returns to send back, standard rings, gasket set and possibly exchanges for new main thrust bearings for the crank.  Thet are under spec, but if the engine is getting this little makeover, I should just dish out the extra 40 or so to get all new bearings. 

Again, Im sorry that this has been too long of a update. 

• olcowhand, Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#343 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted June 20, 2015 - 09:09 PM

Again, Im sorry that this has been too long of a update. 

Hey your making progress and that's the important thing. 

#344 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 08:51 PM

Well, story came to a sad ending.  No dice on the motor rebuild, machinist screwed up on the block, ruined it.  So, engine is as it will be and its up for sale :mad2:

• Cvans said thank you

#345 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 09:32 PM

Sorry to hear about that, Ryan!!... I still have the other L3E in the Toro mower if it will do you any good.

Smitty