Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 03:10 AM

I was over at the shop to look at the block,  looks like that was a scratch in the wall.  Theres no crack and after talking with the guy, we both agreed that we will sleeve this engine back to standard or 2.9921".  The sleeves cost me 92.31 shipped, for 3 and he will do it for me at no cost.  Thats because I am hooking up a shop heater for him.

I think im still going to rebuild and swap the engine back in.  It would be nice to have a fully serviced engine.  I want to have 400 psi in each piston and be able to know its good for another 2000 hrs, or 15yrs, which ever comes first.

I will keep you posted.!

Well, I'm relieved it isn't a crack.  Sounds like a good deal for you to get it re-sleeved so cheaply.  The Mitsi's are great little engines.  Almost makes me want to tear into the other L3E I have and see if it's salvageable/usable.

Smitty

#317 miller_time ONLINE  

miller_time
  • Member No: 65621
  • 10 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 12:39 PM

I am new here but I ran across your thread and wanted to say great job! you also did a great job documenting how you did the swap. I installed a Kubota d722 into my jd 420 a couple years ago I have some documentation but not as much as you. here is a couple pics of mine after I got it finished. I have about 60 hours on the swap now.

Attached Thumbnails

• 420 engine.jpg
  • 420 2.jpg

• olcowhand, KennyP, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#318 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 01:57 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Nice installation!

#319 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53757
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 07:11 PM

I am new here but I ran across your thread and wanted to say great job! you also did a great job documenting how you did the swap. I installed a Kubota d722 into my jd 420 a couple years ago I have some documentation but not as much as you. here is a couple pics of mine after I got it finished. I have about 60 hours on the swap now.

I like it.  I wish the motor I purchased had the stock radiator, or one similar to the yamnars.  It would have been nice to use the radiator fan, but so far so good.  I am around 25 hrs since the transplant.

They are fun to tinker and troubleshoot. Makes me wanna find another one, maybe a smaller one. :D

What do they say......Idle hands something, something......... cost money?

#320 miller_time ONLINE  

miller_time
  • Member No: 65621
  • 10 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 07:41 PM

that's funny I am the same way! decided to add a loader and backhoe to the 420 but in between I find myself looking for another diesel for cheap so I have a reason to do another transplant.

#321 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 08:53 PM

that's funny I am the same way! decided to add a loader and backhoe to the 420 but in between I find myself looking for another diesel for cheap so I have a reason to do another transplant.

Sounds like a common side affect to these tractors.   I do have in sight a Simplicity 9020.  Its at the guys shop.  He wants to work on it, but I think a group of Benjimans might change his mind

#322 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 09:24 PM

Figured I could throw this video on this thread.  Still waiting to sleeve the L3E.  I did order the L3A kit from ebay.  I used some gaskets from my recent order.  Plus I can change out my connecting rods, t stat and anything else I can throw into the rebuild.  Oonly cost me 100 bucks.

Ok, ok, just a quick vid to hear the diesel.

https://www.youtube....h?v=EULeid93Pr8

Edited by Pager450n, January 15, 2015 - 09:25 PM.

• Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#323 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 05:43 PM

Sounds good, Ryan... I'm jealous you got a snowblower for your tractor... (Actually I have one too, I just need to get my Ford LGT running and get it installed).

Smitty

#324 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 06:11 PM

Sounds good, Ryan... I'm jealous you got a snowblower for your tractor... (Actually I have one too, I just need to get my Ford LGT running and get it installed).

Smitty

Well, lets get that ford out and running!

Today, MR brown knocked on my door and gave me a package.  It was the rebuild kit for the L3A, bore is 65mm, and the L3e is 76mm.  I doubt I can resleeve with one that thick.  Its a shame, the pistons from the kit are brand new, and rings.

I will plan on using the same connecting rods for the rebuild.  They all share the same stroke of 70mm.  Now heres the funny thing, I have never seen a connecting rod come not cut.  I mean by that is the connecting rod at the journal end is one piece.  I have been looking to find out how this can be seperated so I can attach them to the pistons, and I have seen laser etching, then hydraulic seperating.  I have seen a guy with one in a vise and tapping the connecting rod around the thin area.  Or should I have my machine shop do it?

Is this common to see a connecting rod come as one piece?

On a side note, the kit also came with new brass seats for the injectors, seats for the return line, t stat, gasket maker from mitsubishi and all the good gaskets.

I guess I will haveto use the L3A pistons as a custom shifter knob or maybe to a friends stick for his dodge.

#325 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 06:56 PM

Can we get pics of these solid ended rods please?

#326 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 5,017 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 08:58 PM

Is this common to see a connecting rod come as one piece?

I've never seen them before.

#327 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 17, 2015 - 01:03 AM

I've never seen them before.

Neither have I.  If it was a 2piece crank , then I could see a solid con rod, but this is weird!!

Smitty

#328 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted January 17, 2015 - 04:01 PM

Well here they are, pics as promised.  Now what do I do

as you can kinda see, the upper rod has no break to allow connecting to the journals

gallery_53757_739_408424.jpg

I threw in this pic to show comparison.  L3E on bottom, Bore 76mm  and L3A bore at 65mm

gallery_53757_739_869910.jpg

You can also see the combustion chamber is different too.

gallery_53757_739_1216155.jpg

Heres a pic of the sleeves that will be bored in, kinda exciting :dancingbanana:

gallery_53757_739_1165916.jpg

And the box it came in.  I plan on throwing in a video of the whole process (new gopro)

gallery_53757_739_676172.jpg

#329 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted January 17, 2015 - 04:06 PM

Again, the kit was only 100 bucks.  I was planning on using the connecting rods, but allas, they have different wrist pin dia.  They share the same stroke. 

The kit also has a complete gasket set

New thermostat

New brass seats for each injector

New seats for the return line

valve guides

o rings

and all the other small stuff I may or may not need.

I know that the L3A was installed in a couple cub cadets, so anyone wanting a set of 3 rods,pistons and rings, I will give you a heck of a price.

#330 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 17, 2015 - 04:07 PM

Someone screwed up big time on the rod machining process. I'd send pics & dang sure get the proper parts.  It would cost more to get those rods corrected than you gave for the entire kit.

As far as the piston top config, they are for a different different engine than yours, so likely the right combustion area profile.