348 replies to this topic

#301 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53757
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted December 20, 2014 - 06:22 PM

You have a model # besides just L3E? If so go here!

Its a L3E .952l.

I checked that over this morning. 

Thanks Kenny!

Im wanting to check to see if they used the same head on the L3A,C and E

#302 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,399 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted December 20, 2014 - 06:35 PM

I haven't a clue on that.

#303 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 09:00 AM

things are going ok, but not too great.

I did get my $500 package yesterday, with rings, gaskets and connecting rod bearings.  Funny thing is that it did not come with a new t state like other kits I have seen.

Not sure if you can remember the bad #2 ring or not, but heres a shot of the new standard ring.  Its roughly .020 gap, a little high for me.  The tolerances in the cylinder were at .010 taper as well as #3.  Now the #1 was great at .005 taper from the bottom. 

gallery_53757_705_1378469.jpg

The pistons are within specs as well, but again, its looking like I am needing 25 over pistons and rings. 

gallery_53757_705_39312.jpg

I took the block to my machinist and he is going to soak it first to get rid of all the rust and gunk in the block.  When I first bought the engine, it was missing the freeze plug out of the head. This will be nice, and hes only charging me $20 to do it. 

Were is it?

gallery_53757_705_1858808.jpg

• olcowhand, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 1 other said thanks

#304 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 11:10 AM

I might be taking a quick right here.  UTsmitty has a l3e that he might sell me if he can twist my arm.  That would be a quick fix and I will then have a spare engine. 

Im not one to half az a job or quit before the finish, but if there is a way to complete a job correctly and using the brain god gave me, then by all means, "were there!"

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse and Cvans have said thanks

#305 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 03:11 PM

Took UTsmittys engine and did a little swapping of the timing cover, injector pump, injectors and intake manifold, and wola!  I have a decent engine, that starts just about every 1st try.  I even went out today and blew some snow.

• olcowhand, limebuzz, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#306 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 09:00 PM

Congratulations. Nice way to start the new year  :thumbs:

• Pager450n said thank you

#307 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 11:33 PM

Indeed. This was a wrench in the gears, wasn't planning on tearing into the engine, but I'm glad I did. I learned a lot about my engine, and what it's weak points are, strengths and anything in between.
  • Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#308 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 03:23 AM

things are going ok, but not too great.

I did get my $500 package yesterday, with rings, gaskets and connecting rod bearings.  Funny thing is that it did not come with a new t state like other kits I have seen.

Not sure if you can remember the bad #2 ring or not, but heres a shot of the new standard ring.  Its roughly .020 gap, a little high for me.  The tolerances in the cylinder were at .010 taper as well as #3.  Now the #1 was great at .005 taper from the bottom. 

gallery_53757_705_1378469.jpg

The pistons are within specs as well, but again, its looking like I am needing 25 over pistons and rings. 

gallery_53757_705_39312.jpg

Ryan

Unless I'm mistaken, it looks like the cylinder is cracked in the picture above.  You can see it almost in line with the gap in the ring.

Smitty

• Cvans said thank you

#309 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,595 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 09:02 AM

Ryan

Unless I'm mistaken, it looks like the cylinder is cracked in the picture above.  You can see it almost in line with the gap in the ring.

Smitty

Smitty, it sure does look like a crack.  Not a straight line like a mark made by placing rings/etc.  That would sure drop compression!!!!!

• Cvans and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#310 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 07:13 PM

I think Smitty found the Gremlin. Good eyes!

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#311 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 11:25 PM

I think Smitty found the Gremlin. Good eyes!

That would also explain the missing freeze plug when Ryan bought the engine... it's a shame as he's put a lot of time and money into it... I twisted his arm (a little) to buy my engine to save him some time, but it turns out it had a cracked water pump housing on the front cover... I wasn't aware of it as I had never unpacked it from when I bought it... But, using some spare parts from his engine and my engine he finally got one running... Hoorah!!

Smitty

• Cvans said thank you

#312 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 10:37 AM

Now smitty, don't twist too hard.

Yeah, it runs fine now thanks to Steve. Like he mentioned, I had to replace the timing cover due to a cracked mounting bolt. I also had to replace the injector pump too.

I do wish these engines were a direct injection. That way I could hear some turbo wistle.

All in all, this went well., I still plan to look into rebuilding the old one and possible sleeve the blocks back to standard.

#313 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 11:49 AM

Ok, next question. Since this engine is a "indirect injected", referring to the pre combustion chamber, can I put a turbo on it?

Reason asking, I read that some direct engines have a low compression ratio, 14:1 or so, and would benefit to a turbo. Mine on the otherhand has a ratio of 23:1. Assuming compression remains constant at 330ish psi on all three cylinders. I would also assume that I could have knocking as well if I get too high a ratio.

Are these assumptions correct?

I'm always looking for something new to learn each year. This year, I want to turbo either this engine or the one in my Kubota b8200.

#314 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 05:16 PM

That would also explain the missing freeze plug when Ryan bought the engine... it's a shame as he's put a lot of time and money into it... I twisted his arm (a little) to buy my engine to save him some time, but it turns out it had a cracked water pump housing on the front cover... I wasn't aware of it as I had never unpacked it from when I bought it... But, using some spare parts from his engine and my engine he finally got one running... Hoorah!!

Smitty

I was over at the shop to look at the block,  looks like that was a scratch in the wall.  Theres no crack and after talking with the guy, we both agreed that we will sleeve this engine back to standard or 2.9921".  The sleeves cost me 92.31 shipped, for 3 and he will do it for me at no cost.  Thats because I am hooking up a shop heater for him.

I think im still going to rebuild and swap the engine back in.  It would be nice to have a fully serviced engine.  I want to have 400 psi in each piston and be able to know its good for another 2000 hrs, or 15yrs, which ever comes first.

I will keep you posted.!

Edited by Pager450n, January 02, 2015 - 05:17 PM.

• olcowhand and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#315 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 03:09 AM

Ok, next question. Since this engine is a "indirect injected", referring to the pre combustion chamber, can I put a turbo on it?

Reason asking, I read that some direct engines have a low compression ratio, 14:1 or so, and would benefit to a turbo. Mine on the otherhand has a ratio of 23:1. Assuming compression remains constant at 330ish psi on all three cylinders. I would also assume that I could have knocking as well if I get too high a ratio.

Are these assumptions correct?

I'm always looking for something new to learn each year. This year, I want to turbo either this engine or the one in my Kubota b8200.

Ryan

I'm no expert as you know, but I do know that many indirect engines are turbo'd... my Ford with the Navistar 6.9 Liter V8 Diesel is one example.  Bear in mind that at this altitude, you've already lost compression pressure.  A turbo helps the engine to be altitude-neutral... you'll need to be careful as to volume and boost pressure.

As for doing the engine on your B8200--I'd be careful since I think the engine has a lot of hours if I remember correctly... this could lead to problems with thrown rods, bearings, etc.

Regards,

Smitty