#256 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53757
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 01:04 PM

GLOW PLUGS.

After checking resistance at approx 1.3 ohms, I took them out and checked the visual test.

Good news is they burn nice and hot

Bad news is I have three glow plugs coming, AND they are the wrong style based off the internet search.  Sure learned a lesson there.

INJECTORS

well, we pop checked all three injectors. Based off the patterns, only one was atomizing the fuel correctly, the others were either strait stream or a clogged sprinkler pattern.  The engine is getting flooded with fuel.  So, Im guessing I will be getting a local shop, industrial injectors to rebuild them for me at around 50 each.

I have a video of one of them, stream pattern.

popping pressure was around 1750 psi,  but specs read 1992 psi.  regardless, they are all getting rebuilt.  Now I just have to figure out what type/brand they are.

Also, I checked the compression from the glow plug hole.  Heres what I found out.

#1 330 psi

#2 190 psi ( added some oil, then came out at 290)

#3 330 psi.

Specs say 413-445psi.

Looks like I need new rings.  But im also hoping that due to the bad injectors, im getting washed out and therefore loosing compression due to rings not seating properly in the cylinders.  So, if I get my injectors rebuilt, that will cut back on the fuel consumption ADD allow for more return to the tank.

After that, rings will come into play around april.

Edited by Pager450n, November 25, 2014 - 04:37 PM.

• olcowhand and Cvans have said thanks

#257 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 10:27 PM

Was the worst injector in #2 hole?

#258 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 07:40 AM

Was the worst injector in #2 hole?

Honestly, it very well could have.  Here are the two videos

https://www.youtube....h?v=UoLAZZHW7fc

https://www.youtube....h?v=HHfNongGw4w

• Cvans said thank you

#259 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 11:53 AM

Not good that's for sure. I'm surprised the first injector was firing at all. 

• Pager450n said thank you

#260 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 12:40 PM

Ya, there was the only one that was firing that was a decent pattern.  Im glad that I can get this addressed first.  Then I will look into the compression over the next month or so.

#261 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 02:28 PM

You might be surprised and it's not the rings at all. The Kubota 972 in our blower had no compression. Guy sold it to me for $200 if I could get it running. The valves were all coked up and not closing all the way because the injectors were dirty. Cleaned the valves and injectors and it starts and runs fine now. The compression was so low that you could turn the engine over using the crank shaft pulley and your bare hands. Didn't really hold out much hope but it turned out just fine. 

I hope yours is the same.

Edited by Cvans, November 26, 2014 - 02:30 PM.

• olcowhand and Alc have said thanks

#262 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 11:28 PM

You might be surprised and it's not the rings at all.

I'm sure hoping it's those bad injectors. Would make for a great day to get them back, and starting the engine like it should.

#263 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 07:18 PM

Well' injectors came back from the testing facility with a undeniable PASS. Huuuuu? I asked they techs, and showed them the video I had, and they said that they are just fine.

" popped at 150BAR, atomized OK, 2000psi"

So, I guess it's a good and bad. Good it didn't cost a penny, a little comforting to know they are ok, but now I have this bad feeling that I will be getting into the injector pump.

First though, I checked the psi going to the injector pump, it's just under the 5psi line. I'm guessing it should be around 5-7, so I might pick up a new diesel pump.

Any suggestions on brand or if there are any that are adjustable?

I have been looking at Mr. Gaskets diesel 12v, runs 4-7 psi. I'd like to find one that is adjustable, not a stated range so I can tune it to the right psi.

Thoughts?

#264 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 10:31 PM

Mr. Gaskets diesel 12v, runs 4-7 psi

I've used that same pump on a couple of diesel projects and have had NO problems at all with them.  :thumbs: 

#265 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 05:16 AM

My Kubota powered LGT has the Mr Gasket pump on it. It will actually circulate fuel even if the engine is not running with key on, this helps keep the injectors in constant fuel as well as the pump. The kuboty runs beautiful now, I was almost ready to scrap it last winter.
  • Cvans said thank you

#266 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 06:27 AM

I'm having troubles following this thread and  maybe someone could help , Is the compression OK at only 3/4 of what spec's call for ?  I watched the videos  are they from the same line from the injection pump which they where taken out of ?   If the lift pump has enough psi & flow for one injector how come the other two are not so hot ?  

• Cvans and Pager450n have said thanks

#267 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 10:00 AM

Good questions. It would appear that his injector pump is not providing enough pressure to the injectors for them to form a good spray pattern.  If the pump were putting out the full 2000 lbs of pressure they would form a good pattern. The fact that all three spray with different patterns at lower pressure would indicate to me that they at least need some injector cleaner run through them. 

Edited by Cvans, December 02, 2014 - 11:47 AM.

• Alc and Pager450n have said thanks

#268 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 10:42 AM

Good questions. It would appear from that his injector pump is not providing enough pressure to the injectors for them to form a good spray pattern. If the pump were putting out the full 2000 lbs of pressure they would form a good pattern. The fact that all three spray with different patterns at lower pressure would indicate to me that they at least need some injector cleaner run through them.

That's what I have been thinking about all last night. I had one of the techs tell me a little bit more about this engine. He did tell me that the supplied psi is very important, and I needed up to 7 psi. So, I installed the guage, noticed 5 psi if that, so I ordered the pump.

I'm having troubles following this thread and maybe someone could help , Is the compression OK at only 3/4 of what spec's call for ? I watched the videos are they from the same line from the injection pump which they where taken out of ? If the lift pump has enough psi & flow for one injector how come the other two are not so hot ?

I almost feel like I'm limping this once great project along. I will address the injector pump in a week or two, and timing this weekend. I am planning on getting new rings, and a good rebuild next spring. I can't stand to see pressure below spec, let alone one at 190. On the otherhand, I can't help but wonder if due to too much fuel, I'm getting washout and the rings are not seating. Regardless, this engine will get a good rebuild next spring.

Edited by Pager450n, December 02, 2014 - 02:27 PM.

• olcowhand, Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#269 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 02:38 PM

I'm hoping that I can attack this possible fuel issue from both ends and meet at the cause.

Injectors tested, injector lines (tight, no air) ....... Next is the IP. Other end, new fuel lines, connections tight, new pump (7psi). New filters, fuel pressure gauge, next will be timing, then the IP.

Hope this can someday help others as others have helped me out.

#270 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 06:06 PM

Ok, did a video on the injectors and pump. Not much info, mostly recap the infor but it shows the IP pumping just fine.

Now (tech question) how do I post a click photo style video from youtube like others have done?