Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 02:00 PM

That's a feeling I have also experienced. Kind of like getting to the end of a good book. Then comes the big "Now what do I do?" . 

Hey, don't feel sad!! I've got a 444 Case that I'd like to put a diesel in, and get a 3 point hitch setup... you need a new project?

Smitty

• Cvans said thank you

#242 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 04:29 PM

you need a new project?

Thanks for your concerns but projects I'm not short of. Just cleaning up the shop so I can pull in a Craftmsman GT-18 with an 8hp. tiller on the back to fabricate a hydraulic lift. Using a lever to jerk that big tiller up off the ground with is getting old in a hurry. 

Then taller gears for the Golf-cart. After that a 3hp. Johnson O.B. to go through and get ready for spring. Followed by some new pins for the backhoe. Then If I have time the charge pump on the mower needs new seals. I won't bother you with what's planned for after Christmas.  :smilewink:

• olcowhand said thank you

#243 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53757
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 11:32 PM

Hmm. Well I think (I'm jumping the gun) I will be doing a rebuild on the engine in the spring. I took it to a friends and tried starting it. And after 10 minutes, it finally started up.

I need to check compression, injectors and I have ordered new plugs.

I'm planning for the worst, but hoping for the best .
  • Cvans said thank you

#244 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 12:02 AM

I need to check compression, injectors and I have ordered new plugs. 

The nice thing about engines this size is you can carry all the parts to the work bench with your bare hands.

• Pager450n said thank you

#245 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 12:21 AM

The nice thing about engines this size is you can carry all the parts to the work bench with your bare hands.

That's true, but looking for prices. The gasket overhaul out is over $600 on evil bay, but I did find one across the pond. They want 124 euro for it?.... Not sure, and I can't imagine new pistons and rings

Edited by Pager450n, November 23, 2014 - 12:34 AM.

#246 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 12:34 AM

The gasket overhaul out is over $600 on evil bay, and I can't imagine new pistons and rings 

That's absolutely crazy. I haven't paid that much for any of my engines.  :mad2:

#247 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 06:46 AM

Make sure that you are feeding that thing fuel!! My Kubota was doing the same thing, some guys here may remember when I was threatening to replace it with a Kohler v twin. Well I found the culprate and replaced the lift pump with an electric unit and replaced all the fuel filters. It runs like a million bucks now! Also the glow plugs are critical on cold starts, so make sure they work!!

#248 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 10:49 AM

Make sure that you are feeding that thing fuel!! My Kubota was doing the same thing, some guys here may remember when I was threatening to replace it with a Kohler v twin. Well I found the culprate and replaced the lift pump with an electric unit and replaced all the fuel filters. It runs like a million bucks now! Also the glow plugs are critical on cold starts, so make sure they work!!

I have ordered new glow plugs.  I will also replace the tethering strap.

Now as far as fuel goes, I have an electric pump, the OEM fuel pump.  Also, I have two filters, both are new, less than 3 months old.  I am going to pop check the injectors and see how they are performing.  I will also check the injector pump.

Its just weird.  Maybe its the cold, and im not use to it.  But on my b8200, the D905 engine has new plugs, nothing more.  I have to hit the plugs for 20 seconds or so, but it fires right up.  I read in the L3E manual that there is a cold start assist.  You should only have to hit the start for 6 seconds to warm the plugs and it should light rightup?

#249 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 01:43 PM

Speed of the starter might be an issue.  We have 2 farm size Massey's, both with the 354 Perkins diesels.  One lights off instantly in pretty cool temps without starter fluid.  The other has to grind the starter 2 or 3 revolutions before firing.  Both are fresh engines with perfect injectors and fairly new injector pumps.  The big difference is the starters.  One has been altered by our local "starter guru" for higher rotation speed, and the other is stock.  The one that lights instantly has the faster starter.  Makes a huge difference!

• Alc, Cvans and Pager450n have said thanks

#250 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 03:05 PM

Speed of the starter might be an issue.  We have 2 farm size Massey's, both with the 354 Perkins diesels.  One lights off instantly in pretty cool temps without starter fluid.  The other has to grind the starter 2 or 3 revolutions before firing.  Both are fresh engines with perfect injectors and fairly new injector pumps.  The big difference is the starters.  One has been altered by our local "starter guru" for higher rotation speed, and the other is stock.  The one that lights instantly has the faster starter.  Makes a huge difference!

Starter is new, but im now curious if and how you cna increase the starter speed?

I sure hope this repower doesnt tutn into a rebuild as well.

Thanks for all the insight fellas

#251 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 05:27 PM

The Massey starter I'm talking about is a large heavy unit, and Dad said they do something different with the field windings to increase power & speed.  How though, I have no idea.  I will ask when I pick up my Cat payloader starter tomorrow.

#252 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 09:07 PM

As Daniel said the Starting speed makes a huge difference. One of my older Kubota engines is not cold weather friendly. With a new battery it still balks but if I just hook up the 15 amp charger it starts right now. I can't really notice any difference on the volt meter but it spins over just enough faster to light off. 

#253 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 504 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 10:46 PM

I'm not sure about the L3E but the Misubishi K3 and S3 series that were used in the Cub Cadet compact tractors start real hard if even 1 glow plug is burned out even in 70* temps.  And almost all of the ones that we sold at work needed to have block heaters put in so they'd start easy below about 38*.  The way you described how yours has been starting recently sounds to me a lot like at least one glow plug might be bad.  There real easy to test too.  I take them out and hook a set of jumper cables to a battery then take the neg. end and put it on the threads of the plug where it screws into the head and the pos. where the power wire or strap goes.  Be careful doing it because if its good the end will turn red hot.  If the plugs are automatic when you turn the key on then it should heat up in 10-15 seconds.  If there manual where you turn the key backwards or push a button to activate them it'll probably take about 30 seconds before they get hot.  Hope this helps.           Stewart

• Cvans and Pager450n have said thanks

#254 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 07:15 PM

Ok, engine is not starting at all! I range the glow plugs and they came out 1.2-1.4 ohms. Is that about right, or should they be higher?

I have fuel, still need to check the compression, but glow plugs are on order.

So, are the plugs bad based off the resistance?

Update: finally got it started. I cracked all the fuel lines, tightened any bolts associated with the injector pump, and double checked all fuel lines to make sure there's no air leaking in. I also had the battery hooked up to the mrs car. I took about 16 cranks, with pre heat of about 10seconds each. I'm planning to check the compression tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Edited by Pager450n, November 24, 2014 - 07:36 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#255 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 04:17 AM

That thing should be smoking like the Dickens cranking! If not then you may have a fuel issue as well. As stated before, these little engines need to crank fast to start cold.
  • Alc said thank you