• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 stubbysteve OFFLINE  

stubbysteve

• Member No: 3443
  • 54 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 05:09 PM

I have a db sulky with a rack on the back. I dont know what it actually is but I cant find any pics of it anywhere. can some one help me out? I dont have any pics of mine as of yet. thanks

edit.

looks like this one but with 2 brackets comming off the back one on each side. still has the db plate on it also.

Attached Thumbnails

• Sulky2.jpg

Edited by stubbysteve, June 07, 2014 - 05:15 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 05:39 PM

The only thing I know of that goes on the back of the sulky is the dump rake.  Here is a pic of mine.

post-782-0-63313500-1333322460.jpg

• Alc, IamSherwood, trowel and 2 others have said thanks

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 06:08 PM

The only thing I know of that goes on the back of the sulky is the dump rake.  Here is a pic of mine.

attachicon.gifpost-782-0-63313500-1333322460.jpg

Yep, and that's pretty much all that attaches to the sulky.

• Gtractor and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 stubbysteve OFFLINE  

stubbysteve

• 54 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 07:47 PM

then mine has just the brackets that attach to the dump rake. the brackets that I have are the ones that the cross bar on the rake bolts to. thanks for the pic. So now I know I have just a sulky with part of a dump rake..........lol

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 08:18 PM

Steve, It might be worth it to attempt to trace the history and previous owners of your sulky.  It's obvious it had a rake on it at one time and the rake might be laying on someones scrap pile or out back in the junk ditch.   Its a long shot but what if???

• Lauber1 said thank you

#6 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 08:29 PM

Ok I gotta ask, in the second post the pic of the db.  What is on the front of the machine?  Looks like some sort of pump?

Pete

• IamSherwood said thank you

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 08:30 PM

:ditto: with the search of the rake.

Edited by trowel, June 07, 2014 - 08:32 PM.

#8 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 08:31 PM

Ok I gotta ask, in the second post the pic of the db.  What is on the front of the machine?  Looks like some sort of pump?

Pete

its an air compressor

• IamSherwood and petrj6 have said thanks

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 08:32 PM

Pete

Yes, air compressor

Edited by trowel, June 07, 2014 - 08:33 PM.

• petrj6 said thank you

#10 stubbysteve OFFLINE  

stubbysteve

• 54 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 09:16 PM

well there is actually a 10 year story behind this DB.

I had went to a junk man/scrapper. I seen he had several db s with attachments. I asked what he wanted for each one. he said 500 bux. I told him he might as well scrap them. cause no one I knew of would pay that much for just one not running. So 10 years later, a friend of mine was talking about a friend of his that just got a trailer load of DBS. I told him the same story, and that I wanted one cause around here you dont see them anywhere. So we decided to go see if he would sell any of them. we get to where the guy was, he as a whole trailer load for sure. Just one db with the hood. I just love that look of the hood. Anyway, I talked to the guy that bought them, told him the story and he just chuckles. I said WHAT? He said I just wasnt there at the right time. They were the same ones. I asked if he would sell the one with the hood, and the sulky that goes behind it. I wasnt going to buy one with out the sulky. He says sure I ask how much he says 100 for both. Any way long story shorter, he sold it to me, I own them. I asked a few weeks later what he was going to do with the sickle bar mower, he said he would sell it to me but he wanted to get it working again first. I said ok.

Needless to say, he sold the rest of everything for 60 bux to someone else. he had tree and brush saw, a tri trac, a reel type mower attachment, etc. but he did say they went to a good home not a scrapper.

So no idea where the dump rake went to, and I lost the rest of them. thats why I want just at least one attach ment for my db to show people how they actually work. No one around here knows what I mean by a mule. So they are just lost to time.

• Gtractor, Alc and trowel have said thanks

#11 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 09:26 PM

Great story.

Looking forward to seeing pics of yours. I think that's the

greatest looking hood, ever made.

Kris, that air compressor? Is that an OE option?

#12 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 09:54 PM

DB outsourced the compressor instead of building it in-house, but this in a genuine DB compressor with serial tag. 

It is supposed to have a bracket with a caster wheel under it but this compressor came welded to a piece of tread plate with an electric motor and the rest was missing.  It works out better this way because with the sulky mounted on the tractor the front wheel would cause problems.  I have another complete DB compressor that has the correct wheel and bracket if I ever want to run one on a tractor without a sulky. 

http://amigatec.net/...nts/597.150.pdf

Edited by Gtractor, June 07, 2014 - 10:04 PM.

• Alc, IamSherwood and trowel have said thanks

#13 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 05:41 AM

That why I love it here!!  I learn new stuff pretty much every time I get on here.  That is a neat little compressor, how much psi will it pump to?  how many cfm?  Just general description would be great.

• Gtractor and IamSherwood have said thanks

#14 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 08:26 AM

I'm cheating - copying and pasting from another thread here on GTTalk.  No idea on the actual CFM, its not a bunch but it will air a tire up much quicker than one of those compressors that plug into the cigarette lighter.

I've only used one of my DB compressors but it will run just over 90 psi. They actually pump more cfm at idle than they do at wide open throttle due to their intake design. The one I restored had the rings stuck to the piston and it wouldn't pump much so I had to take it apart to limber up the rings.
To disassemble you take the heads off the pump and put a block of wood on top of one end of the piston. Clamp the cylinder in a vise locking the piston so it can't move and then you unscrew the pulley [left handed thread] and shaft out of the piston. Once the shaft is removed the piston will push out of the bore. Its a really neat design having essentially a two cylinder pump all housed within one bore.

• Lauber1 said thank you

#15 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 08:42 AM

DB also used this same air pump to power the sprayer units. Seems like to me the claim for a working pressure on the sprayer was 300#.

• Gtractor said thank you