• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 08:35 AM

The trailer I have is also made from an old pop up when I made the wheel covers a made them so that my jd would just fit an that has a 48" deck. Now I wish I had a bigger trailer but I don't have a way to haul it other than using my deere. Btw mine is about a 5x8 an 52 3/4 in between the wheel wells.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

Edited by backwoods, June 09, 2014 - 08:36 AM.

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#17 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 08:46 AM

I have several. One of the most important is not to go over your GVW with trailer/tractor that the tow vehicle can handle.

My wife just asked me the other day why I don't ever pull my 5x8 tilt and always take my 77" x 16' tandem. Told her I like pulling the big one better, I truely hate that little one. It has a couple fixes that would make it better, swap out car tires for trailer tires and remove the large plywood gate on the back & 4' sideboards. It's set up to tilt, and the slightest too much weight to the back makes it horrible in dog wagging. I use it once a year to haul the goats back and forth to the fair. I like pulling a larger trailer anyday.

Sounds like you may be in the market for 6x12 or so. My buddy bought a 6x14,  it fit 2 -4 wheeler sand 3 dirt bikes. It was single axle and I think it needed to be a tandem.

Good luck on your purchase keep us posted.

#18 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 09:32 AM

A tandem tows way better than a single and they back so much easier. I sold my 16' tandem some time back because I didn't really use it much and everybody wanted to barrow it to move a car. But given the choice I'd rather tow a tandem any day.

#19 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 11:39 AM

Sounds like your problem with single axle trailers is the axle is too far forward!  And maybe, too short of tongue.  They tow  & back much easier if the axle is farther from the tow vehicle, IMHO!  ~~  Lowell

• JD DANNELS and toppop52 have said thanks

#20 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 12:59 PM

I have several. One of the most important is not to go over your GVW with trailer/tractor that the tow vehicle can handle.

My wife just asked me the other day why I don't ever pull my 5x8 tilt and always take my 77" x 16' tandem. Told her I like pulling the big one better, I truely hate that little one. It has a couple fixes that would make it better, swap out car tires for trailer tires and remove the large plywood gate on the back & 4' sideboards. It's set up to tilt, and the slightest too much weight to the back makes it horrible in dog wagging. I use it once a year to haul the goats back and forth to the fair. I like pulling a larger trailer anyday.
Sounds like you may be in the market for 6x12 or so. My buddy bought a 6x14,  it fit 2 -4 wheeler sand 3 dirt bikes. It was single axle and I think it needed to be a tandem.

Good luck on your purchase keep us posted.

I agree with Lowell. The problem I see with the 5x8 is it is too easy to get too much weight behind the axle.
If you do not have enough weight on the tongue it will jump,bounce and wag the tail.
Trust me when I hauled a load of 16 ft 2x8s last summer I experienced all that.
I really do want a tandem trailer. My father in law used to have a 14 ft Oklahoma trailer and it was the best trailer I have ever towed.
When he passed it went to my brother in law,
I may go ahead and put a wider deck on the 5x8 as a temporary fix till I CAN find a 12-14 ft flatbed.
If I put 2x4s across the frame I think I could get enough clearance to go out to 6 1/2 ft .
  • Alc said thank you

#21 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 06:22 AM

Sounds like your problem with single axle trailers is the axle is too far forward!  And maybe, too short of tongue.  They tow  & back much easier if the axle is farther from the tow vehicle, IMHO!  ~~  Lowell

If you're talking to me, my problem with single axles isn't really a problem I guess, I've been backing trailers since i was 14 and I'm nearly 62. But for a novice or a guy that doesn't do it much, a tandem is easier to back and pull because it does everything a bit slower than a single and you have more time to react, plus towing with a load, if properly positioned, tends to be smoother and less exiting with a tandem. I'm use to a single axle and can back one around a tree, but they are harder to maneuver for a beginner, in my opinion.

#22 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 10:34 AM

I learned my trailer maneuvering skills with a 4x8 trailer. Nothing more exciting than getting one of those backed around. After that, every other trailer is a walk in the park to maneuver. I often struggle with the bigger trailers not reacting quick enough to back into my tight driveway. And no trailer, when loaded properly is "exciting". The key to safety is properly matching the trailer to the tasks being performed.
  • sacsr said thank you

#23 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 06:37 AM

And no trailer, when loaded properly is "exciting".

Yep, that's the key, properly loaded. Yep, I knew how to spell exciting, sorry about the typo. And my opinion remains, a tandem is a smoother tow, you're perfectly welcome to your opinion.

#24 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,763 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 10:13 AM

If you all want to complain about backing up a trailer I will be glad to let you attempt to back my tow dolly into a driveway with the Chevy Suburban. :dancingbanana: 

It isn't so much the single and dual axle setup that makes it hard as it is the length of the trailer to the wheelbase of the vehicle. That is why it is so easy for a truck driver to back that Kenworth with the 48 foot trailer and so hard for you to back up that little garden tractor with the tiny lawn trailer on it.

I honestly think that every one should be made to pull a trailer before getting a drivers license. Even if they never pull one again they will have more respect for those who do pull them.

• grnspot110, Alc and sacsr have said thanks

#25 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 03:54 PM

Yep, that's the key, properly loaded. Yep, I knew how to spell exciting, sorry about the typo. And my opinion remains, a tandem is a smoother tow, you're perfectly welcome to your opinion.

I wasnt making fun of your spelling, i was emphasizing the word. Didnt like its use but had no better word. Had to reread you post just now to see you had misspelled it, and unfortunate coincidence in my quoting and your misspelling. And yes, a tandem would be smoother towing since it is more forgiving on load position than single axle. It is all about how particular one is about getting their load positioned as to how well a single axle tows.
  • toppop52 said thank you

#26 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 07:40 PM

I'd say from years of watching that the average small trailer is pulled by someone with little real experience at loading, pulling or backing trailers. Especially boat trailers, I've been entertained more than once at the boat ramp, but you get some winning moments at the dump, home improvement store, etc... I watched a guy buy a 5x8 trailer at Tractor Supply, then bought a Cub Cadet rider, as he loaded it the tongue shoots into the air because he didn't fasten the ball latch. Once they get this sorted out, he headed up the street, at the first stop, a half block away, the mower slammed into the bulkhead, then the tailgate as he took off because he didn't know how to fasten the ratchet strap he just bought.
  • Alc said thank you

#27 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 07:55 PM

Yup. Cant fix stupid. I dont buy the cheaper box store type trailers, rather have more trailer. But i am guilty of forgetting the latch before loading. I been lucky no damage, but found the reason was usually rushing, so always make sure it is hooked up night before, and then the morning of. I do enjoy watching the inexperienced do stupid things, reinforces my methods and helps me think im not crazy. I was once complimented on my use of ratchet straps in the bed of my truck to tie in a garden plow lol.