• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Indygbd1 OFFLINE  

Indygbd1
  • Member No: 58420
  • 42 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 10:20 PM

What can you guys tell me about a Simplicity one wheel garden tractor? I have seen them called a model A and also called a culti-cutter. Up until 3 weeks ago I had never seen a simplicity one wheel tractor. Any idea how rare they are, and what they might be worth? I have photos, but not sure how to attach them.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,515 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 06:20 AM

Welcome to GTT. I've had a couple of Simplicity 2 wheelers for 30 years but don't remember a one wheeled Simplicity. Try www.simpletractors.com for a history of the Simplicities. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, June 05, 2014 - 06:21 AM.

#3 gunstuff1000 OFFLINE  

gunstuff1000
  • Member No: 40822
  • 924 Thanks
  • 555 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 10:24 AM

I recently picked one of these units up for a friend that collects simplicity tractors it has a briggs model u engine with a atmospheric gas tank He said they are not real rare or anything but they do have value to them. I picked this one up for him at $200 I'm sure it's worth more if nothing else that motor is worth somethingimage.jpg
  • Alc and Mike Unwin have said thanks

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 10:50 AM

If i remember correctly there was a model J.

Welcome to GT Talk, glad you joined.

#5 Indygbd1 OFFLINE  

Indygbd1
  • 42 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 10:53 AM

I have a model J.  The one wheel simplicity garden tractor was made is 1939 I believe.  It was known as a Model A or a culti-cutter.  It looks like Simplicity built them for Montgomery Ward and also make a few of their own to sell under the Simplicity name.    It was red in color not orange.  Here are photos of another one that I have.  It is pretty cool!  I have not restored it yet.  Those are usually my winter projects...  Take a look at this one I have.  Let me know if you guys know how rare they are.  I have been around Simplicity walk behinds for years, and never knew they made a one wheel until I saw this one a month ago.

#6 Indygbd1 OFFLINE  

Indygbd1
  • 42 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 11:04 AM

See my New post for photos.  Since I was a new member it would not let me add photos to my first post.  See new post titled Simplicity one wheel post 2. 

#7 Indygbd1 OFFLINE  

Indygbd1
  • 42 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 11:07 AM

Attached are more photos of the other One wheel Simplicity tractor I have.  What can you guys tell me about them?  How rare are they?  What are they worth?  I know it is difficult to find one with the original fender on it.  This one came with the Briggs you see and the original Lauson motor.  I guess most people pulled the Lauson off and switched motors with something more powerful  Luckily I have the Lauson engine too!

Let me know what you think.

Attached Thumbnails

• A 1.png
  • A 2.png
  • A 3.png
  • A 4.png

Edited by Indygbd1, June 07, 2014 - 11:11 AM.

#8 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 12:24 PM

I think you are a Simplicity walk behind collector, is that a model VA or Special i see in the back ground ??

I also think you made off with a sweet find along with the Lauson engine :thumbs:

Welcome to GT Talk :dancingbanana:

Edited by trowel, June 07, 2014 - 12:25 PM.

#9 Indygbd1 OFFLINE  

Indygbd1
  • 42 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 03:33 PM

I do have a few Simplicity Walk Behind Tractors. I also have a few wards tractors. My favorite is my all original model W. That thing is a beast!
  • trowel said thank you