28 replies to this topic

#1 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 1,106 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 08:42 AM

I started on my t65 yesterday. Unfortunately, I do not own my own home, so space is limited, and no 220v in the garage. That means Small compressor, and no sand blaster, so I am stuck refinishing it the hard way. (thank God my arc welder has an engine)

I was out in the driveway after work yesterday enjoying my favorite adult beverage, and thought to see how the Aircraft paint stripper would work on a fender, and the next thing ya know, I am painting it! Then I stripped the front grill. I know, I know, I should have torn the tractor down first, but one thing led to another, and well it is what it is. I plan on getting more done this weekend, and will post more pics along the way. I will not be doing a full blown resto, but just a repaint as space, and other constraints bottleneck that idea down to a BIG fat zero.

The paint I chose was strictly off of memory, and seems close nuff for me ( second pic shows a test on grill in front of driven pulley). Obviously it won't be a show stopper, but it will certainly look better that it did. Anyway, I am not certain when this will be completely done, but plan to get alot done today, so check back for more photos along the way, and thank you all for tagging along!!!!! Enjoy. Now, off to the car-wash!!!!

Oh yea, that is a new tie-rod end thanks to our friends @ Fastenal!!!! 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG1302.jpg
  • IMAG1303.jpg
  • IMAG1309.jpg
  • IMAG1304.jpg
  • IMAG1305.jpg
  • IMAG1308.jpg
  • IMAG1310.jpg
  • IMAG1307.jpg
  • IMAG1312.jpg
  • IMAG1306.jpg

Edited by stiemmy, June 07, 2014 - 08:46 AM.

• JDBrian, sacsr, Clint and 5 others have said thanks

#2 smokestack76 OFFLINE  

smokestack76
  • Member No: 39328
  • 83 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 09:26 AM

That paint stripper works great in the sun. I used a gallon and a 1\2. That and a pressure washer 😆

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
  • stiemmy and Savageman have said thanks

#3 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 10:15 AM

LOOKING GOOD!

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 05:03 PM

How did you like that 2X paint. I've used it on some non tractor stuff and thought it worked pretty good. 

Thanks for posting the pictures of your Panzer. 

• Gabriel, stiemmy and Savageman have said thanks

#5 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 08:24 PM

I have had good results with the 2x cans. The primer covers good plus walmart sells the 25% more cans.

As for the t65 dude dont rush it take your time you got all summer. Its a nice piece and they are simple to work on. The extra work wil pay off

#6 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • Member No: 10128
  • 197 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 02:37 PM

Wow that's pretty wild that a rattle can matches up that well. Keep up the good work... I may end up using some of this paint myself :). 

#7 panzersarebest OFFLINE  

panzersarebest
  • Member No: 36584
  • 523 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 02:54 PM

I use a paint called Dupli-Color that Napa sells.

Part Number: DC DE1643

#8 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • Member No: 10128
  • 197 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 04:33 PM

I use a paint called Dupli-Color that Napa sells.

Part Number: DC DE1643

Rattle or hplv?

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
  • panzersarebest and Savageman have said thanks

#9 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 1,106 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 06:33 PM

Thanks for the nice compliments gang! ;) It has been a messy, but rewarding project up until this point!!!!

How did you like that 2X paint. I've used it on some non tractor stuff and thought it worked pretty good. 

Thanks for posting the pictures of your Panzer. 

So far, so good! It actually looks close, and not a bad color choice for going off of memory. Of coarse being it's being painted in the driveway, and isn't a pefect paint job, bud looks good at 10' or more. LOL

You are welcome!!

I didn't get a whole bunch done yesterday as it rained most of the day, but I did get it to the car-wash twice to spray it down. Still needs more cleaning, but I am doing that as I go.

I got alot done today though. Someone had added an extra plate for a Wisconsin engine as their bases are larger, and welded on studs. I will leave the extra plate on, but cut the studs off, and ground em down. Anyway, today was mostly cleaning, some grinding, and some painting. Here is my progress on the Shake em up N shoot em 2x copar......

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG1327.jpg
  • IMAG1334.jpg
  • IMAG1320.jpg
  • IMAG1321.jpg
  • IMAG1322.jpg
  • IMAG1323.jpg
  • IMAG1324.jpg
  • IMAG1325.jpg
  • IMAG1331.jpg
  • IMAG1332.jpg
  • IMAG1333.jpg
  • IMAG1335.jpg

Edited by stiemmy, June 08, 2014 - 06:34 PM.

• sacsr, Clint, panzersarebest and 3 others have said thanks

#10 panzersarebest OFFLINE  

panzersarebest
  • Member No: 36584
  • 523 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 07:10 PM

Rattle or hplv?

Rattle.

• Savageman said thank you

#11 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 1,106 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 07:18 PM

Rattle or hplv?

Yep rattle, I have a pic of the can posted. Thanks for asking.

#12 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 1,106 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 08:12 AM

That paint stripper works great in the sun. I used a gallon and a 1\2. That and a pressure washer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I went out, and bought a pressure washer yesterday for other chores, and thought about tying it on my tractor, and I must say it works very, very well for removing paint after using paint stripper. I was surprised how fast it is too!!! Great tip, and thanks!!!!! :thumbs:

Not much progress yesterday. I basically got most of the frame stripped, and  removed the rest of the hardware minus the front axle. The front axle, and frame tubes up front will need some work as the pivot is wobbled out really bad. Rather than fixing the pivot correctly, some PO welded on tube extensions with plates for the axle to slide on up, and down. These plates, and extension tubes will be coming off, and axle fixed correctly.

As you can see in the first photo, paint stripper applied to the majority of the frame, next pic shows pressure washing it standing up. I had it leaning against my utility trailer,  this method worked quite well. Last pic shows rust neutralizer applied to the frame, and such. I ended up removing most of the paint on the backing plate that I did last week, cause I got a little careless with the paint remover which sux, but oh well. 

I have had good results with the 2x cans. The primer covers good plus walmart sells the 25% more cans.

As for the t65 dude dont rush it take your time you got all summer. Its a nice piece and they are simple to work on. The extra work wil pay off

I hope you are right about the time? There is a rumor floating around at work about working 6 days a week, starting next week, and we work 10's. Right now I'm working 50, so I hope you are right!! I don't think I would get much done with one day a week off from work????

I won't be able to get anything done today as it raining, and windy, but maybe during the week?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG1346.jpg
  • IMAG1347.jpg
  • IMAG1348.jpg

Edited by stiemmy, June 15, 2014 - 12:15 PM.

• Clint, BowDown, panzersarebest and 2 others have said thanks

#13 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 1,106 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 06:49 PM

I have been busy as all getout at work, and been tinkerin with my other Panzer too, plus small shows, so this Panzer has not been moving along too fast. However, I did get the back wheels done, and a little more paint on the frame. Hoping to make some good headroom soon on this thing. I didn't use new tires, and wish I would have, but is what it is. Some before, during, and after shots.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG1429.jpg
  • IMAG1362.jpg
  • IMAG1360.jpg

• sacsr, Clint, panzersarebest and 2 others have said thanks

#14 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 07:29 PM

Looks like the rear tires are in good shape to me.
A little tire magic before the shows and every one
will b happy. Lookin Good

#15 Savageman OFFLINE  

Savageman
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53929
  • 394 Thanks
  • 262 posts

Posted August 05, 2014 - 03:36 PM

Hey Stiemmy, 

Let me first apologize for trying to push you into my way of thinking about paint.  Awesome job and looking real sharp.  Can't wait to see the final stage.  I do have one question though,  What is Aircraft Paint Stripper and where do you get it?  Been around a long time but never heard of this product.

And further more, you are the only one on my list of 16 friends that I do not know your first name.  By using a first name in a post everyone knows where the comment is going.

Dave

Edited by Savageman, August 05, 2014 - 03:37 PM.

• stiemmy said thank you