6 replies to this topic

#1 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,278 Thanks
  • 6,482 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 06:02 AM

I'm starting to get more use from the DB , the more I use it I'm getting a little better each time and finding mores way to use it too. .Started by setting the cultivator to do a section the was plowed , tilled waiting for the next crop . Then cultivated beets , hilled the potatoes , made 2 furors   1 for sweet potatoes and the other for regulator potatoes that were in the house on their way to the compost pipe lol  . The last 2 pictures is where I used the hillers  to cover the potatoes , learned that you really need to have those shanks tight , the one moved and got me so crooked it took another pass to make it look sort of straight .

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0802.JPG
  • DSCN0803.JPG
  • DSCN0804.JPG
  • DSCN0805.JPG
  • DSCN0806.JPG
  • DSCN0807.JPG
  • DSCN0808.JPG
  • DSCN0809.JPG
  • DSCN0810.JPG
  • DSCN0800.JPG
  • DSCN0801.JPG

• Bolens 1000, daytime dave, trowel and 6 others have said thanks

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 06:17 AM

Looking great :thumbs: looks like it works great, glad the plow is working out for you and everything is popping up into nice greens :smilewink:

Yeah, that's another thing i don't care much for but refuse to modify in an effort to retain it's originality, the shank holders are very simple clamps but unless it is tightened to bolt snapping tightness it will always twist and move over a short period of time, one learns quickly to check the shanks every now and then.

Another old idea i had (20 years of walk behinds and you pick up a few) was to replace the simple sliding U-clamps with the sliding clamp on serrated two bolt V-types, the teeth bite into the shanks keeping them straight and true and it can be clamped anyweres on the tool beam.

I think Brinly used this type on the 1970's vators, another is Gravely but some looking into would be required.

Edited by trowel, June 07, 2014 - 06:19 AM.

• Alc, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and superaben have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,446 Thanks
  • 17,087 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 07:29 AM

Looks great!

Is the wisconsin engine original to that tractor?

Nothing sounds better than a finely tuned Wisconsin at an idle going through the garden :thumbs:

• Alc and superaben have said thanks

#4 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 07:47 AM

Yep there were 2 models that used the Wisconsin motors.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#5 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,278 Thanks
  • 6,482 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 05:48 AM

Is the wisconsin engine original to that tractor?

I'm pretty sure it's the original , on the fuel tank you can barely make out  " DB 600 " . It's a heavy motor with even with that cultivator  frame mounted it's almost balanced front to back , if I want to pull start it from the front I have to raise the gauge wheels to lower the shanks and end then it wants to tip forward  .

• Bolens 1000 and trowel have said thanks

#6 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 6,332 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 08:34 AM

Nice work Al.  You make it sure look like you know what you are doing.  The DB and the garden look great.  Thanks for sharing those great photographs.

• Alc said thank you

• Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 01:08 PM

Wow, thanks for taking the time to post all those great pictures. I need to take the time to do more of that. I can't seem to get enough of seeing walk behind tractors in the garden. I love to see the DBs doing what they're suppose to do.

Your garden is looking great!

• Alc said thank you