• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 12:27 AM

This has nothing to do with our hobbie or maybe it has a lot to do with our hobbie as we know it.

I would like to ask all of you to take a moment to reflect on the 70th anniversary of D-Day and the sacrifices of countless people who were involved in making it a success.

If you know anyone from the greatest generation,please visit or call them and thank them,and just have a nice chat with them.There is still a lot you learn from these people---they wount be around forever.

I'll be over in the morning Ma

Thank you

Bill

• MH81, Alc, jms180 and 14 others have said thanks

#2 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,460 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 06:32 AM

It has everything to do with our way of life today, thanks to men and women willing to give all for others. My dad J.K. Wilson, landed on Omaha Beach.
  • MH81, hamman, tinbender7 and 5 others have said thanks

#3 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,609 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 07:05 AM

There are not a lot of them left. If they were 18 on that day, that would make them 88 now.

http://www.aol.com/a...nk3&pLid=484753

Edited by LilysDad, June 06, 2014 - 07:16 AM.

• hamman, tinbender7, jpackard56 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 07:34 AM

Yes remember! My uncle was a paratrooper on that mission, he said they lost almost 2/3 of the para troopers on that mission.

He past 2 yrs ago.

My other uncle died during that war when his plane went down.

I have an biography my cousin wrote when he sat down with my uncle as he explained being in the war and in Europe fighting, very great sacrifice.

• Alc, hamman, tinbender7 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 09:32 AM

Well said Bill. I have lowered our Flag here at home and after I did I took a moment to thank God and all those from The Greatest Generation for their Service and Sacrifice for us all those 70 years ago. The beaches at Normandy, where the U.S.A. defined the resolve of the American Citizens. Omaha, Gold, Utah, Juno, Point du Hoc, and Sword.                                     " HAND SALUTE "                                                                                                                             Roger.                         

• Alc, jpackard56 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 10:36 AM

Read Bill's first post this morning and now read the rest and it's brining tears to my eyes , God Bless  those men and woman for what they did for us

• hamman, jpackard56 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#7 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,306 Thanks
  • 4,658 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 10:58 AM

Read Bill's first post this morning and now read the rest and it's brining tears to my eyes , God Bless  those men and woman for what they did for us

Amen Alc

Can you imagine what kind of army the US could assemble 70 years later in our current 'gimme generation'??  It would most likely be the older folks that would step up and volunteer!  Now I know there are many youngsters that would but today's society is so different than what we had in 1944..  

Thank God for those brave young men who either died on the beaches or in Europe or anywhere else in the world during the fight for freedom! :worshippy1:

• Alc, hamman, jpackard56 and 1 other said thanks

#8 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 11:52 AM

Not to steal the thread but I would like to tell you a little bit of what my dad told me about serving in WWII.  WHen I was a little boy I asked my dad what made him join the Army? He said when the Japanese bombed Peral Harbor he and many of his friends and co-workers "  felt it was their duty to join and fight for our country."  Dad said he didn't know that he was going to get paid for serving until he got his first pay envelope at basic training. Several of the other guys there were there same way. Dad said most of them said they would of fought just for  country and home. He saw combat but wasn't at Normandy. He was a wrecker driver in the 62nd SIgnal Batallion and was shot at several times and even he and his co-driver were responsible for bringing in some prisioners.

WNY, I agree, I sure wish it wasn't this way but I believe it is.

As for today.......As I said I lowered the flag this morning and took a few moments to thank them.

" NEVER FORGET,NEVER WILL " I promise to keep telling the stories my dad told me to my children and my grand children, that is how I will honor them. 

Thanks.                                                                                                                 Roger.

Edited by hamman, June 06, 2014 - 11:53 AM.

• Alc, sacsr, jpackard56 and 3 others have said thanks

#9 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 915 Thanks
  • 1,206 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 04:48 PM

God bless all those young men who died for us 70 years ago. I had the honor of hearing a man speak on Memorial Day that landed on Omaha beach. He said if there was ever hell on earth it was that day on Omaha beach. He is 94 still active. God Bless.

Edited by jms180, June 06, 2014 - 04:49 PM.

• Alc, hamman, sacsr and 2 others have said thanks

#10 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,239 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 08:37 PM

We can't thank those people enough.

Saddest thing I ever encountered was when I was still in high school I was dating a girl who sang in church choir. I went with her one Sunday to the harrison county nursing home for their group to sing. I sat in the back and during the performance and an old man wheeled himself in and parked best me. He was wearing a world war 2 veteran ball cap. I looked at him and thanked him for her service to country. He looked at me and big tears welled up in his eyes and he said thank you so much. He proceeded to tell me his son dumped him in the home and never came and seen him. He told me he was part of the D-Day invasion and was there through the battle of the bulge and all the way to the end of the war. I went and seen him several times over the course of the course of the next few months. I would wheel him out under the old oak tree on the grounds and he would tell me war stories and I would record them in a notebook. I went to see him one day and his room was empty. He had passed away during the night.

He was a great man and had a huge impact on me the short time I knew him. God bless him.
  • Alc, hamman, Bill 76 and 1 other said thanks

#11 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,741 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 09:12 PM

I used to know two different men who were there on D-day. One went up the cliffs on Normandy and the other was an LST commander. I wish I could have recorded the conversations with them, because the wreck I had back in 2000 scrambled my memory.

I also was able to talk to a man who went into Auschwitz when it was liberated. He had a lot of pictures. It was a amazing two hours I spent talking to him.

• Alc, hamman and Bill 76 have said thanks