4 replies to this topic

#1 Stumpgrinder OFFLINE  

Stumpgrinder
  • Member No: 50816
  • 8 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 07:47 PM

Hello,

I was out mowing with the 2210 last weekend and heard a bad grinding. snapping sound and the tractor stopped.  I hopped off, opened the rear fender, put it in gear and released the clutch.  I saw the axle tube spinning on both sides of the trans but the axle was not moving.  I looked at the part diagram and cannot see how the axle tube engages the axle.  Is the axle a two part shaft, split by the differential that is engaged by the axle by a key or something that I shredded? 

My hubs are rusted on solid so I will have to cut the axle to get it out of the tube. 

I am just curious about how the axle is driven by the tube and the differential.  Since I have to cut the axle to get the hubs off and the seals are leaking around the tube due to wear, can I simply weld the axle to the tube at either end to keep it moving for now until I can find complete replacement parts?

Thanks

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 07:56 PM

Sounds like the main diff gear sheared off, only way to it is to pull the hub.

The diff is of a planetary type with orbiting gears driven by the main gear that is pined onto the main axle shaft.

If it is the gear this thread should help : http://www.simpletra...TOPIC_ID=138909

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 08:02 PM

:ditto: :yeah_that: :iagree: :good_job:

• trowel said thank you

#4 Stumpgrinder OFFLINE  

Stumpgrinder
  • Member No: 50816
  • 8 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 08:08 PM

Mayby the main gear is not ligned up any more.  When it quit moving, I shimmied the tractor to the right (toward the differential) with my butt in the seat and it engaged enough to drive it into the barn,  I will try what was suggested in the thread and see what happens.  Thanks for the help.

I am hoping I can get the 2210 up an moving enought to blow snow this winter.

I will let you know how it turn out.

Edited by Stumpgrinder, June 05, 2014 - 08:11 PM.

#5 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 04:56 AM

Check to make sure the collar is still on the left side of the drive axle, me and dad re-did all the seals on his machine and when he put it back together I don't think he tightened the collar up enough. after two mowings it quit driving and he freaked out, thought he had cooked the rear. on inspection we just pushed the gear and hub back in place and replaced the collar.

Be careful, when you push the gear/hub back into the differential you will need to hold the other side tire in, if you don't you may push the axle thru the tube and nock the woodruff keys out of the gear.  then you will need to disassemble the rear axle to put it back together.

Pete

• trowel said thank you