122 replies to this topic

#76 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 07:09 AM

If you don,t mind me being nosy, what do you use to clean your carbs ? I am doing one now and was ready to dump the CLR in a container with the carb when I read the instructions. Do not use on aluminum so I used vinegar and time. I have some Coleman but really don,t like messing with flammable fluids. Cheers Mike

I soak them in gas to remove the various layers of paint and then either: 1) soda blast them, 2) soak them in Coke, or 3) boil them in lemon juice outside.

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, July 16, 2014 - 07:10 AM.

• IamSherwood, trowel and Mike Unwin have said thanks

#77 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,325 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 09:43 AM

Looking good, sorry about the head being less than true.
At least you caught it now and not after assembly.
  • trowel and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#78 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 06:34 AM

Finally caught a break!  Got a call from the machine shop yesterday saying the head is done & asking if am I okay with an employee dropping it off after work?  You bet!  Extra bonus: it only cost $30 delivered.  Photos later.

• MH81 and trowel have said thanks

#79 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 08:50 PM

Rolling thunder, or at least rolling chassis.  I got tired of walking into and around the gear case hanging from the rafters on my garage, and I was starting to forget where I had squirreled away the various parts and pieces.  Still can't find the bolts for mounting the engine.  Maybe I will just buy more tomorrow.

Before I forget, here are the photos of the head.  Sits flat against the block.

DSCF7613.JPG DSCF7614.JPG

I started with putting the ratchet hubs together.  For those of you who having been waiting patently, the paper clip ratchet springs worked perfectly.  At least, they did once I realize two of them had to operate in the opposite direction.  Notice the hubs look identical, but the cotter pin holes are on opposite sides of the pawl indents.  Other than that, they are identical.  

DSCF7615.JPG DSCF7616.JPG DSCF7617.JPG DSCF7618.JPG DSCF7619.JPG

After that, I removed all the masking tape from the gearbox and greased all the fittings.  Then I mounted the gear case to the engine carrier and slid on the ratchet hubs & wheels. 

DSCF7620.JPG DSCF7621.JPG

Adding the handlebars was less simple.  I forgot to straighten the lower right side, so it flared out & needed to be brought back inline with the bolt & nut.  I am sure I chipped some of the paint.  

DSCF7622.JPG DSCF7623.JPG DSCF7626.JPG DSCF7628.JPG DSCF7629.JPG

It will be great to have this one out of the shop. Not just because it has been a battle, but because JTrojek just picked this up for me:

IMG_20140717_140859.jpg post-8084-0-76710300-1395093938.jpg

It is a Waterloo built Simpson Supremacy 30.  It is an inigma rapped in a puzzle.  The engine has 1951 build date, but the tractor should have been built in 1954 - 1956.  However, the serial number puts gives it a 1951 build date, just like the engine.  Unfortunately, the engine is a Wisconsin ABN, not a Briggs Model 9 like the tractor originally had.  So, the serial number matches the engine, but the engine isn't original to the tractor.  The only thing I can think of is that Waterloo re-started their numbering for this model line of tractors, unlike every other model line they developed.  

Model 30 No1.jpg Model 30 No2.jpg

• Alc, IamSherwood, trowel and 2 others have said thanks

#80 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 09:14 PM

Now i understand why you was asking about the model 9, i hope you find one for it.

A rolling frame, it looks great ! really becoming a tractor now !

#81 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 07:47 PM

Well, that likely falls squarely into the category of "crap I should have checked 2 weeks ago."  

I got the engine shroud back on today.  Test fired it with carb cleaner.  It runs, or will once I get the carb cleaned, the tank painted and a fuel line run.  What it doesn't do is fit.  The engine's mounting holes are 5 1/8" by 7 3/4" on centers.  The original holes one the tractor are 3 1/8" by 6 3/8" on centers.  Someone added three hole to fit an engine with mounting holes at 4 7/8" by 7 5/8" on centers.  Maybe it will fit with 5/16" bolts instead of the 3/8" ones it should have.  If not, I am back to robbing the Choremaster or using the 900.  Neither are particularly pleasant options.  Maybe in the light of new day ...  Oh, and the 8" driven pulley is bent.

DSCF7632.JPG DSCF7633.JPG Eng carrier holes.jpg

• trowel and LilysDad have said thanks

#82 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 08:29 PM

Jeeze, Mark, can't catch a break with this tractor.

Engine look good all painted.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#83 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 06:48 AM

I know that feeling, someone turned my Waterloo mounting plate into Swiss cheese should have took a picture . I know at one time mine had a 6 hp gear reduction Briggs motor on it,the motor was bolted to a piece of wood bolted to the mounting plate. Too bad these old tractors can,t talk... It is looking good for you Mark. Cheers Mike

• IamSherwood and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#84 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 04:30 PM

Crisis averted!  One question answered and another one asked.

Well, the 5/16" bolts did the trick & the engine fits on the tractor.

DSCF7650.JPG

If you don,t mind me being nosy, what do you use to clean your carbs ? I am doing one now and was ready to dump the CLR in a container with the carb when I read the instructions. Do not use on aluminum so I used vinegar and time. I have some Coleman but really don,t like messing with flammable fluids. Cheers Mike

Today was "clean the carb" day.  It had been soaking in Coke for a couple of days, and it was time to remove it.  Here is what it looked like coming out of the Coke and after a bit of tooth brush work.  

DSCF7634.JPG DSCF7635.JPG DSCF7636.JPG DSCF7637.JPG DSCF7638.JPG

Here is what it looked like after soda blasting.  I bought the gun at Princess Auto, our inferior version of Harbour Freight.  Took 3 loads, or 3/4 of a box of soda.  At $2 a box, it is a cheap task.  On a side note, soda blasting is one of those things you should not do with a cell phone in your pocket.

DSCF7639.JPG DSCF7640.JPG DSCF7641.JPG DSCF7642.JPG DSCF7643.JPG DSCF7644.JPG DSCF7645.JPG DSCF7646.JPG DSCF7647.JPG

When I took the carb off, it had three gaskets.  Is this correct?

DSCF7648.JPG DSCF7649.JPG

• IamSherwood, trowel, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#85 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 05:16 PM

Cool, very clean, three gaskets are used as shims to set the ideal gov to throttle location, some of the other Clintons had a air deflector plate sandwiched between two gaskets, have another with several of the plates.

Edited by trowel, July 19, 2014 - 05:17 PM.

• IamSherwood, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and Mike Unwin have said thanks

#86 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 20, 2014 - 05:40 PM

Slow, lazy day but I still managed to get some small projects done on the tractor.  Mostly painting & installing.  I painted the tank (finally), the Draw Bar Pin, and two drive pulleys (2.5" & 3") that I may or may not use. I installed the throttle mechanism and the data plate.  Notice that two driven screws are different lengths.  Intentional or poor QA?  Who knows. I also started making the belt guides & fuel line but I need the drive pulleys installed to get the final lengths for the guides, and the tank installed for the fuel line measurements.

DSCF7654.JPG DSCF7658.JPG DSCF7661.JPG DSCF7666.JPG DSCF7668.JPG

• IamSherwood and LilysDad have said thanks

#87 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted July 20, 2014 - 05:53 PM

attachicon.gif   I bought the gun at Princess Auto, our inferior version of Harbour Freight.  Took 3 loads, or 3/4 of a box of soda.  At $2 a box, it is a cheap task.  On a side note, soda blasting is one of those things you should not do with a cell phone in your pocket.

Does this use common baking soda or something special?

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#88 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 20, 2014 - 05:53 PM

Oh, and I was wrong about someone drilling extra holes in the engine carrier.  The manual indicates they belong there.  Now I am wondering why they don't fit the Clinton bolt pattern.

manual page.jpg

• trowel said thank you

#89 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 20, 2014 - 05:54 PM

Does this use common baking soda or something special?

Common baking soda is all I used.  Picked up a cheap box at the dollar store.

• IamSherwood, trowel and LilysDad have said thanks

#90 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 20, 2014 - 08:22 PM

I know that feeling, someone turned my Waterloo mounting plate into Swiss cheese should have took a picture ....

Well this is a strange one,on my Waterloo 20 the front face had been cut at both corners and bent horizontal....

I found the photo of your engine carrier.  Swiss cheese should have so many holes!  I hadn't noticed the front piece bent straight out before.

model 20 right side.jpg

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, July 20, 2014 - 08:24 PM.

• trowel said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: waterloo walk behind