Rolling thunder, or at least rolling chassis. I got tired of walking into and around the gear case hanging from the rafters on my garage, and I was starting to forget where I had squirreled away the various parts and pieces. Still can't find the bolts for mounting the engine. Maybe I will just buy more tomorrow.
Before I forget, here are the photos of the head. Sits flat against the block.
I started with putting the ratchet hubs together. For those of you who having been waiting patently, the paper clip ratchet springs worked perfectly. At least, they did once I realize two of them had to operate in the opposite direction. Notice the hubs look identical, but the cotter pin holes are on opposite sides of the pawl indents. Other than that, they are identical.
After that, I removed all the masking tape from the gearbox and greased all the fittings. Then I mounted the gear case to the engine carrier and slid on the ratchet hubs & wheels.
Adding the handlebars was less simple. I forgot to straighten the lower right side, so it flared out & needed to be brought back inline with the bolt & nut. I am sure I chipped some of the paint.
It will be great to have this one out of the shop. Not just because it has been a battle, but because JTrojek just picked this up for me:
It is a Waterloo built Simpson Supremacy 30. It is an inigma rapped in a puzzle. The engine has 1951 build date, but the tractor should have been built in 1954 - 1956. However, the serial number puts gives it a 1951 build date, just like the engine. Unfortunately, the engine is a Wisconsin ABN, not a Briggs Model 9 like the tractor originally had. So, the serial number matches the engine, but the engine isn't original to the tractor. The only thing I can think of is that Waterloo re-started their numbering for this model line of tractors, unlike every other model line they developed.