#61 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 08:18 PM

So, how does it work?  Am I missing pieces?  Anyone got pics?

The first Simplicity tillers were supplied by Gilson and that is the only place I can find anything on the bolts - the Gilson tiller manual. Have to look at the tractors because I have installed the bolts but forget what they went into.

Garry

Attached Thumbnails

• Gilson wheel locking bolt Screen shot.jpg

• MH81, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and Mike Unwin have said thanks

#62 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 05:40 PM

Thanks GWest.  You got me thinking & I went to check the other "tiller / reverse ready" tractor.  It has all five holes drilled, but it is also a larger tractor.  It has standard lug bolts installed in all the holes.  No help there.  Went to check my other model 20.  It only has 3 holes drilled.  Didn't pull the hubs to see if they frame the part number or not. 

Today I skipped working on the engine.  I realized I still wanted to repaint the gear case assembly to cover the chipped paint.  I slung it from the rafters, scuffed it with a green Brillo, washed it with Methyl Alcohol, dried it with a lint cloth, then shot green & clear coat.  It will need a week or more to cure, so that will give me time to work on the engine & remaining rim.

10a.jpg 10b.jpg 10c.jpg 11a.jpg 11b.jpg

Then I went to haul wood with the Allis.

12.jpg

• MH81, IamSherwood, trowel and 1 other said thanks

#63 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 07:36 PM

Looks odd in a coat of silver,.....never the less in time it will be green :D

That B700 looks great shape, does it run ? has the cool cast curved intake horn.

I don't know if it runs.  I haven't even had time to see if it turns over.  Maybe next time I trip over it, I will bother to see if it has spark.

• trowel said thank you

#64 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 07:44 PM

Long day at work, and a short day in the garage.  Only got the other rim and the other side of the two wheel weights painted.

DSCF7563.JPG DSCF7564.JPG DSCF7565.JPG

• trowel said thank you

#65 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 05, 2014 - 07:48 PM

Started on the engine last night, and got the block & flywheel painted today.

Last night I pulled off the head, carb, base, bearing plate, etc.  It will get a new base gasket, bearing plate gasket & oil seal.  I also installed a kill wire, like the Waterloos had.  The last paint job came off with a gasoline wash.  After a brake cleaner rinse and some masking, it was on with the primer & top coat.  Not sure, but I think the flywheel end of the crankshaft may have been broken off at sometime.  It is just long enough for the nut without a lock washer.  May need some welding.

1.jpg 2a.jpg 2b.jpg 3a.jpg 3b.jpg 3c.jpg 4a.jpg 4b.jpg 5.jpg 5b.jpg

• IamSherwood, trowel and LilysDad have said thanks

#66 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 08:31 PM

I thought it was just the tractor that wanted to stay dead.  I was wrong.  Even the replacement engine is giving me troubles.  Once I cleaned up the bearing plate, I was able to see that it has some serious cracks. 

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Spent a couple of days looking for one on the net.  Finally did what all of you would have done: I robbed the one off the Choremaster.  That will buy me some time to look for a replacement & still allow me to move forward on this tractor. One the upside, it has a good oil seal.  Anyway, tonight I managed to get the replacement cleaned & the various parts re-installed.  I also had to drill two holes for the kill wire.  The old plate will go on the Choremaster temporarily.  Maybe tomorrow I can get the points set & see if I get spark.

DSCF7592.JPG DSCF7594.JPG DSCF7595.JPG DSCF7596.JPG DSCF7597.JPG DSCF7598.JPG

• IamSherwood, trowel and Mike Unwin have said thanks

#67 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 08:34 PM

..  That B700 looks great shape, does it run ? ...

No, it would not have run.  The points were corroded & the condenser wire was bad. It may have run with those items replaced.  Only time will tell.

• trowel said thank you

#68 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 04:48 PM

Only minor progress this week.  I managed to get the gas tank, shroud, etc cleaned up & on their way to painting.  I have tested it and the engine does have spark.  Now if only I had a spark plug wire end cap ...

6.jpg 7.jpg 9.jpg

• trowel said thank you

#69 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 05:38 PM

One step at a time, your getting there Mark.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#70 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 01:58 PM

More bad news & delays.  The head is warped.  The head gasket is squished flat on three out of 6 bolt holes.  Another $40 down the drain.  Won't be ready until Friday or early next week.

• MH81 and trowel have said thanks

#71 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 03:40 PM

From one end to the other, no matter, you are in good hands here, if i don't have the head and/or gasket Ben will or if you are willing to wait a bit, pull contacts for the needed parts.

Mark, i ended up scraping the original engine on the DB Rotary Spader before total rebuild, done that to many tractors and power equipment, we just do the absolute best we can.

Here's a sneak peek.

dbtiler.JPG

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner and LilysDad have said thanks

#72 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 08:10 PM

Thanks, Trowel.  I appreciate the support.  I will see how things look when I get the head back from the shop.  I have a spare gasket.  If it all sits flat, I should be okay.  If not, I will just rob the entire engine off the Choremaster.  It is just another minor setback on the long road to "pride of ownership".  

The Rotary Spader looks great! Love the red strips & lettering on the engine.  Red on black really pops.

• trowel said thank you

#73 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 08:29 PM

If you don,t mind me being nosy, what do you use to clean your carbs ? I am doing one now and was ready to dump the CLR in a container with the carb when I read the instructions. Do not use on aluminum so I used vinegar and time. I have some Coleman but really don,t like messing with flammable fluids. Cheers Mike

• trowel and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#74 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 04:53 AM

Thanks, Trowel.  I appreciate the support.  I will see how things look when I get the head back from the shop.  I have a spare gasket.  If it all sits flat, I should be okay.  If not, I will just rob the entire engine off the Choremaster.  It is just another minor setback on the long road to "pride of ownership".  

The Rotary Spader looks great! Love the red strips & lettering on the engine.  Red on black really pops.

Thanks, someday i will pull her out and show you guys, did a little creative painting with the engine, lol, not OEM but it really pops !

Glad to hear of it, you are close, every day i open the computer looking forwards to updated progresses on the Waterloo 20.

#75 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 04:55 AM

If you don,t mind me being nosy, what do you use to clean your carbs ? I am doing one now and was ready to dump the CLR in a container with the carb when I read the instructions. Do not use on aluminum so I used vinegar and time. I have some Coleman but really don,t like messing with flammable fluids. Cheers Mike

Diesel.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: waterloo walk behind