#46 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 04:23 PM

Just guessing could it be a speed reducer for a accessory of some type ? You find all the neat stuff keep that one for the museum. Cheers mike

Yeah, like a tiller or sickle mower ?

#47 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 06:46 PM

Today was less of a slog, and maybe even a little enjoyable.  After priming/painting the Clutch Lever Shafts and the second sickle section bar, I spent some time wire-wheeling & sand blasting the ratchet hubs, clutch levers, and the 8" pulley.  I still need to buy a 9" pulley, but that's another $30 for a new pulley.  I keep hoping I will get lucky and find one laying around somewhere.  Anyway, all of todays stuff has a coat of Rust Off and will sit overnight.  Tomorrow they will get primer & the hubs will get a couple of coats of Old Cat Yellow.  I was checking my project box and I think I am down to just the rims.  Oh, and I have to make some ratchet springs.  Anyone ever make a set or know where to buy them?  Should be similar to a Simplicity or DB, I expect.

DSCN3881.JPG DSCN3882.JPG DSCN3883.JPG DSCN3884.JPG DSCN3885.JPG DSCN3886.JPG DSCN3887.JPG DSCN3888.JPG DSCN3889.JPG

• Alc and LilysDad have said thanks

#48 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 06:39 PM

Man was I wrong.  And I learned something.  It was a good day.

I started the day much as I ended it yesterday: thinking I only had 2 rims to do.  I dug out the wheels & thats when I spotted the outer portion of the 2 ratchet hub, each held on by 3 lug nuts.  Then I remembered I hadn't cleaned up the 4 ratchet dogs.  As I was cleaning the outer hubs, I remembered they each have a square key inside them.  I went from 2 rims to 16 parts.  As I was cleaning up the lug nuts, I noticed three had flat tops instead of the recessed B pattern that should be there.  No problem, I have a spare tractor I can rob.  Now I am at 19 parts.  While I am robbing the lug nuts, I notice the clutch lever rod & remember that I haven't cleaned up the spring (1), or the set collars (2).  Could not find the set collars, so I rechecked my photos.  Yup, not there when I got the tractor.  Need to rob those as well, but that means I need to take the springs as well so they don't get lost (2).  Now I am at 24 parts.  At lunch, I was sitting in my office contemplating the ratchet dog spring (4) problem when the solution suddenly hit me.  Anyone want to guess what they are made of?  Now I am at 28 parts.  

On the topic of what I learned, I was considering tossing the old throttle because it was all rusted & you can buy similar ones new.  In fact, I have ordered new ones for a couple of my tractors, but they haven't arrived yet.  I started to clean up the old one because the bolt had an interesting embossing on the head.  Anyway, I noticed that the lever had green paint on it.  It was originally green!  Now I have to save it.  A shinny chrome one just won't do.  Only there are 9 parts to it.  Now I am at 37 parts. 

If I am going to keep the original throttle, I might as well keep the original cable clamp for the other end.  Three more parts, for a final total of 40 parts.  Big jump from 2.  Everything but the outer hubs, dog springs, & the rims got wire-wheeled & sandblasted before getting dumped into a container of Rust Off.  Long day, but a lot of progress.

In no particular order, here are the photos from today:

DSCN3896.JPG DSCN3897.JPG DSCN3899.JPG DSCN3905.JPG DSCN3907.JPG DSCN3908.JPG DSCN3909.JPG DSCN3910.JPG DSCN3929.JPG DSCN3932.JPG green on throttle lever inside.jpg green on throttle lever outside.jpg

• Alc, trowel and LilysDad have said thanks

#49 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 08:21 PM

very cool, the bolts are very unique, can't say i have ever seen ones like that !

I could take a while guess at the dog springs being using the throttle cable with the ends bent in hooks ?

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#50 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 07:36 AM

Not throttle cable, but I wish I'd thought of that solution.  If the paper clips fail, I'll try throttle cable.  

• trowel said thank you

#51 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 04:39 PM

Paper clips !! no kidding :D

#52 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 12:17 PM

Why is the simple so difficult, even when it is simple?  

I have two weeks off & had hoped to get this tractor completed.  The night before my last day of work, I ran out of green paint.  No problem.  I can drop the cans off before work & pick them up after work.  That was the plan.  Simple.  When I drop the cans off & the paint tech says, "They are empty.  Not good."  I ask why.  He says he needs some to match.  I remind him that when I had him scan the part I brought in, I asked him to pick the closest stock colour & he said it was a dead on match for SpectraMaster Green.  He counters with "Yes, but I wasn't happy with the match once I mixed the paint, so I tinted it a bit.  I didn't keep the notes."  Resisting the urge to choke him, I say "do your best.  I'll pick it up after work tonight".  That's when he tells me he has 22 cans in 19 colours ahead of me.  Again, "do your best".  Anyway, I stop in after work & he has the paint.  It was a dead match for the stock colour.  He was remembering a different customer.  

So, I was cleaning up the outer hubs.  You may remember they were kind of dirty.

DSCN3905.JPG

When I got the mud & grease off, I discovered a 4th hole in one of them.  

DSCN3936.JPG

It isn't a small hole. It is 5/8" right through one of the lug nut bosses.  In fact, it is one of the ones the factory used for the lug nuts.  Notice on the other one how two out of three three lug nut holes frame the part number, with the third being across from those.  I thought originally someone stripped the thread & picked another boss.  However, the boss beside the part number has never been drilled.  Makes me wonder if it is a factory defect?

DSCN3937.JPG DSCN3938.JPG

The question now is whether to fill the hole & how?  Should I cut some 5/8" round rod & weld it in place, or just leave it.  If I leave it open, it might allow dirt into the inner hub.  If I fill it, what do I do about the section where it intrudes into the ratchet mechanism?

On the upside, I needed some cotter pins.  Stopped at TSC.  They had them for in packages of 3 for 69 cents.  Couldn't bring myself to pay that.  While I was at the parts store that mixed the paint, I asked them.  They had them by the box for $3.15 per box.

DSCN3942.JPG

• Alc, trowel and LilysDad have said thanks

#53 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 01:34 PM

Some of the the Simplicitys have a hole like that for a bolt to lock the hubs. Forget just how it was applied but kept the tiller from overdriving the axle. I'm going to take a look to see if it jogs my memory.

Garry

• MH81, trowel, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 1 other said thanks

#54 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,723 Thanks
  • 4,283 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 05:59 PM

Some of the the Simplicitys have a hole like that for a bolt to lock the hubs. Forget just how it was applied but kept the tiller from overdriving the axle. I'm going to take a look to see if it jogs my memory.

Garry

Now that you mention it, I remember hearing it too. It was also recommended for hilly ground so the tractor didn't get away from you.

#55 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 08:42 PM

So, how does it work?  Am I missing pieces?  Anyone got pics?

#56 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 01:34 PM

It looks like running out of paint was inevitable.  I started today with what I thought were two full cans of Excel brand Old Cat Yellow.  Turns out I had two part cans.  

I took a good look at the 5/8" hole today.  Now that the hub is completely clean & ready for painting, you can see a flaw deep in the hole.  Makes me think it was a factory defect in the casting.  So I left it the way it left the factory & just painted the hubs.  It all tells part of the story.

1.JPG 2a.jpg 2b.jpg 2c.jpg 2d.jpg

I have been considering tire options for this tractor.  It should have 5.00-12 tires on it, but I don't have a good set of 5.00-12 tires.  What I do have is a new set of 6-12 tires, but the rims have been powder coated JD yellow.  Some internet time revealed that powder coating can be painted.  I rubbed it down with a green Brillo pad to scuff the surface, wiped it down with Methyl Alcohol, and then shot it with Old Cat Yellow.  Looks really good.  Net says it will take longer to dry, but be hard as nails.  I don't believe everything I read on the net.  Proof will be in the pudding.   Problem is, I ran out of Excel brand OCY paint after the first rim.  I do have a can of another brand of OCY, but ...  

3a.jpg 3b.jpg 3c.jpg

I also had a set of wheel weights done when I had the rims powder coated.  Lets say attention to detail wasn't this guys strong suit.  He was also a tad stingy with the powder. 

5a.jpg 5b.jpg 5c.jpg 6a.jpg 6b.jpg

Anyway, the other brand of OCY was way off the Excel brand, and the Excel brand is a better match.  I dropped a set collar into an original rim to check the Excel brand colour before I started spraying large volumes of the Excel OCY paint.

6c.jpg 6d.jpg

• IamSherwood, trowel, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#57 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 03:28 PM

Nice, nice, regardless of the color it is really taking shape :dancingbanana:

#58 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 03:40 PM

Looking good!

#59 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 05:52 PM

Meet the replacement engine.  

DSCF7536.JPG DSCF7537.JPG

It is the mystery Clinton from another thread.  It is missing the id tag, so I am not sure what it is, but it is close enough to the B704AOA on my other 20.  The manual says it should be a B704COK, but I know of another tractor that has an original D700 and a serial number that is only 200 higher than this one.  The proper engine is likely a D700, but most people won't know at a glance.

DSCF7538.JPG DSCF7539.JPG

The other contenders were a spare 900, and a B700 that is still attached to an unmolested Choremaster.  The 900 is taller & a 3 hp engine.  I couldn't bring myself to rob the B700.  I know I would be upset if someone robbed a Waterloo to repair a Choremaster.  Same is likely true for Choremaster enthusiasts.  

DSCF7543.JPG DSCF7544.JPG DSCF7545.JPG DSCF7546.JPG DSCF7547.JPG

I will have to get rid of the offending shut off switch and maybe the recoil starter.  

DSCF7541.JPG DSCF7542.JPG

It will get a gasoline wash to remove the grey & red paint layers, followed by a parts cleaner bath, primer, and then green paint.   But first, I have to get it to run ...

• trowel and LilysDad have said thanks

#60 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 06:39 PM

Looks odd in a coat of silver,.....never the less in time it will be green :D

That B700 looks great shape, does it run ? has the cool cast curved intake horn.

Edited by trowel, July 01, 2014 - 06:41 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: waterloo walk behind