122 replies to this topic

#31 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 10:43 AM

If I had a spare, I would send it to you.  If it is for a home built unit, The shape shouldn't be that hard to make.  A handmade lever would look more appropriate on the homemade tractor.

#32 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,633 Thanks
  • 7,671 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 12:15 PM

I dug through my Wheel Horse stuff and found a spare PTO lever that might work.

#33 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 06:46 PM

This tractor is kicking my a$$ at every turn.  I am becoming convinced that it does not want to come back from the dead.  Everything fights me.  I am almost $700 into repairs and I haven't even started on the engine.

Tonight I was continuing the work on the axle collar locks.  Got as far as cleaning the goo out the set screw hole.  Crap, one of them has been cross-threaded.  No problem.  Been there before.  Dug out my good tap & die set.  Selected the correct tap.  Started to chase the threads.  Bit of resistance, but that's not unexpected.  Then I feel it give.  Threads are coming back into shape right?  But then the resistance becomes a jam.  I back it out & this is what I find:

DSCN3760.JPG

So, I move on to something else: the idler pulley.  Wire wheel, sandblast, primer & re-assembly.  Sounds easy, except the roller bearings, inner races and thrust washers were missing when I got the tractors.  I managed to get the bearings & inner races, as mentioned above, but the thrust washers are a different story.  The manual does not give a part number, so I have been scratching my head.  This morning, about 10 minutes before I left for work, I realized I have other tractors & they have the thrust washers.  Turns out they are just fat fender washers.  So I pick up some 3/8" x 1.25" fender washers after work tonight.  Only the opening is about .010" under the size of the fender washer & the idler pulley won't rotate.  Put them on a bolt & put the bolt in the drill press.  A couple of minutes of filing & they fit fine.  So now I can paint it, at last.

DSCN3762.JPG

• MH81, trowel and LilysDad have said thanks

#34 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 06:51 PM

Mark, the hard ones usually always come out the best :thumbs:  it will come with a heck of a story too ! looking good.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#35 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 07:13 PM

Like everything else, the more fight in the project, the more pride when you're done.
:thumbs: to sticking with it!
  • trowel and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#36 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 07:58 AM

It is a test, but it will be the one you remember the best years on .Think of it like fishing for the "big one" . Cheers keep us posted. Mike

• trowel said thank you

#37 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 11:27 AM

Really enjoying catching up on the project. I hope the hard stuff is behind you now.

#38 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 07:09 PM

... I hope the hard stuff is behind you now.

Me too.  The constant grind is really getting to me.  Even the simple stuff turns out to be harder than it needs to be.

I picked up a Fix-A-Thread kit today from PartsSource for $13.  Nice kit.  Comes with everything but the proper drill bit.  Fortunately I have one.

DSCN3775.JPG

The package comes with 3 inserts, all the same length: 3 turns longer than I need.  Of course.  Oh, well.  I drilled the hole, ran the tap through.  Installed the insert, cut the excess off, and ground it flush.  

DSCN3764.JPG DSCN3772.JPG DSCN3774.JPG

Enough, I say.  Maybe tomorrow I can do something simple, like make a gasket, install the oil seal & put the gearbox back together.  How hard that can be?  What can go wrong?  I don't have an oil seal installation tool.  The input shaft & bushings are bran spanking new.  Everything has a fresh coat of paint.  Oh, and there are a couple of driven grease fittings to remove & replace. Maybe I will find something easier, like weeding the garden.

#39 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 07:54 PM

Me too.  The constant grind is really getting to me.  Even the simple stuff turns out to be harder than it needs to be.

Maybe I will find something easier, like weeding the garden.

To day was clean and organize day, tomorrow will be landscaping/planting day, then maintenance and metal fab day, sunday is spend time with mother day :wallbanging:

You got it fixed and quick too !

Sometimes breaking up the days helps............with out the mother day,...

Edited by trowel, June 19, 2014 - 07:55 PM.

#40 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted June 20, 2014 - 07:33 PM

Felt like doing something less painful today, so I pulled thistles from the garden. 

Got the gear case re-assembled tonight.  Ironically, I learn a lot about painting while doing it.  I had painted everything as I went along.  I chipped most of the paint putting it back together, especially the hardware.  May have to re-paint it all.  Maybe there is a lesson in that for next time.

Started by installing the input shaft housing loosely.  Then the mid-gear.  Then the input shaft.  You need the mid-gear installed to set the depth for the input shaft housing.  That is what keeps the input gear centered on the mid-gear.  The input shaft housing is fixed in place by the set screw & jam nut on the other side of the gear case.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Once that was done, I installed the final gear & axle unit.  There is a bump on the back of the final gear that keeps it out far enough to miss the big mid-gear & mesh with the small mid-gear.

7.jpg 8.jpg

Then it was gasket, cover and then oil plugs.  The manual doesn't mention a gasket, but given the fit & finish I figured it would be prudent.  I did manage to get the oil seal (SKF 9863) installed on the first attempt.  

9.jpg 10.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg

I mentioned earlier that poor quality control may have killed the product line.  Here is another example.  The gasket is cut flush with the gear case.  Note how the cover doesn't even come close to having the same profile.

11.jpg  

Once the cover was on & the gasket trimmed, I installed the hitch with stainless hardware.  Then it was the idler pulley & idler arm.  Finally, the clutch rod end.

14.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg

Tomorrow ... the moon!  Actually, I am off to visit Jtrojek & B10Dave in Alymer in hopes of bringing home tractor #9 and maybe a sickle mower or two.

IMG_20140614_095900.jpg

• MH81, trowel, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#41 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 20, 2014 - 08:02 PM

Holy smokes ! you got the Waterloo market cornered by now !! looking like a gear box now.

#42 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 06:36 AM

You will miss the show in Lindsay !! Just kidding more tractors are better soon you can have a show at home. Good luck btw I have a extra Waterloo plow and beam,nothing else you might be interested.

#43 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 07:37 PM

Today was drill-pressing.  Made a new Clutch Lever Shaft.  I had to cut the original one off because someone had welded it to the handle bars.

DSCN3704.JPG DSCN3705.JPG

I used one from another tractor to get the initial hole locations & then used the one from this tractor to pick up the third set of holes.

DSCN3871.JPG DSCN3872.JPG DSCN3873.JPG DSCN3874.JPG

Which brings me to yesterday.  I went to see JTrojek & B10Dave.  One of the things I picked up was a Simplicity walk behind with a tiller attachment.  I was hoping it would fit on one of my Waterloos, but alas, that is not to be.  The handle spacing isn't correct.  Anyway, I was using the tractor that I thought had the tiller mechanism on it to see if the tiller would fit.  That's when I realized that this tractor also has 3 sets of holes in the Clutch Lever Shaft!  Maybe that mechanism isn't for a tiller, but for the reverse after all?  The third set of holes isn't in exactly the same location, but ...

DSCN3860.JPG Tiller frame problem.jpg DSCN3853.JPG DSCN3854.JPG DSCN3855.JPG

Anyone recognize the mystery mechanism?

While I had the drill press set up for making repetitive holes, I also made a second section bar for my Allis.  Trowel got me a set of knives, so I thought I would have two bars: one for rough terrain, and one for hay.  I aligned the old bar on the new blank.  Drilled the first hole near the middle & then dropped a rivet in the hole to keep the bars aligned.  Same at the end.  Then it was just a matter of drilling 44 more hole for rivets & 3 for bolts.  I also made a Clutch Lever Shaft for one of my 30s.  If all goes well, they will get primer tomorrow.

DSCN3875.JPG DSCN3876.JPG DSCN3878.JPG DSCN3879.JPG DSCN3880.JPG

#44 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 07:47 PM

Well, how about that ! interesting, for reverse seems the most likely but just to throw it out there, could the third hole be for a handle actuating a two speed pulley ?

The Simplicity looks like a VC model, drat on the tiller mounting.

That's cool, two head for the sickle, this is going to be sweet :thumbs:

#45 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 04:09 PM

Just guessing could it be a speed reducer for a accessory of some type ? You find all the neat stuff keep that one for the museum. Cheers mike

• trowel said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: waterloo walk behind