IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 07:18 PM

Sounds like you had a productive day. It's looking good. How do you use the duck? I know of putting copper behind a hole to weld it shut but the duck looks like it would be awkward to use.

Unless it's a well trained duck, that stays on command, I'm wondering the same thing.

There must be a secret trick to it.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#17 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,719 Thanks
  • 4,279 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 07:24 PM

Unless it's a well trained duck, that stays on command, I'm wondering the same thing.

There must be a secret trick to it.

I was thinking a trick duck that stands on its head. The only flat spot is on the bottom unless the back is wide and flat enough to lay the piece across.

#18 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 07:29 PM

The duck is flat on the bottom, but has every conceivable curve on it somewhere.  It always fits exactly where it is needed to backstop a weld.  It is brass so the weld never sticks, but is reasonably smooth on the bottom side.  I hold it in place while I weld.

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, June 11, 2014 - 07:30 PM.

#19 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 07:30 PM

Maybe a ring magnet in the base?

#20 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 08:07 PM

I thought today was going to be all about the handle bar assembly, but the tractor had other ideas: it wanted to talk, and oh what stories it told.

The handle bar assembly was in rough shape: the clutch lever shaft was welded to the handle bars, the throttle lever had been moved, the throttle cable was held on with jubilee clamps, they needed to be re-painted, and the grips were worn to limits.  Should be simple fixes.  Cut the shaft, remove the the offending pieces and then prepare the bars for painting.

DSCN3700.JPG DSCN3701.JPG DSCN3702.JPG DSCN3705.JPG DSCN3706.JPG DSCN3707.JPG

All went well until the shaft bounced off the table & landed in an unusual position.  That is when I spied the third set of holes!  What ever could they be for?  The 1st set is for the powered implements.  The second set is for the clutch.  It took me a couple of hours to remember that Waterloo introduced a reverse mechanism in the mid 50's.  None of my manuals show it, or make reference to a different shaft.  Guess that dates my manuals.

DSCN3744 with arrows.jpg

Later on, I was doing some mindless wire-wheeling with the grinder when all of a sudden, this pops up!

DSCN3727.JPG

I had to get a better look, so I cut the ratty old hand grips off.  Thats when surprise #3 struck.

DSCN3743.JPG

They are yellow!  Everyone I had seen was white, or so they appeared.  Guess they are just sun faded.

Anyway, here is what the rest of the imprinting said.

DSCN3730.JPG

To top it all off, I got to use my rebuilt sickle mower & the Allis HB112 today to cut some clover for our rabbits.  Off topic, I know, but it was fun.

DSCN3719.JPG DSCN3720.JPG DSCN3717.JPG DSCN3718.JPG DSCN3721.JPG DSCN3722.JPG DSCN3723.JPG

• trowel, VSTROM803, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#21 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 08:14 PM

Very cool, David Bradley, Planet Jr, Gravely and others has the steel companies maker's mark rolled onto the handle bars. That is cool, your tractor is prepped for the ad-on reverse. Never knew it was even offered for the Waterloos.

Glad to see Sickle service was able to provide the needed teeth, looks like it cuts very well, i need to pull out mines and try it.

#22 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 08:36 PM

Actually, I had to reuse the teeth.  I emailed Sickle Service twice but never got a response.  Guess the US economy is back running on all cylinders & they don't need customers.  I tried using their online store, but when you go to check out, it tells you the item exceeds the maximum length for shipping.  That's why I emailed them.

#23 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 08:45 PM

Actually, I had to reuse the teeth.  I emailed Sickle Service twice but never got a response.  Guess the US economy is back running on all cylinders & they don't need customers.  I tried using their online store, but when you go to check out, it tells you the item exceeds the maximum length for shipping.  That's why I emailed them.

What ? that's BS !! i just got a bran new Flo-Jet carb in the mail yesterday shipped from your country.

How many do you need and which type of teeth? i'll contact them myself with the specs, i want to order new teeth for mines too and this may be it then.

#24 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 08:51 PM

SKU is 207-232.  I'd like to get 30.  That's enough to replace them all & still have spares.  I will bring the cash to Keene this weekend.

http://www.sickleser...er-section.html

• trowel said thank you

#25 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 09:14 PM

How about rivets, you need them too ?

#26 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 09:20 PM

No, I managed to find those locally.  Book calls for #6 x 1/2", but 3/16" x 1/2" worked just fine.  Got a box of 100 overnighted for $15.

• trowel said thank you

#27 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 09:48 PM

No, I managed to find those locally.  Book calls for #6 x 1/2", but 3/16" x 1/2" worked just fine.  Got a box of 100 overnighted for $15.

Your order has been received

Thank you for your purchase!

Your order # is:
You will receive an order confirmation email with details of your order and a link to track its progress.

As soon as i get the tracking # i'll let you know, shipping is slow up here in the hills even with UPS.

Edited by trowel, June 13, 2014 - 09:50 PM.

#28 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 07:01 PM

Today was help the wife in the garden day, so only minor progress.  Primed, painted & clear coated the handlebars & engine carrier.  Tomorrow I am off to Keene for the 18th Annual Father's Day Smoke & Steam Show.  Maybe Monday I will get back to playing "Where is Waldo".  I need clean nuts & bolts for putting the tractor back together.

DSCF7462.JPG DSCF7460.JPG DSCF7461.JPG

• MH81 and trowel have said thanks

#29 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 06:10 PM

Today was a crappy day for a couple of reasons, but I still managed to learn more about the tractor.  

I only had an hour, so I tackled an easy job: the clutch rod.  It was bent out of shape in two directions.  It was easy enough to straighten, but it just looked wrong so I took it over to some of my other tractors.  It enters the clutch lever from the opposite side when compared to my 15 & my other 20, but the same side when compared to my 40's.  It is also longer than the 15 & 20 rods.  At some point, Waterloo switched the design to better accommodate ... something.  

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

4.JPG 6a.jpg

6b 40.jpg 6c 40.jpg 6d 40 3098.jpg

6.jpg

Also, the bottom hole is not drilled throught the center of the rod.  Again with the poor quality control.

7.jpg

My next surprise came when I gathered the axle collar locks for degreasing.  First off, there were only 3 of them.  My 15 had 4: two to lock the axle in the Gearbox, and two more to keep the wheels in place.  This tractor has, and the manual specifies, three: two for the wheels & 1 for the axle.  Again with the cost cutting.

9.jpg

The next surprise came after I degreased the axle collar locks: one is green and the other two are yellow.  Makes sense when you think about it, which I hadn't.  The rims and hubs are yellow.  Only makes sense those collar locks would also be yellow.

8.jpg

• MH81, trowel and LilysDad have said thanks

#30 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,619 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 06:57 PM

I wish I could find where to get one of those clutch levers like you have. I still need to figure out the clutch for my homebuilt. Your hoto was erfect to show me how to.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: waterloo walk behind