Time to start a thread on restoring my Waterloo 20. It is serial number 6455, which gives it an approximate build date of 1955 or 1956, assuming my dating technique is not erroneous. This tractor came to me without an engine, so I had to use another tractor to date it. I have a Waterloo model 182 (sold under the model name of "Boy") bearing serial number 6155. It has an original Briggs 6S engine with a build date of February 1955.
When I got the tractor, it had a hideous Briggs with a reduction gearbox. Someone had welded a mounting plate onto the frame so the engine & gearbox would align with the driven pulley. I cut that off shortly after getting the tractor. I also opened the gearbox & dealt with the rust issues back then.
One of the main stumbling block to getting started on the restoration has been the bearings for the idler pulley. Stupid, I know. I have a manual. It specifies a B108x roller bearing and an IR-612-1 inner race. The bearing was $5.34, but the inner race was $33.26. I need two of each. Too expensive for this lad. That would be more than I paid for the tractor. I was thinking it would be a parts tractor. Recently, I found an alternate for the inner race (IR 061012) for just $9.80 per so we are off to the races with the resto. So far, I have cleaned up the gearbox, cover and hitch.
I am going to need to do some welding & metal work on the frame. One of the lugs is missing and there is a crack that was revealed when I removed the mounting plate.
As I dig deeper into this project, I begin to wonder if the product line was the victim of poor QA. Note the mold crack, uneven finish and the deep grinding on the cover.