Garden Tractor Forums banner

Newbie In Tennessee Looking For 110 Or Similar.

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  plinker4life 
#1 ·
Let's just start off that my 2 year old son loves tractors. Recently I had my dads Kubota L3800 for a month to clean up around the house. Well the time came to return the tractor and my little boy almost had a melt down. He loves John Deere tractors so I would like to find a 110 or something similar "seems they are pretty common" for some fun time use. Will use mostly to pull a wagon/trailer. But the plow and tiller attachments look to be useful also.

I am very mechanically inclined have rebuilt 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines. I also tinker with gunsmithing . So I am not afraid of projects.

It seems to me majority of the garden tractor enthusiasts are up north.

So my question's as follows.

1. Anywhere or anyone semi local to me in Middle Tennessee that has a junkyard or collections of garden tractors?

2. What are reasonable price range to pay for a John Deere 110. Say from a complete not running tractor to fully restored. I am just trying to keep form getting screwed.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
you might think about the JD 200 series, so there should be more around ( 13 years)

they were made for more years than the 110 or 112 single fender ( about 7 years)

unless you are looking for the round fender 110 or 112 (make for about 5 years)

the attachments for 110 single fender and the 200 series will work on them

the attachments for 110 round fender the are different

for a non-working or one that need a lot of work - I would not pay over $100 for it

for a good working - you can figure around $200 to $500 with a mower deck at less

good luck in your search

and welcome to the forums

it is a good place to got a lot on info and there is a lot of great people here that will try yo help

#3 ·
Down here you can pick up a running 110 for about 100 to 500 depending on the shape and what part of town you are looking. One that is not running and needs a lot of repair probably around $50. I even had one given to me about 2 years ago. Just needed a battery.

Welcome to GTtalk. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Reactions: sacsr
#4 ·
You don't really say which type or year of 110 you are looking for, early model round fender, or later model flat fender? With the market going the way it is right now, you'll more than likely be able to pick up a later model flat fender cheaper than you will an early model round fender.

Depending on condition and attachment quantities, you'll more than likely be spending between $300-$600 for a round fender 110, and anywhere between $50-$300 for a decent flat fender 110. To help keep restoration cost low, try and find yourself one that won't need transmission and motor work. If this is possible, you'll be spending between $600-$800 for a total restoration, assuming you'd be taking everything down to the bare frame and spraying each piece individually.

Keep us posted on your search and progress, and whatever you do, be sure to post of pictures of you find. We're always here if you need help, so don't be bashful to asking questions. Good Luck to you! :thumbs:

#5 ·
#6 ·
I'd go for the third one and offer $250. That is a later 110 73 or 74 due to pto on dash.

#7 ·
Welcome from one Tennessean to another! Tractors are around here, you just have to watch and be ready to buy.... Nowhere near as common as seem to be around for our northern brothers though! Attachments seem to be the really rare items more to the south. Keep your eyes open for package deals - tractors with accessories, even if you pay a little more...

Best of luck in your searching!

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello Plinkerforlife

I live in Knoxville, Tennessee and occasionaly come across some nice John Deere 110's. The round fener tractor's run for more money than the later made flat fender tractor's as they are now considered to be collectible. I sold a Nice low hour Model 110 a couple of weeks ago on our local Craigs list. As close as I could figure it was made in 1965 time span. It featured the factory Kohler Eight horse power engine and it had a variator with a Four speed Transmission. The mowing deck was super nice and quiet and it sold for $650.00 it needed nothing it was completly service by me and ready to mow with. The guy that Bought it wanted it to Pull a Five foot self contained Grooming mower behind it to mow his Three Plus acres of grass with it. His Eight Year old son was going to be the rider of it. I also sold another round fender John Deere 110 that was anice looking Tractor and it had a nice mowing deck as well. it featured a newer generation engine on it being The Kohler Eight Horse Power Magnum series engine. It was a Pull start engine but it had very low hour's on it that Tractor sold for $450.00. I can keep you in mind in the future when I come across another one I do get them from time to time if you like ? Here is that low hour 1965 John Deere 110 that just sold two weeks ago I am currently working on an Older International Harvester Cub Cadet. I believe it was made in 1965 or so. It features a rebuilt Ten Horsepower Kohler engine and is a Hydrostatic transmission machine. it's model number is 105 and it has a 42" Three blade cutting deck. It's owner had the engine rebuilt as well as all new deck bearings placed in it then shortly there after passed away. It has sat for a little over a year now so I will have to clean it's Carburetor, Gas Tank, check the Point's and condenser to get it up and running. It is in Excellent shape and even has all four of it's original tires that still have 80% of therir tread on them as well as the Original Blue & white seat cushion that still look like new. if something like this Interests you just PM me about it. It will be sold when I am done servicing it for $650.00 Cub Cadet's of that vintage are very tough to find in nice shape like this one is and very collectible they are as durable as the older John Deere's were too. .I do not have any Picture's yet of this Cub Cadet I am working on but it is as nice as the John Deere 110 shown below. I don't just buy and flip these vintage lawn Tractor's. They all come through my shop and get a full service if they need something they get it as I sell them to People in the same condition that I would want them for myself they are fully checked out and repaired as though I was going to keep and use them myself I have been doing this for the past 30 Plus years and have never had anyone come back with issues of any lawn & garden tractor that I have sold them, and I have many Repeat customer's due to my honesty and high quality older machines if they are worn out or have many mechainical issues I do not purchase them to begin with.. Regards, Hammerdown

001_zps564444f6.jpg

002_zps8f5c6c2c.jpg

003_zps198364de.jpg

004_zps4e30afa0.jpg

005_zps7c9ebf4d.jpg

#10 ·
The first tractor (round fender) doesn't have the original motor, and I think is way over priced. Looks to be a 1966 110.

The second tractor will need some work, but again, I think over priced as well. Guessing the year of this tractor to be 1971/1972.

The third tractor would be a good project and is priced reasonable, but like Travis said above, I'd give an offer first.

I realize you're wanting to stay local in finding a tractor, and I realize your son is wanting one badly, but sometimes it really pays to be patient. Don't pay or settle for something that is going to be nothing but problems later. Eventually you'll find a good tractor that won't need as much work as the ones you have listed, and will be in the right price range. These first two tractors are well over priced for the amount of work you're going to put into them.

Not sure if resell is on your mind or not, but it should be. If not in your immediate future, possibly your son's some time down the road. You do not want to spend a lot of money on buying a tractor, put in a major amount of time and money, and then not be able to get your money back out of it. Restored, the most you can resell the flat fender 110's for, is usually $1000-$1200 tops. Restored round fender 110's can be sold for a little higher, usually between $1200-$1500, but they must be done right.

As for attachments, pricing depends on which type of attachment you want, and they overall condition of each attachment. A round fender rototiller could cost anywhere between $75-$150, whereas a flat fender rototiller can be bought between $100-$250. Not much difference between the tow models other than the mounting brackets for each type of tractor. Mower decks are still able to be found and will run you between $50-$250, again depending size and condition. Other attachments to thing about would be a front blade, snowthrower, or dump cart. Again, depending on condition and which type of tractor you decide on getting, these items could cost anywhere between $50-$200 for a round fender, and $150-$400 for a flat fender.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello
Geographical location has a lot to do with gaden tractor prices. Anything close to Cashville, I got the spelling right here as all item's seem to cost More in or around Nashville, Tennessee. It is Fast Paced, high volume and people in or around that are think that their stuff is worth much more. In buying an Older vintage garden Tractor the shape of it is what should be the deal breaker. If it is a Low hour machine with tight steering, Good brakes, Quiet bearings in the mowing deck and such you should expect to pay a Little more for it than One that has an engine smoking, it's Hood cracked, Seat cushion tore up, Tires beat down and dry rotted, Blade spindle bearings that have their bearings screaming from being wore out and the List goes on. Not all owner's of these vintage garden Tractor's took Good care of them so buyer beware. I buy and resell lawn & garden Tractor's as I enjoy working on them and I like to see people happy when they locate a Tractor of older vintage that they have been Looking for that will last them a long time Unlike the tin stamped out Junk they now offer at Home Depot or Lowes I would not Take one of those Tractor's if it was free they are far too troublesome the rear ends and hydro unit's go out of them left and right and the newer generation kohler engines have been exploding or cracking across the bottom of the engines due to Poor sand cast mold issues and the last thing I want is to sell someone a Tractor that Gernades after it leaves my shop. I am a passionate mechanic that has worked on these older vintage lawn & garden Tractor's for many, many year's so i am well versed in what last's and what does not last. I always buy the Tractor Not the story that people tell me about it, with there Hard sale approach if the Tractor has a proven reliability record then that is what I am Interested in.

To me, Older is better I have a 1983 John Deere 318 as they have stood the test of time and are great survivor's they have very little hydro pump issues almost never have any rear end issues and if their Onan engines are Taken care of well they will last for Year's and Year's. I got spoiled with the Power steering and Hydro Transmission of this Tractor so going back to a gear Tractor with manual steering, manual lift would not be a move for me.many People advertise these Older John Deere's whether they have the Kohler cast iron engine or the Techumpsh engine saying that they last forever. Well, That is not true as I have bought a few that Pitched their Piston connecting rod and when that happens it destroy's the crankshaft most times. As these older single cylinder engines get some time on them they get Excessive Piston connecting rod clearence. This start's to show by vibration and get's worse as time rolls on. The Oiling system of the single cylinder engines is a dipper Knife shaped portion on the bottom of the Piston connecting rod. This dipper pick's up oil from the oil pan or sump of an engine and sling's it onto the connecting rod Journal of the crank shaft. When the vibration of wear get's too much it snap's that Knife edge portion off of the Lower piston connecting rod then the engine starves for oil and the crankshaft journal spins's itself dry and BOOM The engine is done so neither engine will run forever they have a service life like anything else so the art of buying a used Tractor is that you know what to buy and what to pass up when the engine does not Perform or run smoothly. if I look at a Tractor that I can't hear run most time's I will pass it up as a short block assembly is very expensive and will often be much more costly than a Tractor is worth to Place one. Regards, Hammerdown

#12 ·
I am going to check out #1 Saturday. I didn't think it was original motor. But if it runs and drives nice I will be able to barter/trade with him. And not be out of pocket much cash.

Whatever tractor we get will be used for fun. It will not be a show machine and will likely see use weekly. I really like the round fender looks and the only thing missing would be some v tread tires.

Hammedown thanks for the info I live 60 miles west of Nashville . I am afraid this might turn into a new addiction so keep me posted with what you have to offer for sale as I will end up with a few in the basement before all this is said and done.

#13 ·
Whatever tractor we get will be used for fun. It will not be a show machine and will likely see use weekly. I really like the round fender looks and the only thing missing would be some v tread tires.

Hammedown thanks for the info I live 60 miles west of Nashville . I am afraid this might turn into a new addiction so keep me posted with what you have to offer for sale as I will end up with a few in the basement before all this is said and done.
Hello Plinker4Life

Pm sent check your In Box. Regards, Hammerdown

#14 ·
I landed a round fender in a trade deal yesterday I ended up getting a very fair deal. It was the one in listing #1. It was restored about 15 years ago and it runs great. Throttle and choke cable are disconnected and need repair but that is no big deal.

I will get some pic's up tonight.

#17 ·
Hello

That Tractor has the Eight Horsepower Kohler in it. They did not change the horse power of the 110 engines until around the change from round fender to flat fender 110's being around 1967 or a little later all of the early ones had the Eight Horse power Kohler's in them. They run very smooth and with the lower geared Transmission's that the early 110's had, they were very powerful. The variator's had some slight issues of freezing up and not wanting to work correctly. Just make sure you use the variator from time to time to keep it working right. They work much like a Torque convertor clutch on a snow mobile as you place the variator handle forward it places the drive belt to it deeper into the Variator pulley system hence more speed. I hope this help's, Hammerdown

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
The Kohler motor that is in the tractor now, is not original to the tractor, and is out of a flat fender 110. You'll need to find a K181 motor with a starter generator set up if you want it to be original. The sheet metal seems to be original, just not the block.

Not sure what type of carb or air cleaner is on the motor, but if they used the flat fender air cleaner set up, that won't be original to the tractor either. Other than these things and the muffler, you seem to have a pretty good 1966 110.

#19 ·
It is missing a lot to make it original and I don't plan on a factory correct restoration . It runs good and I have so ag tires to put on it and do a little paint work and it will serve for a great toy for the kids. Until I ordered the tires I was in it for less than the price of a power wheels electric piece of plastic. So I think it is a win all the way around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.