3 replies to this topic

#1 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,165 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 11:16 AM

My next project is to finish one that I had started about 4-years ago.
I had gotten this base for a barn off ebay.
It was just the foundation and it was missing two of the support columns for a big overhanging barn.
They said this was built by their Grandfather back in the 40's or 50's. Whoever built it did an excellent job on it.
I would have liked to have seen the whole layout, it had to have been awesome.

I didn't want a barn as big as this had so I made the barn width the same as the foundation and only made it overhang out the back.
This is as far as I had gotten with it back then.

You can see the holes in the base where the two missing columns were at the corners of the cleared area along side the foundation.

Posted Image

This side of the foundation had two nice windows in it and the remaining support column on this corner.
I used that column to determine how far the barn would overhang the foundation and turned down a matching column for the other corner of the barn.

Posted Image

Here's the front of the barn with a nice ramp leading up to it and the structure detail of the inside back wall.

Posted Image

A couple of photos of the unfinished side of the barn and the barn interior.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I wasn't a member of any forums back then so I wasn't taking photos of this during construction to share with all of you.
However, I did take this one photo of our "barn cat" checking to see if the floor was strong enough.

Posted Image

A view under the overhang showing the two doors in the foundation and the unfinished support column on the right corner.

Posted Image

I used spackeling putty to finish the support column to make it look like it is made out of concrete like the existing column.
Then I used round head straight pins for door knobs on the doors.

Posted Image

I finished the wood plank siding on the barn and also put door knobs on these two doors.

Posted Image

Two supports for the roof are cut from a 3/4 inch board and clamped to the inside of the barn ends.
Then the top two roof sections were cut from 1/8 inch plywood and glued to the supports.
They were also screwed down to hold them in place while the glue dries.
There is a gap left in the center between the two roof sections.
This is so I can force the center of the two roof sections down and together so it makes the center peak of the roof sag like a real old barn would.
The roof sections are held together in the center with the masking tape while the glue dries.

Posted Image

Here is a side view so you can see the sag in the barn roof.

Posted Image

The grain silo is going to be made out of a section of plastic drain pipe.
I turned it down on the lathe to form banding straps on the side.

Posted Image

It will have the older style wood roof cap instead of the newer rounded metal roof cap.
I glued a balsa wood base to the top of the silo and then glued a smaller plastic cap to the base.
Then I cut tapered strips of wood and started gluing them on to form the lower sides of the roof cap.

Posted Image

A square strip of wood is screwed to the side of the silo to form the base for building the access section up the side of the silo.
The lower part of the roof cap is finished around to where it is ready to connect to the access section.

Posted Image

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,446 Thanks
  • 17,086 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 11:29 AM

Once Again, those are some Awesome Building skills Ray...

#3 mikebramel OFFLINE  

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 05:20 PM

Ive always wanted to build things like that but dont have the patience.

The models usually end up halfway across the room when the glue doesnt set fast enough for my shaky hands

#4 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 6,332 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 06:08 PM

Great Job. Coming nicely. Ths silo is really creative.