• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 02:30 PM

Columbia is suspiciously acting like the brushes in the start/gen are done, at least I hope thats all it is, everything else checks out ok, only been a couple weeks since I used it to cultivate the garden, cant complain.. dont think Ive had to work on it for about two years now.. just telling me its time for maintainance I guess.

Ne1 know of a set off hand that are similar or slightly larger and easily adapted to fit? I have a local Autovalue but the tractor parts place is in the city and I avoid that place like a plague. Motor is a '74 cast B+S 16hp.

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 02:40 PM

Have you checked the battery?  That would be the first thing I would check.

#3 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 02:52 PM

Take the spark plug out and it'll crank over faster.  :smilewink:   :poke:    :wave:

#4 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 02:57 PM

Ya Ive checked it all out, pretty much know its just the brushes are worn to the point there isnt enough pressure on the armature for a good contact, I went over this tractor top to bottom a couple years back and saw then that it would eventually need new ones, and its gotten alot of hrs since then. Its usually pretty simple to find a larger set from an automotive application and file them down to fit, Im not exactly a rookie at this sort of thing...;)

I would kinda like to know how taking out the spark plug is gonna help me start it tho... :poke:

• Gtractor, superaben and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 04:10 PM

Isn't that a standard Delco gen?  Parts all over for those, not make specific. Using Gen number off the tag might be helpful.  Fella on epay calls his place Trio-diode or close has odd ball kits all the time for 6 and 12 volt gens and such, with tag number he should have them. He has a store on there.  I got many olde MM parts when fixing those, when no one else knew what I wanted.

#6 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 04:17 PM

Ya its just a basic delco, thats why I thought somebody might already have a # handy for a set from an automotive supplier, you know how the counter folk insist on make and model of your car, then look at ya stupid when you tell them its for a garden tractor. Lol
  • superaben and Sawdust have said thanks

#7 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 10:02 PM

Its probably a very stupid question. Does that engine have a decompression bump on the cam lobe for the  exhaust valve?

My 15.5 B&S had the slow crank drag starter issue, until I adjusted the valves.

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 10:25 PM

Lance, here locally the auto parts stores don't even know what a brush is.  They want to sell you a parts cleaner brush.  And that isn't exactly the same.

They'll even beg you to buy a complete starter. 

I deal with the local auto electrical shop.  They rebuild my last starter genny for $90.  New bearings, new brushes, new field coils, and a terminal kit.  The sold me brushes for $10 for a set. 

I don't know if you can order straight from these guys, but they will have what you need, too: http://www.stmarysca...m/applications/ I thought I had ordered from them before, but maybe I didn't. 

Ben W.

• Alc said thank you

#9 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 01:22 AM

The old dude at the local Autovalue will be able to find something Im sure, its a small farm community so nothing like walking into a napa or similar in the city. This guy even works on farm tractors occasionally. I once fixed a VW bug generator with brushes from an old black and decker drill, this shouldnt be too much trouble, I just dont happen to have an old power tool I dont need right now;)
  • Sawdust said thank you

#10 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 04:23 AM

Its probably a very stupid question. Does that engine have a decompression bump on the cam lobe for the  exhaust valve?

My 15.5 B&S had the slow crank drag starter issue, until I adjusted the valves.

I dont believe it does, never heard anyone else mention it in the past anyway, I know most of my Kohlers have an ACR system that releases compression up to about 600 rpm but they have a tiny little starter, the gen on this thing is as big as an old grain truck.

#11 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 08:26 AM

The old dude at the local Autovalue will be able to find something Im sure, its a small farm community so nothing like walking into a napa or similar in the city. This guy even works on farm tractors occasionally. I once fixed a VW bug generator with brushes from an old black and decker drill, this shouldnt be too much trouble, I just dont happen to have an old power tool I dont need right now;)

That's funny reminds me about an old Thor brand electric impact drill I had that needed brushes. I used the graphite pieces out of an old battery. It worked like new.

#12 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 04:38 PM

I do think the 320 series Briggs uses the "bump" on the intake cam lobe...not like Kohler, which has a mechanical release that opens the exhaust valve.  If the intake valve lash is too wide, the compression will be lots higher.

#13 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 11:02 PM

I finally got around to taking the gen off before work today, other than filthy it doesnt look too bad inside, bearing are good, wiring looks good, brushes are getting short but still have spring pressure against them, armature is dirty but not grooved, might get away with just a good cleaning.
  • Sawdust said thank you