18 replies to this topic

#16 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 08:04 PM

After Mom passed back in 2004, Dad got serious about sorting his stuff out.  He put together a list of all the sentimental stuff in the house (boy was there a lot) and then when we all got together, we had a list of the items and had a choosing match.  What we chose went into the will with our names on it.  Dad even added an addendum that said, anything else in the house was subject to the same conditions, it was to be put in a choosing match and we all took turns, which is what it came down to.  Even with that, there were some hurt feelings and some people tried to run over others.  As executor, I had to put a stop to some of it.

And selling the house was HARD.  They bought the house to retire in, then Mom only lived about 5 years after retirement, and Dad only lived about 12.  But I've been taking care of the house for them for over 20 years, couldn't believe how many memories it held.  I'll tell you, some days when I went down to pack up and clean up, I just wandered around with tears in my eyes.  

It may be that some people "show their true colors" when a family member passes.  But grief will also cause people to do funny things.   

• MH81, boyscout862, TAHOE and 2 others have said thanks

#17 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 08:24 PM

Glad I'm an only child.  I don't have to worry about all that BS.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#18 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 07:53 AM

Treat yourself to a new one and the next time someone asks to borrow a chainsaw give them the old one , tell them it ran last time you used it.

Well, my dad always told me, NEVER lend out your truck or your chainsaw so there won't be a next time.

I let my nephew have it just because I knew in the back of my mind they had actually bought it for my dad.

I talked to my mom last night, she had told my nephew a while back he could have the saw. They bought my dad a little toy one and gave that to him first as a joke, my mom gave that back to my nephew. That's when my nephew asked her about having the real one back. I knew nothing of this until yesterday. As I said, it's just a saw, I can get another, but just felt blind sided by mom, but I will get over it.

She said she will go buy me a new one, told her I won't accept it. 

I told her I will cut 3 truck loads with a hand saw if I have to ( NOT!) ...had to give her a little bit of a hard time :D

The 028 would be worth it. When it's done, and you start using it, tell everyone you bought it from me... Ill back you up & Then there's no Question :D

No one knows I even have the 028, been in my barn for probably 10 yrs. I would love to get it running, that thing cut a bunch of wood in it's life. Bad thing about it, you better eat your wheaties in the morning, that ole heavy vibration machine will work ya!

I have a small 10" Stihl too under the bench, never could get it running either. I need to break down and find a good mechanic in the area nd see if he can get them running.

Now that I think of it, I actually have 4 saws, the Stihl 028, small Stihl, the Homelite, and the Poulan which is only one that runs.

And selling the house was HARD.  They bought the house to retire in, then Mom only lived about 5 years after retirement, and Dad only lived about 12.  But I've been taking care of the house for them for over 20 years, couldn't believe how many memories it held.

One thing nice about me buying mom's house and having a mortgage on it, no one will be fighting over it, I will own that out right. Only stuff left will be mom's personables and some furnature, she is doing a lot of giving away and purging as we remodel and get ready to move in. My oldest siser and I are executors, hopefully there won't be a lot of junk down the road after mom passes which coule be 10-15 yrs from now.

My middle trouble sister was upset cause mom gave away her china closet and buffet to my niece...again, she feels it was hers to have. :deadhorse:  

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#19 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 12:59 PM

only lived about 5 years after retirement, and Dad only lived about 12.  But I've been taking care of the house for them for over 20 years, couldn't believe how many memories it held.  I'll tell you, some days when I went down to pack up and clean up, I just wandered around with tears in my eyes. 

I felt the same way when we sold my grandparents house.  That was the only static home in my life for 24 years.  All the holiday's and visits, ect.  Now I live less than 2 miles from there.  The last family that had it, the ones we originally sold it to took great care of it.  The people who own it now don't.  I wanted to buy it when it came back up for sale, but the asking price put that out of the cards. 

I remember taking one last walk through the house the last day we owned it.  I went from room to room, down into the basement, garage, walked the yard, ect.  I think I cried the whole time.