#1 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 08:00 AM

GGGRRRR!!! I love my 80 yr old mother, but I am so mad right at her right now.

Of course after my father died, all his stuff, tools, tractors, etc became my mom's unless he specifically gave it to someone, thankfully I got ahold of all the barn contents. Well since dad's death, my middle, pain in the butt sister has pulled this "I bought it for dad for a present, I want it back"  even if she has no need for it, mom gives it back.

Well, my other sister and nephews bought my dad a Stihl 250 chainsaw a few years back and my nephew asked to borrow it a few months back. No problem, I just told him I will need it back in a couple months to clear fence lines and down trees in the field. Well we had a fallen out in April, haven't talked to him and I just found out this morning that because he was one that help buy it, my mom GAVE it back to him :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :mad2:  :mad2:  :mad2:  :mad2:  :mad2:  :mad2:

I have dad's old Poulan that does run, but this just burns me up especially after I told her I will be needing it to clean up her place before we move in.

I'm still trying to figure out this premise my family has that since I bought it and gave it away as a gift, I deserve it back.

• daytime dave, hamman, tinbender7 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 08:27 AM

A lot if people are that way after a passing. A good friend went through this after his grand father past his aunt wanted everything that they had every got his gpa plus half of the estate. So they got their way cause grandma wasnt in the best health an her memory was failing her. Folks true colors really show after someone passes .

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

Edited by backwoods, June 05, 2014 - 08:29 AM.

• daytime dave, lyall, trowel and 5 others have said thanks

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 08:37 AM

Folks true colors really show after someone passes .

You got that right!  Seen it so many times.  Snakes don't crawl lower!

• daytime dave, trowel, tinbender7 and 3 others have said thanks

#4 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 09:08 AM

Been there done that. I had to buy my dads Homelite after he passed, form my step mother. Saw my wife go thru this when her dad and mom passed. Hang in there it should get  better.                  Roger.                  

• daytime dave, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#5 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 10:01 AM

A lot if people are that way after a passing.

A good friend of mine took care of his mom awhile his sister and brother did nothing to help. They ended up in a law suit after she passed.

Settle down and pick up a nice saw and lock it up.

I like buying chain saws. makes me feel all manly
  • daytime dave, hamman, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#6 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 10:03 AM

I traded a motor to get my newest got a little stihl an still have my poulan wild thing

• daytime dave said thank you

#7 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 11:00 AM

That happens so often in families.  It would be nice to hear about good situations.  I wonder if they exist?

I agree, just get what you want and proceed on.  It might be time to have a frank conversation with mom too.  Seems like you are the man of the family now.

Good luck and I hope nothing more trickles out.

• hamman, boyscout862 and TAHOE have said thanks

#8 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 11:33 AM

Thanks guys.

I would admit, I had a little of the "it's mine or I want it", but most of that was just for the tools I know I would use. It's all just stuff anymore, I have no time for the bickering or whatever, life has too many other stresses. Dad gave me the sentinmental value stuff years ago, basically his wedding ring and a gold ring that was specially made for him for his 25 yr at work, only one in exisistance.

My middle sister has taken it to the point that she wants to dig out all the flowers/plants she gave to dad...really? She doesn't

even own a house to live in, renting a duplex and maybe staying at my cousin's house while he is outta town on a job for 6 months. Crazy.

She will be in a little shock I think when my name goes on the deed and I wil be the only one digging stuff out.  

It's mainly the principle of the saw for me after I told mom I needed it back, then she gave it to him.

I even told her she needs to start making a list of stuff she wants people to have to we can have it notorized and put as an admentment to the will, I know my one sister thinks she is getting the 1906 Victrola, mom need to have it in writing.

It just hit me, my neighbor gave me a homelite chain saw, 20" bar I think, squirrelled away in the back of the shed. He never got it running and wanted it gone. :thumbs:

I also have dad's old 028 20" Stihl, but I think it needs a rebuild, hasn't ran in many, many moons.

• hamman said thank you

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 11:40 AM

I have been begging my parents to tag stuff for years. Who gets what.
They would for a while, then it would just get put on the back burner.
Now that Dad has passed, Mom and I have to go thru everything ourselves.

Do your kid(s) a favor and sort this stuff out now, they will thank you
  • TAHOE said thank you

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 11:45 AM

My experience is that moms don't listen. If you are the strong one, you are supposed to provide for the others(in their eyes). My mom left me nothing but that was always the choice she made. When I was young she was always covering for my youngest brother who stole my toys. When I left for the Army she gave him or threw away all my stuff(100s of comics from the 50s and early 60s in very good condition). I refused to let him cheat me( on our fathers' inheritance) so she wanted me to apologize. She left him everything. That is the way it goes.

IT could be worse. My wifes mother and siblings left us with debts and a deterriorated house. My wife won't sell the house and is wasting money on it as it drops in value.

It tell my son to be glad that he is an only child. Good Luck, Rick

• TAHOE and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 11:45 AM

The 028 would be worth it. When it's done, and you start using it, tell everyone you bought it from me... Ill back you up & Then there's no Question :D
  • TAHOE said thank you

#12 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 03:57 PM

Unfortunately that seems to be the way of people.  when there is money on the line they usually turn despicable.  And family is the worst,  Keep you chin up it will get better.  I got a brand new ECHO

• TAHOE said thank you

#13 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 05:02 PM

Maybe you need to put a lock on that barn.

In my family it's always been that we auction the stuff off. If we want something we have to buy it. We all kind of know who want's what and we don't run the price up on the others. My brother and I don't fight over stuff. Life's too short.

• TAHOE said thank you

#14 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 07:06 PM

I have a ms 180 nice little saw

#15 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,807 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 07:50 PM

Treat yourself to a new one and the next time someone asks to borrow a chainsaw give them the old one , tell them it ran last time you used it.
Had the same problem with my family. It ruined all of our relationships. I refused to participate in the petty games. I allow my children to visit on holidays but we don't talk. I guess their objects are more important. I got the memories! Tom
  • MH81, boyscout862 and TAHOE have said thanks