• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Indygbd1 OFFLINE  

Indygbd1
  • Member No: 58420
  • 42 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 10:21 PM

Does anyone have some Simplicity Model J walk behind attachments? I am looking for some. I only have the tiller.
  • Talntedmrgreen said thank you

#2 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 01:48 PM

I have NEVER seen a model J...and not for a lack of trying. Could you post some pictures!?

#3 Indygbd1 OFFLINE  

Indygbd1
  • 42 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 10:18 AM

Here are some photos that I have on my cell phone.  I can take more later.  What can you tell me about it?  Do you have any idea of the value?  I know they are rare.  I had never seen one until I picked this up.  Neat little guy!!!  I also bought a Model A or a culti-cutter at some call it from the same guy.  Great place to go.

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.png
  • model J.png
  • Model J top.png
  • Model J tiller.png

• DougT, Alc and trowel have said thanks

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 12:36 PM

The model J is just like my David Bradley Handimans and made around the same time from very late 50's to mid 60's, both tractors only had a few years run before being discontinued and replaced so very little is know, i like to call these type of tractors test models for the fast growing suburbia markets, the model J was mainly marketed for suburbia homes (very small acreage) and women, there was a few attachments such as, snow thrower, 18 '' reel mower, cultivator and tiller which you got.

I think all the model J's had Briggs engines.

You got one of Simplicity's hardest to find walk behind, she is a little gem.

Edited by trowel, June 07, 2014 - 12:37 PM.

• Alc and IamSherwood have said thanks

#5 Indygbd1 OFFLINE  

Indygbd1
  • 42 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 01:39 PM

Thanks, Do you know anything about Simplicity Model A one wheel tractors? Here are 2 that I have.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by Indygbd1, June 07, 2014 - 07:57 PM.

• Alc and trowel have said thanks

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 07:12 PM

Only what i have read and heard, don't see very many of those here.

I do know it was Simplicity's version of the one row field cultivator or ''power hoe'' as the early one wheel tractors were usually called to fill the cultivation gap for large scale truck gardening (market gardening) for narrower spaced crops (more $$ per garden) such as veggies and herbs.

Unlike your model J this tractor was built only for cultivating and nothing else, i am to this day unaware of any other attachments other then different types of vator shovels, spring tine vators, weed knives and several types of furrower which were all made by Planet Jr.

I have hear of a hitch adapter for the # 4 or # 300A Planet Jr. seeder drill but someone correct me on that if im wrong.

I hope you plan on preserving them.

Edited by trowel, June 07, 2014 - 07:17 PM.

• Alc, Talntedmrgreen and Indygbd1 have said thanks

#7 Indygbd1 OFFLINE  

Indygbd1
  • 42 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 07:19 PM

Thanks for the information.

#8 Indygbd1 OFFLINE  

Indygbd1
  • 42 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 04:47 PM

I do plan on restoring them. I may sell one. I really do not need 2.

#9 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 08:03 PM

Wow...I gotta say, it looks like you have quite the Simplicity Walker collection!  Yours is the only Model J I have ever seen...and it's a Wards to boot!  I haven't even seen literature on the Wards variant.  That tiller has to be even rarer than the tractor.  I'm pretty sure they were a single year production, '52/'53.  I did not realize they were chain drive.  I'm fairly certain it's the only model that doesn't use the Simplicity Quick Hitch. 

The model A's are almost equally as rare.  I believe the Simplicity branded machines were built '39-'42.  They first built the Wards beginning in '37, as it was Simplicity Manufacturing's first tractor build.  They were Lauson powered.  I believe they ceased production of both when they converted to war production for government contracts, and 2 wheelers were their thing post-war when the boomers parents started that big suburban shift.

I would really love to see those in person.  Amazing machines you have there!

I have a Wards Culti-Mower, but my cultivators are incomplete.  I have the 3/4hp Lauson RLC 406 restored, and found a fantastic 4-12 Wards Riverside Power Grip tire, and hope to some day get around to restoring the tractor and putting it all together. 

Simplicity Model A, and Wards Culti-Mower were also offered with reel and sickle mowers, and should also accept the later attahments (though they may be a bit light on power).  Do your both have the original Briggs A engines?  Those are a pricey Brigss, too.

#10 Indygbd1 OFFLINE  

Indygbd1
  • 42 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 09:30 PM

I do have 2 Briggs model A engines , a Briggs FI engine, And a few other older Briggs engines I will be selling soon. The 1939 Simplicity A came with a Lauson engine. The other A I have has the original Briggs model U engine with the 2 1/2 quart fuel tank off the front.