17 replies to this topic

#16 Hammerdown OFFLINE  

Hammerdown
  • Member No: 46960
  • 127 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 12:42 PM

Hello There

Oxy-Acetaline Gas weldling a Muffler is fine whether it be braze or Mild Steel filler rod, it is very Important to clean the area well that is to be welded. braze or mild steel filler rod does not like to stick to Rust, corrosion or grease. If you are using a Mild steel filler rod to save a few buck's on the cost of material's an old metal coat hanger work's really well. I have used them for year's and they work as well as boughten mild steel filler rods. When gas welding temperature is crucial so get your torch to a neutral flame and have the Two Pieces of steel to be welded close together. You can use a meall clamp or vice grip's to hold them together that works well. When the metal being welded heat's up enough, it will begin to Pool itself this is when you add the metal filler rod or if it is a Thicker metal you can fusion weld the two Pieces together. Keep moving with the gas torch and filler rod as you see a semi half circle of weld Puddle up. If it is Thin metal I would suggest that you start the welding process from the end of the metal so as to Not Burn a hole through it as if you were welding it going  outward toward's the end of the Piece of Metal. If done Properly gas welding can leave behind a nice attractive welding bead that is as strong as the Two Pieces of metal being just one. I hope This helps, Hammerdown

Edited by Hammerdown, June 21, 2014 - 12:43 PM.

• hypersthenos said thank you

#17 hypersthenos OFFLINE  

hypersthenos
  • Member No: 58417
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 11:50 PM

Well after sandblasting and removing one end cap from the muffler looks like this item is no longer salvageable.  As much as I would like to maintain original parts has anyone replaced the stock muffler with something readily available and new (some sort of universal muffler and some plumbing) that will fit the stock location and exit in the original opening in the grill upright?  Perhaps somewhat quieter?  Any input is appreciated.  Thanks.

#18 hypersthenos OFFLINE  

hypersthenos
  • Member No: 58417
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted August 07, 2014 - 06:41 PM

Hey All.  Sorry for taking so long to update.  Several pics to come of the project.  Down to the bare frame.  75% of parts stripped/primed/painted.  Engine now has .020 overbore and new crank bearings.  I have a question:  The rearmost fender pan mounts on the frame appear to be stamped sheet metal with a molded conical rubber insert one of which is missing and the other not serviceable.  Any ideas on a replacement or modification?  Are these pressed onto the ears of the frame?  Haven't given much effort to removing them from the frame yet until I get more info.  Thanks in advance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 112, tecumseh