• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 hypersthenos OFFLINE  

hypersthenos
  • Member No: 58417
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 09:32 PM

Hey All.  I just purchased a 1968 John Deere 112 with the 10HP Tecumseh engine and manual lift.  ID tag below steering column reads as follows: Type T0650  Serial#115083M.  Engine tag reads as follows: Model#HH100-115093B  Serial#888 08563.  Purchased with the model E0670 46" mower deck and model #36 snow blower.  Seems complete but for the starter motor and battery.  PO had a pulley attached to the end of the crank and claimed it would pull start when last parked. 

My intentions for this tractor:  Total restoration from stem to stern though this will be a "resto-mod" as I intend to convert is to propane so that my wife can operate it (severe respiratory reaction to petroleum/carbon monoxide fumes).  We intend to use this tractor on our 10 acres.  Any modifications from the original design will be made with reliability/longevity in mind.  I realize that these tractors are collectible but it will not sit much is the shop.  We plan on using it as originally intended.

I understand that the Tecumseh engine for this year/model may have parts available but that the ignition system on this particular model is failure prone (decal reads SOLID STATE).  I read somewhere that a points style ignition conversion is possible to address the reliability issue.  I have the advantage of an extensive series of factory service manuals for Tecumseh small engines of this era that I bought from a professional small engine mechanic. 

All this being said I have a couple of questions:  Should I make the effort to work with the Tecumseh engine (PO stated that it had a knock when last ran) or replace it with a Kohler?  If replacement is advisable I wish to make as few modifications as possible so do the 112s with the alternate Kohler engine have parts I can purchase to make this a bolt-in swap?   

Any advice is much appreciated.  Thanks is advance!

• WNYTractorTinkerer and A.C.T. have said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 10:19 PM

If the old Tecumseh runs, keep it going.  I might get shot for saying this, but the big cast iron Tecumseh have just as good reliability as anything.

That solid state unit will last for years as long as you don't crank the engine with the spark plug boot unplugged.  That will burn it up so fast you won't know what hit you.

There is no breaker point/magneto style ignition conversion available that I am aware.  There is a guy making replacement modules, though, and from what I hear they are worth looking into IF and only if the old solid state decides to go on a permanent vacation.

I have a rebuild kit available that I'm sure would correct the knock.  :wave: Contact me if you are interested.  It is $119 and contains all the internal parts you will need.  Almost everything for these engines is still available new, and if not new, new old stock.

Ben W.

#3 hypersthenos OFFLINE  

hypersthenos
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 10:38 PM

That's what I was hoping to hear!  Thank you.  I'll be contacting you about one of these kits after the teardown.  Much relieved to know that this is still a viable engine. 

#4 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 12:43 AM

Here is an option:

http://www.overnight...les/Page682.htm

#5 hypersthenos OFFLINE  

hypersthenos
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 07:01 PM

Another promising solution.  I'll assess the function of the original ignition and go from there.  Thanks!

• Trav1s said thank you

#6 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,442 Thanks
  • 3,990 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 11:17 PM

welcome to GTT and      :wewantpics:

#7 Hammerdown OFFLINE  

Hammerdown
  • Member No: 46960
  • 127 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 06:32 AM

That's what I was hoping to hear!  Thank you.  I'll be contacting you about one of these kits after the teardown.  Much relieved to know that this is still a viable engine. 

Hello hypersthenos

I once owned a John Deere 112 it was made in 1966 time span. It Featured The Tecumseh 12 Horse power gas engine that said Long life Timken  crank shaft bearings. It also had the Optional Hydraulic lift which is hard to find for these lawn Tractors but I do know a guy that has one I sold him that he is not using if that Interest's you simply PM me for his contact information. They are very easy to install they mount on the top of the engine head studs and are all self contained and a Hydraulic Lift is super nice if you are lifting a dirt dozer blade, snow blower or even just the mowing deck, They sure beat the hand lift system on these older 112's. I had my 112 for about Two year's I bought it not running. The guy that had it bought it in an equipment auction not running. I gave just $100.00 for it and it was in Nice original shape it came with it's original mowing deck,a  dirt dozer blade and a snow blower. The day I came to pick it up I brought with me a set of Jumper cables, Can of either and some fresh gas. The owner of it said "I thought you knew that this Tractor was a Non running machine". I said i did hear that, but I was going to roll the dice and see if it would start. I Placed the fresh gas , Hooked up my jumper cables, gave it a shot of either turned the key and it started up. At first it smoked a little due to sitting but within Five minutes it cleared up and ran perfect. I liked the Tractor and at that time had two John Deere's my other one was a 1969  model 120 that was a hydrostatic machine. One day while mowing with the 112 a Guy passing by the house Pulled into my driveway. We Lived in the country so I thought he may have been lost or looking for someone so I drove the 112 up to his truck and trailer and asked if I could help him? he said that he had been by my placve a few times and had seen me using the vintage 112. he then asked if it was for sale ? I told him that I had a snow blower and dirt dozer blade that went with it and showed him the equipment. He then said "I will cut to the chase here i want to buy this Tractor". I said that I had not thought about selling it as it had been trouble free but then asked him what he would give for it ? He said $1000.00 with the equipment. I asked if that was cash and he pulled the cash out of his Pocket. I said Sold. He was happy as he collected older John Deere's but he lacked a model 112 and I was very happy to get that price for it. I helped him load it and the equipment and jumped on my 1969 John Deere 120 to finish mowing our Yard. Regards, Hammerdown

• sacsr said thank you

#8 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 07:12 AM

First off-  Welcome aboard!  

You have some ambitions to work on that thing for sure..  The boys have offered you help and I really know nothing about LP gas powered anything except a grill so you are left to their wisdom..  What I do know is that a 112 is a fine, rugged machine.  Lots of folks around would be happy to own one but I feel 10 acres is a bit much for the machine's limitations unless you are towing a gang mower behind it..  (unless you are only mowing 3 or 4 of them)

Just my thoughts for no pennies..

Good Luck!!

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, June 06, 2014 - 07:12 AM.

#9 Hammerdown OFFLINE  

Hammerdown
  • Member No: 46960
  • 127 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 07:34 AM

Hello

Sitting here thinking about it, I feel to convert a garden Tractor to utilizing a LP system would be very costly and I am not sure if anyone out there makes an LP conversion kit for the small gas engines that you Tractor has. One option you could do to keep the exhaust away from your wife is to extend the exhaust system down and back out the rear of the Tractor. It would take a person with a Muffler bender to bend the required exhaust pipe but it would be far More economical & Much easier to do than a LP conversion. One draw back to running LP is supply and demand if you commit to using LP it can be hard to find a place that would fill The LP tank and you would have to use a larger style LP tank which will have to be mounted on the rear of the Tractor some where. This all sound's like a lot of work and effort to me if the exhaust out the back issue would work as well I would go that route. Another thing that would work is to Buy a commercial 3-M autobody face mask for your wife. They would filter out any exhaust gas fumes and are not real expensive. I hope these suggestions work out for you it is justa  though here in trying to help you cut cost & labor on your 112 Project. Regards, Hammerdown

#10 hypersthenos OFFLINE  

hypersthenos
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 10:39 AM

Thanks to each of you for your input.  My primary purpose for purchasing this machine is to have a restoration project to tinker with.  Tractor Tinkere I  may have been misleading as though the 112 will be used on our 10 acres I do have a small diesel tractor with a 3pt brush mower for most of the acreage.  The 112 will be for mowing some of the smaller portions-maybe 3 acres max plus the snow blower for a 200' long gravel driveway and towing around a trailer for my wife's garden materials.  I get you Hammerdown on the challenge of mounting an LP tank but my wife found a very unique 10# unit that appears to be workable under the hood.  That being said I have no intention of making alterations to the structure of this tractor so I will proceed cautiously.  I have found a company that makes an on demand unit for LP gas that will work with any 4 stoke engine of 15HP or less that retains the stock carburetor.  I'll keep all of you posted on progress.  I'll get some pics of how it looks as I've done nothing to it other than park it in the shop since buying it.  I'm considering that hydraulic lift you mentioned as well.  I wondered how much effort lifting that snow blower might be.  Thanks again for all the sage advice.  Pics coming.    

#11 hypersthenos OFFLINE  

hypersthenos
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 07:55 PM

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 007.JPG 005.JPG

Hey All.  Pics as requested.  Going out to mow.  I'll check in later.

#12 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 08:23 PM

Looks like a decent machine.  A couple things catch my attention while looking at the pics:

- The JD decal on the hood are for a custom color/patio tractor - Could this be a CC machine?

- Steering wheel looks to have been replaced
- Nice worker machine

- The attachments look to be in good condition

Thanks for the pics!

#13 hypersthenos OFFLINE  

hypersthenos
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 11:55 PM

Interesting observation about the decals.  Not sure.  With those decals could this be a patio tractor painted green by the dealer when new?  I read somewhere on here about that.  I might keep it green anyway as I understand that the custom colored seats are expensive if they can be sourced.  The engine appears to be original as it is painted green including the block.  The fenders and hood have definitely had a poor second paint job in the same green color.  Surprisingly there are no tears in the seat.  I'm guessing it's a replacement as the seat spring have been welded and the seat is bolted in place so the adjuster no longer functions.  The snow blower appears to have had the chute welded so I have some things to sort out there.  The hood needs work and I'm thinking about replacing it as I'm not sure I want to deal with fiberglass repairs.  Whad'ya think about that custom pulley/pull start mod?  As I understand these Tecumseh's don't require a battery to run and since the starter is missing I may add a little fresh fuel and see if it runs.  I won't put a lot of effort into getting it running as I plan to tear it down anyway.   

#14 hypersthenos OFFLINE  

hypersthenos
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 08:13 PM

Update:  Engine is completely disassembled.  Great news is that it has been rebuilt in the recent past with a 10 over piston/ring assembly and the ring gap is at 0.013!  All other clearances are within tolerance except the crank bearing end play.  Having a factory service manual has been a blessing as I know how to correct the end play and the bearings look to be in fine shape.  Valve springs are a little soft and about 1/8 inch shorter than spec.  In summary a couple of valve springs, a shim for the crank bearing and a gasket set and the engine will be ready for assembly.  BTW propanecarburetors.com has a LP gas conversion for this very motor.  I think it's around $200.  Pics coming soon.  Questions about painting the fender pan coming soon.

• hdg4400 said thank you

#15 hypersthenos OFFLINE  

hypersthenos
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 10:13 AM

Hey All.  Here's some updated pics.  Engine parts on the way.  Internals look great and the piston ring gap is well within tolerances.  A previous owner did a nice job on a rebuild including a .010 over piston/ring set.  Only shortcoming was that the crank end play was not adjusted.  I have the proper spacer on the way to fix that and all should be good.  Lots of smaller parts stripped and in primer.  I have used a small blast cabinet and an electrolysis tank made by following an article on this site to remove paint/corrosion.  I will be stripping the fender pan soon and am considering a tarp and chemical stripper for that.  Also researching fiberglass repair and will attack the hood in the near future.  Muffler is in need for repair as the baffle inside is loose.  I am considering carefully cutting it apart and making a new one as I have some moderate skill with an acetylene welder.  Any advice/comments are welcome.  Have a great weekend. 

007 (2).JPG

004 (2).JPG

010.JPG

002 (2).JPG

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 112, tecumseh