5 replies to this topic

#1 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 08:28 PM

While buying a blade for my Ford tractor, I picked up a Cub basket case from one of the members on here. He is not a cub guy, and didn't have any info on the tractor. It came to him as part of a lot of stuff, so he didn't know anything about it's history.The little bit of research I have done has me scratching my head....So I come to you experts out there on all things Cub.....

Pictures to follow tomorrow - didn't get a chance to take any today...

I believe this is a Cub Original - It has the slot in the engine mounting platform for a belt going down to the mechanical clutch, and a belt still stuck on the clutch. Clutch is not in-line with the engine as on later cubs. Also from pictures, metal "pan" seat, the platform, footrests, clutch knob location, etc seem to look like an Original. But according to another (ahem) expert website on cubs, the serial number (6896x) is out of the range for Originals, which ended at 64xxx - They (ihcubcadet.com) say the number should be for a 70 or 100 - but don't they have the different frame and no belt? And doesn't look like the pictures I saw of 70's...

Second, it had a Wisconsin engine mounted on it - complete with magneto assembly! Didn't all cubs of this age come with Kohler engines? - Guessing the engine was a later addition?

So what exactly do I have?!?!?

So, if this is an Original, are they good worker tractors? Guessing the frame is not as strong as the later channel frame models, but is it good for normal use? And is that the same rear differential as used in later models?

Thanks in advance for any info...

#2 cjrolke OFFLINE  

cjrolke

• Member No: 5861
  • 94 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 10:08 PM

Sounds like a cub o but till i see pics i cant say for sure.. Originals are their own little animal not much interchanges from later models. Yes they should be kohler k161 7 hp

Sent from my SGH-T759 using Tapatalk 2

#3 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 04:13 AM

Final Cub O was  65457 according to tractordata.com, I picked up a 28xxx recently so Ive been looking into them lately, its just a rolling chassis with a newer 8hp but I'll add a couple pics, since its stripped you might be able to see something to help, or if you want a specific pic let me know, congrats on whatever it is ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• 2014-05-16 15.11.52.jpg
  • 2014-05-16 15.17.02.jpg

#4 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 01:04 PM

Ok, it was late, and the frame was dirty, and..... :( . After cleaning the grime off the frame and reading the numbers RIGHT SIDE UP!!!!!!, the serial number comes in at 39689 - Within the "original" range and produced in 1962. Still no clue as to the engine, but that I can account for. As advertised, here are the pictures...

20140605_122543.jpg 20140605_122552.jpg 20140605_122626.jpg 20140605_122603.jpg 20140605_122608.jpg

It's in rough shape, but I have resurrected worse! 4 new tires, obviously, and I need to get a hood, but otherwise is all there. Surface rust but nothing structural that I can find. Gearbox is free and most of the bearing look to be ok... It's gonna have to wait a while before I can start on it, but I'll start spraying it with penetrating oil and give it time to soak. Not sure about the engine - it's frozen at the moment.

I think I have a spare k181 around somewhere, would that fit without modification? I also have a nice 14 hp kohler k321 that is homeless. Anyone ever tried putting a bigger single cylinder engine in these? I saw a couple posts where people went to a twin engine, but that needed adjusting/cutting for clearance..... I understand that I can adjust for crank height with a longer/shorter belt - which will be a nice change!

I'm excited about another project. The wife just walked away shaking her head... BUT, she didn't say it had to leave, so that's good!

#5 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 01:47 PM

Check the frame where it bolts to the  front of the gear box, they have a tendancy crack at the bends and I think it looks like its begun to pull away at the bottom. Minor fix but should be done early if its needed. You got a few more pieces than I do so it will interesting to watch it go together, Im thinking about using a twin B+S Vanguard on mine but it would need to be converted to run with the shaft horizontal, or I have a few K series around aswell, Im not building a puller but those guys have alot of good info about repowers.. The little chrome K is not staying with the O.

Lots of reading material from here... http://gardentractor....com/engine.htm

#6 cubx4 OFFLINE  

cubx4
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 58987
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 07:00 PM

That looks like a keeper. Drop a 181 in her and she begs for mercy. DO NOT however, let her go to scrap. Tires look somewhat original, along with whats left. definately a keeper.