• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 05:17 AM

They make some pretty cool tractors these days... I had to go track down a couple wandering mutts before work yesterday, found them out in a neighboring field near where a guy I know was seeding, stopped to chat and he offered to let me check out the tractor for a lap around the 1/4......... WOW.... Case IH Quad trac with a 60 foot airseeder in tow and GPS Auto Pilot, nothin on the farm like that when I was kid I'll tell ya, seat is a small couch, rides like a caddy, each of those tracks are almost as big as a smart car

YaYa I know.. no pics it didnt happen... but I was having WAY too much FUN to think about you guys...lolol

• olcowhand, MH81, IamSherwood and 7 others have said thanks

#2 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 05:30 AM

That must have been a treat. I've seen them on commercials, and wondered what

it be like to take one for a spin. Lucky guy.

I think you can probably do an upgrade with GPS and auto pilot for one of your

Fords, for maybe around 10K.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 05:57 AM

JD has had that type of system available on it's big tractors for a while now. It's all about productivity. If you can cut out any overlap and at the same time get full coverage you save time and fuel, seed, spray or whatever. Given the price of a rig like that Case it's probably money well spent to get it.

Fuel efficiency is a big driver in large tractor design these days. I think MF has gone to a CVT type transmission to help with that.

• IamSherwood said thank you

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 06:10 AM

JD has had that type of system available on it's big tractors for a while now. It's all about productivity. If you can cut out any overlap and at the same time get full coverage you save time and fuel, seed, spray or whatever. Given the price of a rig like that Case it's probably money well spent to get it.

Fuel efficiency is a big driver in large tractor design these days. I think MF has gone to a CVT type transmission to help with that.

Brian, what is CVT type transmission?

• HDWildBill said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 06:27 AM

It's a continually variable transmission. Think a large version of a snowmobile transmission where the ratio of the 2 pulleys is continuously variable between the 2 limits. They are becoming very common in cars. They typically will give more fuel economy than an automatic and also good performance. I think they are cheaper and simpler to build as well. Some of them use a steel belt instead of a conventional rubber belt. I think it would be more efficient than a hydrostatic drive because you don't have the pump and motor losses, although in cars they do use a torque converter. Not sure exactly how the big MF tractors are configured. In cars they usually have a wider ratio spread than a 5 or 6 speed automatic, allowing for a very tall top gear, low rpms at highway speeds and good fuel economy. The ones I drove when looking for a new car last year were generally pretty seamless in routine driving but in full throttle acceleration the engine revs up to near redline and sits there until you take your foot off the gas. This tends to be loud and droning on some vehicles. You see CVTs and also 8 and 9 speed automatics becoming more common in cars as they try to improve fuel economy. Both these configurations usually beat out a manual transmission for fuel economy.

• olcowhand, IamSherwood, HDWildBill and 4 others have said thanks

#6 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,645 Thanks
  • 1,059 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 05:52 PM

Ya the new high teck stuff is really something,around here I haven't seen a road grader do blue topping for some time now,just set the GPS and go.Something that once took a lot of skill to do will soon become a lost art---Kinda sad in a way but thats progress.

#7 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 07:33 PM

A couple of years age there was a guy over on the 'other forum' that mounted a Trimble GPS unit on a Bolens Large frame.

I don't know that he actually got it working, I only found the one thread on it.

www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=194275&highlight=trimble+gps

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 08:03 PM

That's a good simple explanation of the CVT, Brian.  Fendt began it, it is brilliant German engineering at its best, and Agco/Massey Ferguson/Challenger bought out Fendt just to get their paws on that transmission.

Ben W.

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,740 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 08:15 PM

I like how the GPS autosteer beeps 50 feet before the end of the field so the farmer wakes up.

#10 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 03:57 AM

It was parked out there before work yesterday so I tried to get a pic but I didnt have time to go into the field again, didnt want to be late for work two days in a row...lol

So its a crappy pic, but its a pic, gives an idea of the size of the combined rig at least

Attached Thumbnails

• 2014-06-04 14.53.35.jpg

#11 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 06:18 AM

It was parked out there before work yesterday so I tried to get a pic but I didnt have time to go into the field again, didnt want to be late for work two days in a row...lol

So its a crappy pic, but its a pic, gives an idea of the size of the combined rig at least

You got to drive that? Lucky guy!!

You need to go back out there, and beg for another joy ride, for the photo op. :worshippy1:

#12 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 11:00 AM

Quite the treat for an old boy that hasnt been around the farm much since the '70s ;)