31 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 09:40 AM

At work yesterday doing my usual things, and my boss comes in.

You need to start tomorrow as the belt greasing foreman.

I don't want to do this, I have 500 other things to do.  I took this outside job so I wouldn't have to go underground anymore. 

You don't have a choice, you need to do this until we find someone else to do it.

How long will that be?

I don't know.  Whenever the hiring freeze is over.

Do I get more money?

No.

*sigh*

If this job didn't have such great health care coverage for my family I would be gone tomorrow.

So Today I am sitting at the WV Mining office to get my paper work updated so I can take the foreman's  test for WV. 

How many times have you guys been "voluntold' to go take care of a duty you really don't want to do that isn't in your job description?

• Alc, hamman, tinbender7 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,742 Thanks
  • 7,514 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 09:59 AM

Happens all the time. If you are a good worker they will punish you with all the work that they can pile on you until you quit. The lazy bums are rewarded.

My neighbor had 40 years at Electric Boat. The new boss was being an extremely abusive jerk so Al retired. Then the boss and his boss had to convince Al not to retire because it was putting them in a bind. He told them that Vietnam had been a better work environment than the way they were running things. He took vacation until his retirement

I took retirement and don't miss any of it.

Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, June 03, 2014 - 10:00 AM.

• Gtractor, Alc, GTTinkerer and 7 others have said thanks

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 10:34 AM

Seems that's the way business work now . Cut a job here or there ,, saves a lot $$ over the years .   Hang in there

• GTTinkerer, hamman, tinbender7 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 10:59 AM

"Voluntold" endlessly in the Corps.

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 11:03 AM

I've had the same thing happen especially in the Navy.  Like Rick said you do your job and they dump on you. If you don't want to go don't pass the test.

• hamman, boyscout862, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 2 others have said thanks

#6 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 11:03 AM

It happens all the time to people bosses can trust.    Good luck. You can handle it.                                                                 Roger.

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,476 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 11:25 AM

Sorry about the job, been there when they laid 40% of the people off in my plant in 2009. I'm still doing all the extra jobs.

Our Environmental director here called me yesterday to confirm that I was going to the IATA trainingi in July to be able to ship hazardous samples.

told him I wouldn't be there.

"Well why not?"

" I have pre-schedule vacation that week"

So I got out of it for another year or so  :D

My wife's favorite words are "we will do or we're going to do.....".  When you look up the translation, it has only my name listed. :wallbanging:

• tinbender7 said thank you

#8 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 11:30 AM

I'm a high school agriculture teacher and it seems I am always being "voluntold" to do more things.  They classify this under the contract as "extra duties as assigned."  "Oh, we need to have a school garden.  You should be in charge of the nature plot.  We have these ticket taker booths that need to be built."  It seems endless.  I don't see the English or Math teachers bending over.  I guess it's what I signed up for.

• Bolens 1000, Alc, tinbender7 and 1 other said thanks

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 11:35 AM

Unfortuneately Thats not my job does not cut it in the corporate world. I always figured my job was whatever the boss told me to do. that worked for for 28 yrs, till they layed me off. so long as the benifits outweigh the negatives you are ahead of the game.
Hangin there and it will work to your benifit.

You get to learn something new. there are only two things in life no one can take from you.
1. your name & 2. what you know

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 03, 2014 - 11:40 AM.

• Bolens 1000, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#10 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 12:10 PM

I am self employed I do everything.
  • Gtractor, IamSherwood, tinbender7 and 2 others have said thanks

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 12:18 PM

I am self employed I do everything.

Yeah Willie, when i had the Lawn Care Service I learned the worst slave driver i had ever worked for was me??? daylight till dark and I could never do enough to satisfy the jerk?
So I quit that job.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 03, 2014 - 12:19 PM.

• Alc, GTTinkerer, tinbender7 and 2 others have said thanks

#12 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 12:36 PM

My boss knows that if he puts me in charge of something it will be done and done right.  The guys who work for me will either work, or be told not to let the door hit them on the way out. 

In a perfect world with good workers under you the job really requires no input from me other than giving the guys a list of what to do, they go do it, and I take care of my other work.  But the guys here do not work like that.  I will have to walk behind them to make sure any of it gets done.

I did pass the test, 99 out of 100.  Been a long time since I had to perform any "bossing" duties underground.  Just means I get to sign my name in more books that you can go to jail over if they are wrong. 

You are right JD DANIELS.  Those are the two things no one can take away from you.  My grandfather always told me that.  I try to live by that, and do the best at what I can. 

I've given a lot to this company over the last 11 years, and they have taken care of me.  When I started in 2003 my salary has went up 400% and my health care is no cost to me and 100% coverage and no deductible for anything.  So I can't complain, but I sure do hate to be told "you are going to do this and you have no choice"

• hamman, tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#13 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 01:53 PM

When I started in 2003 my salary has went up 400% and my health care is no cost to me and 100% coverage and no deductible for anything.  

My last employer paid a bit of my health insurance, then getting my family insured was up to me.  Oh, they had a plan, and it was maybe 5% cheaper than getting insurance on the open market, but my medical INSURANCE costs were more than my monthly mortgage.  Hopefully when I am again gainfully employed my insurance won't be such a huge bite out of my paycheck.

• tinbender7 said thank you

#14 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 02:09 PM

When I started in 2003 my salary has went up 400% and my health care is no cost to me and 100% coverage and no deductible for anything.  

My last employer paid a bit of my health insurance, then getting my family insured was up to me.  Oh, they had a plan, and it was maybe 5% cheaper than getting insurance on the open market, but my medical INSURANCE costs were more than my monthly mortgage.  Hopefully when I am again gainfully employed my insurance won't be such a huge bite out of my paycheck.

That's exactly why I don't leave and haven't.  I've had job offers of more money, but the health care was terrible!  My dad paid out of pocket for his health insurance for years before he was forced to retire, he found when he purchased his own it wasn't much more than he was already paying.

#15 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,192 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 03:16 PM

yes i have , price of doing a good job .  I just remind myself that I'm providing for my family. Tom