13 replies to this topic

#1 TimW OFFLINE  

TimW
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10778
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 10:35 PM

This jumped in my truck when I was picking up some other stuff I really didn't need.  Best I can tell it is a Kinkade Model K.  Somewhere from the late 1920's to early 30's.  It still has a  name plate on its wooden handles.  I was told it had lived in the barn since the 60's.  Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.  I don't know much about most of my stuff, but this one at the top of the don't know list.

Kinkade 006 (1024x768).jpg Kinkade 002 (1024x768).jpg

Edited by TimW, June 02, 2014 - 11:21 PM.

• daytime dave, Alc, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 05:47 AM

Pretty neat !    I wish things like that would jump into my truck ! 

• TimW said thank you

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 06:41 AM

Can you post a clearer picture of the engine on the flywheel side? Something doesn't look right there. It should have a flywheel with fins and a tin shroud if its a K. The cast bracket leading back to the handles look like a K though.

• TimW said thank you

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,607 Thanks
  • 7,659 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 06:53 AM

Pretty neat !    I wish things like that would jump into my truck ! 

That's why I park my truck with the doors open, but it doesn't do much good.

• Alc and TimW have said thanks

#5 TimW OFFLINE  

TimW
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 08:34 AM

Sorry about the vague pics, I will get some good ones posted soon.  I am pretty sure there is a finned flywheel.  The thing covering the flywheel is the bottom of an old galvanized bucket with the center cut out, must have been an option.  The only things that stand out as missing to me is the flywheel cover or shroud, the right throttle handle, and maybe some sort of air intake tube or cleaner.  A friend of mine said we should pressure wash it, shoot it with clear coat or lacquer, and he would make it the centerpiece of his living room.

• DougT said thank you

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,607 Thanks
  • 7,659 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 08:56 AM

A friend of mine said we should pressure wash it, shoot it with clear coat or lacquer, and he would make it the centerpiece of his living room.

Oh! That would take away the patina and ruin the value. Scrub it with a soft brush and dish detergent. Then coat it with an oil. Linseed oil on the wood. If your just going to use it, then it doesn't matter. If it was an absolute wreck you might do a full restore.

Of course, others may think differently.

Edited by LilysDad, June 03, 2014 - 08:57 AM.

• TimW said thank you

#7 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 09:19 AM

I saw one of those fully restored and running at a tractor show a few years ago. They are really impressive to see, but I don't know how easy they would be to actually use.

• TimW said thank you

#8 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 10:01 AM

Pretty neat looking machine.  

• TimW said thank you

#9 B10Dave OFFLINE  

B10Dave

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1808
  • 386 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 01:50 PM

:thumbs:  Nice score on a very neat walk behind. Whether you restore it or just get it running I hope you enjoy ownership...Dave

• TimW said thank you

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 07:56 PM

OK, fail to see the "draw" of these odd machines.  Did they really pull and go?  So, engine in wheel, looks like PIA to work on and where does the "tools" attach?  Zis kinda like a Mini-tiller of the modern world then?  Doesn't it just fill up with mud and become a dirt ball?  :smilewink:

• trowel and TimW have said thanks

#11 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 08:00 PM

OK, fail to see the "draw" of these odd machines.  Did they really pull and go?  So, engine in wheel, looks like PIA to work on and where does the "tools" attach?  Zis kinda like a Mini-tiller of the modern world then?  Doesn't it just fill up with mud and become a dirt ball?  :smilewink:

We can always depends on you to find the flaws, lol, lol, :D , yes, that is some of the reasons it did not become popular.

Edited by trowel, June 03, 2014 - 08:01 PM.

• TimW said thank you

#12 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 09:08 AM

We can always depends on you to find the flaws, lol, lol, :D , yes, that is some of the reasons it did not become popular.

There were 5 basic models of the Kinkades built from 1921 into the mid 50s. Somebody must have liked them.  :smilewink:

GL, the big draw of these machines today is the fact that they are odd. They really were workhorses in their day. The tractor Tim found is missing its tool carriage. It would have been in the back under the handles. These were good because they could go between the rows. One nut holds the wheel on and then its wide open to work on. I think you need a garage full of them.   :D

• TimW said thank you

#13 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 09:15 AM

Sorry about the vague pics, I will get some good ones posted soon.  I am pretty sure there is a finned flywheel.  The thing covering the flywheel is the bottom of an old galvanized bucket with the center cut out, must have been an option.  The only things that stand out as missing to me is the flywheel cover or shroud, the right throttle handle, and maybe some sort of air intake tube or cleaner.  A friend of mine said we should pressure wash it, shoot it with clear coat or lacquer, and he would make it the centerpiece of his living room.

Ahhh Yes, the old galvanized bucket shroud option. Those are rare, not many made. :smilewink:  I guess it at least kept your pant leg from getting caught in the fins. Somewhere here in a thread should be a picture and dimensions of a Walsh shroud. It would be the same as you need and not too hard to fabricate something close. There was an air intake tube and filter. The tube was tall enough to bring the filter above the wheel so it wasn't sucking dirt. The filter looked like half a tin can with a center piece that went down over the tube and had a filter media something like horse hair. It looks ike you're also missing the tool bar and trailing wheels unless you have them removed from the tractor.

• TimW said thank you

#14 TimW OFFLINE  

TimW
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 01:50 PM

I really appreciate all the responses and insight.  You hit my fascination with it right on the mark with "odd and rare".  To me, this is farm Americana at its best.  Or maybe small backyard farmer Americana.  Also, there is a Youtube post of a guy operating what looks to be about the exact same model.  I think I will sit it with the other things I am going to get to someday.  Maybe I will stumble upon some of my missing parts.