13 replies to this topic

#1 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 05:26 PM

Wife asked me to build her some rabbit tractors. Don't ask me why they are called tractors.  They certainly aren't something that leaks oil (my definition of "tractor").  Anyway, she is happy and that is all that matters.  They are 4" x 8" x 2".  The one end contains a raised condo for them (4 x 4 x 1).  The condo also provides shade under it during the heat of the day.  The four roof sections open individually.  The frames are all cedar, cut down from 5/4" decking. They get moved around the yard & the bottoms are open so the rabbits can eat the grass.  Guess that makes them "lawn tractors".

DSCF7440.JPG DSCF7441.JPG DSCF7442.JPG

• Alc, hamman, KennyP and 9 others have said thanks

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 06:02 PM

i'll never understand it either but lawn tractors i do like, you did a great job, happy chickens lay lots of eggs.

• tinbender7, boyscout862 and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 06:05 PM

i'll never understand it either but lawn tractors i do like, you did a great job, happy chickens lay lots of eggs.

And happy rabbits make lots of babies!

• trowel, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,609 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 06:07 PM

Does your wife eat her rabbits?

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#5 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 07:14 PM

Yes, it is the other white meat around here.  27 chicks & 19 bunnies so far this year.  

• GTTinkerer, trowel and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 07:25 PM

I love the definition of tractor.    That should go down in history. 

"Tractor: Something that leaks oil."

Ben W.

• trowel, boyscout862, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 2 others have said thanks

#7 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 07:59 PM

Although Bridgewater Angus is my preferred meat, I wouldn't mind some rabbit now and then.  My wife said she never had it and refuses to even give it a try.  Funny, what I like the least is chicken and she makes me eat that way to often. I gave up trying to get her to compromise but one of these days, I may just tell her, "You have chicken, I'll have some low fat ground beef." EVERY DAY!

When I was a child, we raised the chickens for the year and about 2 weeks later, that big old chest freezer passed away.  We ate some chicken now, breakfast, lunch, dinner, till it was thawed and not edible.  I couldn't even eat chicken till I was in my 20's and never did re-gain a love for it.   We do have a couple chickens but that's cause I like fresh eggs.

The tractors look great and those rabbits should do well in them. :thumbs:

• GTTinkerer, JDBrian, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#8 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,106 Thanks
  • 3,197 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 08:12 PM

Most of my tractors leak some thing. Nice job on the rabbit tractors. I saw one with wheels. When the grass was cut, you moved it to the next spot. Noel.

#9 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 09:05 PM

I love to raise and eat fresh meat, we do chickens here but not rabbits.  Honestly there are enough wild rabbits here I could just go shoot one when I felt like it.  I don't think I have ever eaten rabbit???????  Cant remember.  We raised them when I was but it was for 4h shows.

Pete

#10 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 09:17 PM

I can't stress enough how good and how versatile rabbit is.  There is a reason England encourage its citizens to grow rabbits during the war.  We have done it as pot roast, schnitzel, rabbit Parmesan, General Tso rabbit, pulled rabbit, rabbit salad sandwiches, rabbit ala king, rabbit pot pies, rabbit "wings", etc.  The only thing we haven't been able to do is shake & bake.  If you are looking for cheap meat, rabbit is the answer.  8 to 11 bunnies in a litter.  4 to 6 months to freezer.  3.5 to 4.5 pounds dressed weight (6 portions per rabbit).  Minimal maintenance. Tastes just like your favorite recipe.  

• GTTinkerer, boyscout862 and robert_p43 have said thanks

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 09:25 PM

Wife asked me to build her some rabbit tractors. Don't ask me why they are called tractors. They certainly aren't something that leaks oil (my definition of "tractor"). Anyway, she is happy and that is all that matters. They are 4" x 8" x 2". The one end contains a raised condo for them (4 x 4 x 1). The condo also provides shade under it during the heat of the day. The four roof sections open individually. The frames are all cedar, cut down from 5/4" decking. They get moved around the yard & the bottoms are open so the rabbits can eat the grass. Guess that makes them "lawn tractors".

Leaking tractor? Marking its territory?
Here you go.
tractor.gif
  • boyscout862, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and robert_p43 have said thanks

#12 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 08:32 AM

I never figured out the tractor thing either, other than you move it arund the yard and it's contents cuts down, err, kills the grass :D

I like rabbit, haven't had it in a long time. Dad used to raise Red NZ to butcher. We are picking up a breeding pair of NZ this weekwnd, my son wants to breed and butcher them.

We have 15 meat chickens and 10 turkeys right now, freezer will be full after fair time.

#13 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,239 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 10:02 AM

My grandfather bred rabbits in a pen behind his house when I was a kid.  Not sure what they were,  I assume he trapped wild rabbits, threw them in a pen and let them breed.  We always had a pile of rabbit meat around.  Good eating.

He always cooked it in gravy with potatoes, carrots, onions and whatever else he could toss in there, then served it over mashed potatoes.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner, robert_p43 and propane1 have said thanks

#14 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 08:32 PM

I love to raise and eat fresh meat, we do chickens here but not rabbits.  Honestly there are enough wild rabbits here I could just go shoot one when I felt like it.  I don't think I have ever eaten rabbit???????  Cant remember.  We raised them when I was but it was for 4h shows.

Pete

There is a bunch of difference between the taste of wild and raised for meat rabbits.  Raised them as a kid and sold the meat to a local butcher shop and the feet and raw skins were mailed to a company in Chicago.  Had about 120 of them year around, three to four litters a year.