Garden Tractor Forums banner

Belts...

1K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Gabriel 
#1 ·
Hi all, i have a wheel horse a-100. Ive been using it around they yard and through the woods on some of my trails. So anyways i noticed while i was cleaning it the belt is kind of cracked. Pic: Jaw Pink Cuisine Animal fat Tints and shades

So im not sure if i should replace this asap or if it can wait? Also what are your opinions on other belts like the blue or red or black etc.? Im not sure if theres a difference or not. Just figured id check here. One more thing, on the parts diagrams on this site: http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Jacks-Parts-Lookup/Model-Diagram/TORO/53176/4571 it says it uses an 85" x1/2" belt but i saw different color belts on ebay... Thats why im not sure, is 85" to big?

Zach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
That belt is done! :( I'd go ahead and replace it.

I get good service out of Gates green belts. My experience with Stens blue belts is, I wouldn't put another one on if it was free. I've put on more warrantied free replacements than I ever bought but something about doing the same job over and over doesn't appeal to me in the least.

#5 ·
If you have the Wheel Horse Belt part number I can verify which belt you need.
If you cant find them locally I stock USA made Kevlar replacements.
Here is the part number: 103522
I like to order most of my stuff online since there isnt really any tractor supply kind of store close by with out leaving the island. I live on shelter island, we have to take a ferry to the north or south fork of long island. Ferry ride is about 5min on south side and 15min on north side. So i usually order things off the internet.
And anything USA MADE, is a big plus for me.
Whats the difference between regular belts and kevlar belts?

#6 ·
I'm getting a 1/2 x 85'' belt so your info is correct.

Regular belts are for light duty or automotive applications where the belt dosen't have to do much twisting or clutching.

Kevlar are designed for Lawn and Garden Applications where they are designed for the severe bending, twisting and clutching drives, that's why automotive belts are not recommended for Garden Tractor applications.

I can order you in a belt , if interested just send me a pm.

There's also a few NOS belts on ebay if you want to go that route.

#7 ·
I'm getting a 1/2 x 85'' belt so your info is correct.

Regular belts are for light duty or automotive applications where the belt dosen't have to do much twisting or clutching.

Kevlar are designed for Lawn and Garden Applications where they are designed for the severe bending, twisting and clutching drives, that's why automotive belts are not recommended for Garden Tractor applications.

I can order you in a belt , if interested just send me a pm.
There's also a few NOS belts on ebay if you want to go that route.
Whats a "NOS" belt?

#11 ·
#13 ·
I'm not quite sure. Is there anything fastening it from underneath? Be sure to coat the shaft with some kind of penetrating oil (PB Blaster, etc.) to help get it off easier.
I haven't checked there yet, I've let it soak in WD-40 over night. My grandpa said just take a block of wood and take a hammer and use the block of wood on the shaft and the vibrations will loosen it up and it will come off by hand...
Im not sure if this will work, but i'll give it a shot tomorrow.

#19 ·
Did you ever get your pulley off?
I havent taken it off, but i do understand how to get it off. Id just like to get the pulley before i take it off and then check for belt size. I have decided im going to do an inch or so smaller pulley in the rear. When you measure a pulley, do you measure the outside diameter? Or the inside diameter? (Where the belt sits)

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
I havent taken it off, but i do understand how to get it off. Id just like to get the pulley before i take it off and then check for belt size. I have decided im going to do an inch or so smaller pulley in the rear. When you measure a pulley, do you measure the outside diameter? Or the inside diameter? (Where the belt sits)

I'm not sure about measuring a pulley. Maybe someone else here can help.

#21 ·
So i was tinkering around with my wheel horse and i wanted to see if i could get the front engine pulley off. Well after a few bolts, some vibrations from a hammer. It can right off surprisingly. So im going to do a front pulley swap instead. Im going from a 2 3/4" pulley to a 3 1/2" pulley. Not much but im thinking it will make a difference.

#22 ·
So i was tinkering around with my wheel horse and i wanted to see if i could get the front engine pulley off. Well after a few bolts, some vibrations from a hammer. It can right off surprisingly. So im going to do a front pulley swap instead. Im going from a 2 3/4" pulley to a 3 1/2" pulley. Not much but im thinking it will make a difference.

Glad it came off easy for you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.