Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

New Aquisition And Apparently New Bad Habit !

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 187 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 08:59 AM

the real problem is I have seemed to picked up a bad Habit. 3 months ago I owned no tractors ...now I have three. Some of you may have seen my Habit grow from a Shibaura 14/1400 to a Ford 1500 and now I am looking at a Farmall A 1941 vintage dropped in my yard last nite. Well 2 of three run well now and am using the Ford regular.
When I first spotted this A on bidtrader I wasn`t sure exactly what it was...not much info on pics . Did a little research and one distinguishing feature was a hydraulic control mounted up by driver station. Looked at Tractor data and found the Super A was Hydraulic upgrade to the A. So ASSUMING I bid and won for ridiculous low price. I took this week off from work (alleged vacation) and decided to UShip my tractor instead of spending 2 days retrieving the tractor. Actually a pretty good deal and good service from C&S Transport.
I actually found out thru some pics from a friends Super A that I probably was getting an A someone had cobbled a hydraulic cylinder and control box on. Oh well.....Just another tractor...what`s one more.
I`ll try to gets some pics up later but my question is ....Is it possible to add the touch control of the Super A to the A ???? Can it be done with the available holes in the chassis or would it be a different type set up and what would be the advantage of it beyond controlling the cultivators.
The starter is missing and appears to be a 6 volt system. I`m probably just going to make a good working tractor out of it rather than try to do a full on restore. There`s plenty of them out there restored...so value may be in the working tractor. I`ve decided I don`t really want to fool with the 6 volt so will be going the 12 volt route since I`ve got to get a starter. Any real difference in starters I`m seeing rebuild kits for either in the same package. Anyway looking forward to input from GTF experts on the A`s ....I`m gonna need it. I`ve got to get to the main shaft somehow this afternoon and see if it the engine will move before I get a game plan.
Thanks in advance for any advice and input.
I`m gonna try to upload some pics of the new old farmall and some of the Ford 1500 and the S20140331_100007.jpg 20140530_084613.jpg 20140530_084655.jpg 20140530_084752.jpg 20140530_084818.jpg 20140530_084829.jpg 20140530_084855.jpg 20140530_084907.jpg hibaura 14

• daytime dave, MH81, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,455 Thanks
  • 7,819 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 12:29 PM

Well, get those fenders and wheels blasted and painted on that Ford!  I couldn't drive that w/out fixing that! On the A.......join Farmall forums, and Yesterday's Tractors site.  Think your 6-volt starter might be only one to fit, not sure. You CAN run it on 12 volt with-out hurting it.  It's the gens and lights and coil if one that need to be changed. Make it Neg ground if not already. That hydraulics looks OK on there, except the Tank, if that is what's hanging off the valve cover? I'ld be afraid of breaking those off, unless it is supported below too?  Not sure where a tank would be on reg tractor. Maybe in space behind the clutch, below gas tank? That's quite a set-up with those cultivators on there. Many times stuff like that is taken off and parts get lost and becomes iron in your yard.  Seems there is some regular hitch parts missing?? if you take that off to use drawbar or ?? Thought they had quick-hitches then, but maybe you have more modern and diff type?  Sorry, can't help much on it, I'm an MM fan myself. Join groups and explore!  Yahoo, probly has a group or two, but they are messing with them and harder to use now, but check it out.

• SNUFFY said thank you

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,455 Thanks
  • 7,819 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 12:35 PM

P.S. Seems all the tubes to engine and cleaner and rad are open, maybe have had water in them?? That scares me! Hope not Frozen broken block and such. Remove that air cleaner cup to see if water in it. Even if this has stuck engine, should be worth playing with, looks real complete.   Jensales has manuals that are real nice copies, get OP, Parts, and Repair if one to read over before diving in! Put some Cans or other items over those tubes.

• SNUFFY said thank you

#4 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 660 Thanks
  • 409 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 01:10 PM

On the hydraulics the quick answer is no not easily.  The bell housing where it mounts is different as well as all the lift rods/rockshafts.  There was 2 different ones, one for the hand/pnuematic lift which you have on it and one for the hydraulic.  You also can't put the right hydraulic pump for the touch control unit on it without getting a new engine block as there's no hole for it to mount and I'm not sure how the pump that's on it would work out with the t.c. unit.  As for the starter from what I've been told by the electric repair shop I deal with at work the starter is basically the same for 6 and 12 volt the just put a rubber washer at the end of the drive so it has some cushion when it engages because the 12 volt makes it spin out faster.  I personally would just leave it as 6 volt and just do a good tune up to it.   You have a magneto instead of a distributor so there's not going to be much advantage to having the engine 12 volt to turn over faster to make it start because of the way the mag. works.  And it would save having to get an alternator for it.  Hope this helps.                 Stewart 

• SNUFFY said thank you

#5 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 187 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 02:13 PM

Thanks guys for input. Got a chance to tinker a little today and as expected third cylinder back was full of water as well as crankcase. Tried to moved flywheel where missing starter was and didn`t have any luck there. Didn`t try too hard though after removing spark plugs and draining water in number three. Exhaust manifold is so far gone ( no threads left for exhaust pipe) and full of chunks of rust. I`ll pull it off next and see  and maybe pull the head. Not unexpected from what I saw in the pics and maybe worth the time to rework. The Tires will fit my little Ford anyway if worse comes to worse.

Updates as they come !!

#6 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,699 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 10:38 PM

Your Ford appears to be a 4 wheel drive unit.  Make sure you match tire diameters with factory-spec tires or you'll tear up your driveline and possibly front differential and tranny.

Also, one of the pics showed a front wheel put on backwards.  While this can generally be done on rear wheels, it's not a good idea on front wheels--puts extra stress on the spindles and you end up with broken axles, etc.

Too bad about the Farmall... I do like the looks of them... One of the old time diesel mechanics that I worked with years ago used to put brake fluid in a cylinder that was rusted to free the piston up... seemed to work pretty well for him.

FWIW,

Smitty

#7 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 187 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for help guys !

Yes Smitty it is 4wd and I`m looking for the proper tires for the front. Kinda hard to find and really expensive new. Only time I`m trying out the 4wd is in grass and these tires are slick enough to slip ....really not had to use the 4wd yet so it stays in 2wd.

Haven`t really had time to do much with work and the garden coming on. I`m trying to get the Shibaura Rotovator up and running. Guy I got it from had started to work the bearings on the non drive end and I decided to get a cast iron bearing carrier and am having to rework it a little bit to get it to work. Kinda figured out where he was going with what he had...but didn`t want to pass it along to the next guy, Got the carrier new with shipping for 25$ and will last for a long time with it own grease zerk.

I`m gonna go ahead and pull the head off the Farmall since the manifold will have to be changed anyway. Should be able to see any problems with block and figure out how to unstick it easier. Then we`ll see where we go with it .

Thanks again!!

Anybody need a nice little Shibaura 14 with a Roto !!!

#8 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 187 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 09:57 AM

Got a little time with A and got the head off. Good news the block and what was left in the radiator was full of what appeared to be new pure anti-freeze !! Water jacket was full and holding until I removed radiator. I`m gonna start to gather some parts now if I can get it unstuck. I gave the piston tops a little whack with a 2x2 and hammer. Just enough to rattle it a bit. Poured some transmission fluid with a little acetone in cylinders....we`ll see. Having a hard time getting any strain on flywheel . Since it has the hand crank piece on crank pulley and no handcrank...trying to figure out something there. Tried sticking a 1/2 inch extension thru hand crank just to see if I could feel some thing. I figure it has to be bolted on somehow to crank end. Any ideas....?

#9 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 660 Thanks
  • 409 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 11:55 AM

The piece on the crank pulley for the hand crank is made onto the pulley itself.            Stewart

#10 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,699 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 09:57 AM

Got a little time with A and got the head off. Good news the block and what was left in the radiator was full of what appeared to be new pure anti-freeze !! Water jacket was full and holding until I removed radiator. I`m gonna start to gather some parts now if I can get it unstuck. I gave the piston tops a little whack with a 2x2 and hammer. Just enough to rattle it a bit. Poured some transmission fluid with a little acetone in cylinders....we`ll see. Having a hard time getting any strain on flywheel . Since it has the hand crank piece on crank pulley and no handcrank...trying to figure out something there. Tried sticking a 1/2 inch extension thru hand crank just to see if I could feel some thing. I figure it has to be bolted on somehow to crank end. Any ideas....?

Get a piece of round stock that will slip into the hole in the crank pulley, then cross drill it with about a 1/4" hole and put a Grade 8 bolt through it... cut the head off the bolt and tack in place...Either bend the other end of the round stock into a crank handle,or weld a crank handle on it.

Smitty

#11 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 187 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted June 20, 2014 - 03:32 PM

Thanks guys I was wondering what size bolt it would take for that crank doo-hickey. Hope to get fool with it a little this weekend. Lot of garden coming in right now ....may be not !