• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

Case-Closed
  • Member No: 13397
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 10:20 PM

My heavily modified 646 has been having heat issue ever since I stuffed a Kohler 18 horse v-twin under the hood. The problems have not been with the engine but rather the hydraulic system. When I built this rig I used an oil cooler with a smaller diameter oil passage than that which is on the tractor and that was a dumb thing to do. My return lines were of the clamp on variety and it really sucks when they get too hot and decide to blow off. My solution was a new cooler with 3/4 bore in and outlets and replacing the clamp on return lines with pipe thread hydraulic hoses.  My test of the new system involved running the tiller and using it hard and I have had no more problems. To make this critter fit I extended the hood on my tractor by three inches with the thought of adding an electric fan if need be to the cooler. The hood modifications turned out better than I would have expected and only a trained eye or serious Case prude will ever no the difference.

IMG_0939.JPG IMG_0938.JPG IMG_0940.JPG IMG_0941.JPG IMG_0942.JPG

Edited by Case-Closed, June 01, 2014 - 10:29 PM.

• MH81, Alc, gopher and 1 other said thanks

#2 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 05:23 AM

Glad to hear  you took care of the oil running hot problem :thumbs:

• Case-Closed said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 05:33 AM

Nice looking extension on the hood. Very professional work. Do you have access to an IR thermometer. You could get a temp. reading off the cooler after running it hard to see if you need the fan. I often wondered about using a big vtwin where a single used to sit. There was a 646 for sale locally with a 20hp Honda Vtwin repower. It looked pretty snug under the hood and there didn't seem to be a lot of air circulation.

#4 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

Case-Closed
  • Member No: 13397
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 11:55 PM

I hauled the 646 up the road today  to get in on a local church based community garden. I have been looking for a project that would put my 646 to the test under hard working conditions. What I got is much more than I had bargained for as I ended up spreading mulch for six hours in the hot sun. The 646 performed without a hitch but I do think an adjustment of the banana plate may be in order as my power in the forward direction seemed a little light. All in all I am pretty happy with the 646 as it did the job at hand without any problems.

#5 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 04:51 AM

That is a cool lookin tractor.  You did some good work.  Good job getting it figured, should be a real workhorse. 

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 06:34 AM