• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 361 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 10:08 PM

Going through the LGT 145 that I just received doing maintenance, finding repairs, & making adjustments. I find the transaxle is low on hydraulic oil, so I might as well change it, filling it to the proper level. Going through the forums I find a good quality universal hydraulic should be find for this. My question is on the filter. This tractor has the in line filter which through research looks to be only available through New Holland Tractor Dealers. I have another LGT frame & Hydrostatic axle this has the spin on filter which I have found through some research that a Fram PH16 will work on this. My thinking on this is to change to the spin on filter with the filter more readily available & properly easier to change would be the best thing to do at this time. Is there anything that I am missing on this thought that would be wrong in changing to the spin on filter.

Charlie      

Attached Thumbnails

• Ebay 4.jpg
  • Ebay Purchase 1.jpg

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 04:01 AM

Sounds like a good idea to me. My LGT 165 will get changed over the next fluid change!

• FixItCharlie said thank you

#3 AMCJAVELIN OFFLINE  

AMCJAVELIN
  • Member No: 57416
  • 72 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 05:20 AM

when I did my tractor I changed my fluid out and used 20w motor oil and works great plus I was fortunate enough to have a spin on filter and I do have the fram ph-16 works great only thing that bothered me was my transmission is on the loud side and have talked to few guys that have these eatons  and say some are pretty quiet and some are loud but so far works great no probs at all

#4 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • 361 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 09:28 PM

Parts drawing showing hydraulic lines layout with screw on filter.

Filter 1.jpg

Parts drawing showing hydraulic line layout with lift valve.

Filter 2.jpg

Has any one experience what changes will need to be made to the hydraulic line identified as 22 coming from the lift valve to the filter when changing to the spin on filter adapter. Looking under the tractors it maybe long enough to be cut back to make work. These being steel lines I do not think I could be lucky enough to try & straighten that last bend to connect to the filter.

Charlie

#5 AMCJAVELIN OFFLINE  

AMCJAVELIN
  • Member No: 57416
  • 72 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 05:19 AM

from what I've read I do believe you can get a kit to switch to spin on filter from newholland dealer I think the going rate on them is close to $90.00

#6 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • 361 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 05:17 PM

I already have the part for the spin on filter that came from the donor frame & one of the connection tubes on this will be a simple swap. The frame did not have the hydraulic lift option where the tractor has this option. I was interested in seeing if any one had done this type of change & what changes were needed for that tube.

Charlie

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 07:34 PM

I haven't done this change, but think it may only be some fittings that are needed!

#8 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • 361 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 10:22 PM

Completed the conversion to a spin on filter & changed the hydraulic fluid. I took some pictures to help explain the conversion to the spin on filter. Some of them are not the best pictures but hopefully they will still help explain the process.

S1.jpg

The connection tubes & spin on filter plate. The tube that is still connected to the filter plate will be used to replace the tube going to the inline filter. This is on the right side of transmission. On the lose there one connecter that is needed in the filter plate.

S2.jpg

This is the tube that is removed with the inline filter & not used.

S3.jpg

This is the tube that stays with the tractor to connect to the filter & comes from the lift control valve. I was able to modify this tube while it was connected on this side. Removing this line may have made it a little easier but o lot more things would need to be removed from the tractor to disconnect this tube. By being careful & taking the time it can be done.

S4.jpg

Shows inline filter removed. The tube that is not connected to any thing is the one coming from the lift control.

S5.jpg

This bolt is remove to be replaced by a stud for filter plate mounting.

S6.jpg

This is where the tube that stayed with the filter plate connects on the right side of the transmission.

S7.jpg

The stud bolt for mounting filter plate.

S8.jpg

The filter plate is mounted & this shows about how much will need cut from the tube coming from the lift control.

S9.jpg

How much is cut off the tube. It is a flared tube but I had never seen this type of 2 piece connection use on flared connections.

S10.jpg

Trying to show more on this 2 piece type connection.

S11.jpg

Trying to show more of this 2 piece type connection make sure this is put on the correct way. 

S12.jpg

All connection made & filter mounted.

S13.jpg

The top tube goes to the lift control valve. The lower tube that connects to the center of the filter goes to the right side of transmission.

While filling with hydraulic fluid I added fluid the third time before getting it to stay to the proper fluid level. Add fluid until it starts flowing from the fluid check point. Run tractor going through the different hydraulic functions. Check fluid level & add as needed.

Hopefully this will help any others that are thinking of doing this type of conversion.

Charlie

• KennyP and FilledTires have said thanks

#9 FilledTires OFFLINE  

FilledTires
  • Member No: 48125
  • 224 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 10:34 AM

I have been thinking of doing this for a while to my Ford, but was unsure of the configuration. Thank you so much for this! I have been using the $120 New Holland Inline filter! This conversion will make it much cheaper in the future.

#10 fxdb96 OFFLINE  

fxdb96
  • Member No: 56857
  • 118 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted November 05, 2014 - 02:48 PM

How about one of these

http://www.surplusce...tname=hydraulic

and these

http://www.surplusce...-9-2404-6-6.axd

saw it on another forum

#11 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • 361 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted November 05, 2014 - 10:12 PM

It might work the one thing that check on is how can this be mounted for added support. This filter can not be supported by using the steel lines that are used to connect this hydraulic system. If there is some part of the adapter that will allow for ridged mounting it should be OK.

Charlie  

#12 fxdb96 OFFLINE  

fxdb96
  • 118 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 07:03 AM

Do you think the proposed mount and filter is that much heavier than the existing inline filter?

The inline filter mount does have 2 tapped holed in the top of it i think.  I will see what i can come up with for mounting brackets.  Pics to come...

Unless anyone has found a less costly inline filter replacement?

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 07:06 AM

I never found a replacement for the inline. I have 2 of the remote setups now and will change over when I change fluid again.

#14 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • 361 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 07:47 PM

There will be some weight gain as the filter is larger in size then the inline filter so it will hold more fluid. The spin on adapter will have more mass also. When look at the factory installed spin on filter there is a mounting bracket as seen in the pictures.

Charlie

#15 fxdb96 OFFLINE  

fxdb96
  • 118 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted November 07, 2014 - 10:07 AM

At least one of my hard lines has a mounting strap right near the filter which would bear the weight of the new unit.

After installing the new unit there will be some air in the system?  What is the procedure for getting it out?