• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bprzyw OFFLINE  

bprzyw
  • Member No: 53276
  • 92 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 02:21 PM

Got myself in a pickle. Removed carb to clean and rebuild. Whomever was in there before me boogered up the mail fuel jet slot and threads. So instead og just leaving it alone........I drilled and tapped to remove it. Good thing, it was all clogged. Bad thing...I cannot put it back in. 9/32" hole in the middle of it. Now, sure it would run....nice and strong, until she gave up. So long story short, needing a main fuel jet or a new carb. looks like a A-277061 (new pn# 48 053 07-s) carb. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Bernie

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 02:49 PM

Bernie, here are your options from me at least.

You have the K482 special Carter #26 with the idle and main adjustment needles on top.  The idle is on the side on most other Carters.

I can get you a #26 with the idle on the side for $99 brand new aftermarket.  It looks identical, but you will have to remove the cover on top of the engine on your Bolens to adjust the idle mixture. 

I can get you the 277061 from Kohler for $340.  (!)

Ben W.

#3 bprzyw OFFLINE  

bprzyw
  • 92 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 06:48 AM

Solved problem. found a used carb same as mine, 5 miles from me for $74.00.

Thanks everyone.

#4 bprzyw OFFLINE  

bprzyw
  • 92 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 09:34 AM

Alright, cleaned and rebuilt carb, set float to specs. Carb is now overflowing with fuel. Stuck float valve? It all went together nice, very clean. Oil level right on, not any higher. Just a lot of gas in carb, about 3/8".

#5 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • Member No: 11152
  • 71 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 04:44 PM

sounds like the float is letting too much gas in or the needle and seat are bad

• bprzyw said thank you

#6 bprzyw OFFLINE  

bprzyw
  • 92 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 07:56 AM

Oddfirecj5-------------you are correct!!!! removed old float, replaced with new, adjusted to 11/64" and .010. Runs nice. Cut grass for the first time!!!! At least no fuel in oil.

Ty

#7 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • Member No: 11152
  • 71 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 06:28 AM

awesome!!!! sometimes a brass float will either get a pin hole in it making it fill with fuel and make it difficult to set right. or the needle and seat are bad. or the pin that holds the float is gummed up too bad to let it move easy. glad you got it working!

#8 bprzyw OFFLINE  

bprzyw
  • 92 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 06:45 AM

Well, Oddfirecj5, was great cut for an hour. Put tractor away, next day went out to start, it would not start. removed air filter and cranked engine, carb filled right to the top with fuel. Now fuel in oil. tore it down again... cannot find problem. made sure govener(?) is getting oil, and thats good. Maybe a crack in carb body? at this point i do not know. Back to square one, again.

#9 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 07:05 AM

Is the float adjusted right?  Do you have a new needle and seat?  You should have a fuel pump on that engine.  If you crank the engine and it fills up, then all that's happening is that the float is not shutting off the fuel.

If there is fuel in the oil, I suspect that the fuel pump has a leak and it is pouring oil into the crankcase.  However, if a fuel pump has a leak it is usually not working.  That fuel pump theory is hard to believe since the system is gravity fed, it won't fill up overnight.

Ben W.

#10 bprzyw OFFLINE  

bprzyw
  • 92 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 07:12 AM

Float new, needle and seat new. All adjusted properly. When i removed the carb and bowl, i could blow thru the input line and nothing comes out, so float/needle working as should. the fuel is flowing thru the atmospheric vent hole in the carb, on the righthand side looking down into it. I do not think its a fuel pump, but what do i know.