6 replies to this topic

#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 6,374 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 10:58 AM

Tearing down neighbors pool and crude fence around it. Some poles came out easy, others not. I took the 990 down and used 3pt to pull, but had little movement and not too good. Took the D-180 down, and had more pull power, but again not enough movement. Finally took the Power King down and got some real lift and worked good. I just wrapped a chain around them, that caught on the bumps on the one side and even tho you loose movement with slippage, it pulled. Have to go back today and finish the rest, it was getting dark and I was worn out!  I made a fire and burnt up the pieces of topper and liner. They did good on a wood fire. Pool was not opened for 3 or 4 years and liner was probly 25 years old. Whole thing was a mess, and lots of work and wetness to get down. NOW, still have puddle of water where it set. Sunk in and no lower spot for water to go. Most went into the pond right there, but now is stuck. Not sure why it doesn't just sink down in ground? Maybe have to check for plastic under sand?? Ewww! That will be bad. I got the Deck and pump/filter, which are fairly new for parts on my pool for taking it down. Not sure it was worth it. Still gotta get the deck, hope to put on my trailer in one piece?  metal place will get most of the rest.

• bgkid2966 said thank you

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,528 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 11:40 AM

Ya, I helped my ex's family install a pool and there was two layers od visqueen under the sand! Good luck with that. Sounds like some fun seat time though.                                     Roger

#3 Cat385B OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,337 Thanks
  • 8,683 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 12:01 PM

There is Portland mixed into the sand most likely.

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,676 Thanks
  • 4,224 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 12:56 PM

After I wrap the chain around the post, I use a vice grip above the chain to keep if from sliding and presto...The post rises!

Edited by KC9KAS, June 01, 2014 - 07:02 PM.

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 6,374 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 05:58 PM

Posts all out today!  Pulled pretty good, even one with maple roots from little stub nest to it. Came out the hardest, heh! Good old PK, had better lifting hitch, pulled them out at almost idle too. I could lower it back down and it would get another grip or sometimes needed a little pushing down to move.  Picked up all the metals on my trailer, and the keeper stuff in another load, mowed around the area some, now just the deck left. Think I'm gonna knock that down, kinda big, and make it smaller for my daughter's pool then. Hope I can remember where all the pieces go!  AND, of course all the bolts/screws are rusty and will be PIA to remove. Most have slotted heads too, dang! No wrench on that end.

#6 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,424 Thanks
  • 2,785 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 06:47 PM

I usually just run the chain up over an old rim and pull the posts up.

• HowardsMF155 and LilysDad have said thanks

#7 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,689 Thanks
  • 2,911 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 08:22 PM

I pulled a number of pine saplings clearing a meadow for Dad some years back.  The saplings generally were up to 8-9 ft tall and maybe up to 2 inch in diameter?  I was pulling them out sideways to start with a winch, but that was hard work and occasionally slid the truck.  I actually had to learn that the truck would move if I pulled straight back.  Someone suggested I build an "A" frame that would act as a lever and convert sideways pull to straight up pull, worked really well after that.