Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Bought An A/c Big Ten Parts Tractor By Accident.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,448 Thanks
  • 1,600 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 10:31 PM

I decided to restore the B1 I bought a while back, and found a Big Ten the other day in Massachuttes. It was listed on craigslist as a B10 for 250.00 with the deck and a sears plow. The deck looked great, but the tractor looked to be a mess. I was mainly interested in the transaxle, since the one in the B1 has a worn axle tube.
Anyway, when I arrived to pick up the B10, it turned out to be a Big Ten. The hood was missing, the dash and grill frame were hacked, the engine was white and obviously a replacement. The tractor turned over, but didn't run. The rear and beveled gear box were tight and the deck was in excellent shape. We loaded it up and we brought it home, since there were a a bunch of good parts to work with.
I decided to see if I could at least get it running before I tore it apart.I turned the key and cranked it over, but no spark. The points were grungy, so I cleaned them, set the gap, and got intermittent spark. I disconnected the ignition wire and that was the problem, a bad ignition switch. The engine fired on starting fluid, but wouldn't run. It turned out that there was water in the carb, so I cleaned it and the engine ran great! No smoke, no knocks, and no odd noises.
After changing a front rim and tire, and adding a little gear oil to the BGB and trans, I took it for a ride. Well, I no longer have a parts tractor. Everything works fine and now I need to find a hood, dash, and the proper starter generator brackets. I spent the day today cleaning the engine after replacing the head gasket. The engine is a 16HP Briggs, model 326434 0134-02. The engine is ready for paint tomorrow, and will be reinstalled after the frame and drivetrain get fresh paint. I'll clean and paint the deck and use this Big Ten as a mower around the house. I took off the plow and put it with the suburbans.
Here's a pic from the Craigslist add and two pics after I took it for a ride.

Attached Thumbnails

• 00q0q_5spSXk9Ihzi_600x450.jpg
  • 20140530_132503.jpg
  • 20140530_132435.jpg

Edited by classic, May 31, 2014 - 10:34 PM.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#2 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,448 Thanks
  • 1,600 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 10:47 PM

Here's the deck. The spindles are tight and turn smoothly. The housing is in great shape with very little rust, but it could use a set of new blades. This should make a good mower without a whole lot of effort.

Attached Thumbnails

• 00h0h_bMoFo1dhC3t_600x450.jpg

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 1 other said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 04:57 AM

Isn't it nice when a great "accident" happens? Looks like a great mowing machine.
  • classic said thank you

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 05:27 AM

Ah, Hah !! you got that one too !! cool, very cool :thumbs:

Edited by trowel, June 01, 2014 - 05:27 AM.

• classic said thank you

#5 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,807 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 05:48 AM

I saw that and was going to call on it but the pics looked the same as what you posted a few days ago.  Good buy!  Looks good cleaned up.  I may have the parts you need or at least the generator brackets, I will look later today.

Pete

• trowel and classic have said thanks

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 05:59 AM

That was some good accident.  I would love to have good wheels and tires on my B12, of course, I would also love to have the time to work on my B12!  Congrats.

• trowel and classic have said thanks

#7 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,448 Thanks
  • 1,600 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 08:09 AM

Thanks guys, overall I think it was a pretty good buy, too. I wouldn't have bought it if I wasn't looking for parts for the B1, since I don't really need another tractor.On top of that, the B1 is completely disassembled and I have parts strewn everywhere. Ahh, but what the heck, it's a hobby too and I'm having fun with it. My son helped me get the carb cleaned up and we both smiled when it fired right up afterwards.
My brother stopped by to show me some pics of an A/C sitting by a barn at a job he is working on. The guy said he would sell it, so I have to go look at it since I "need" another tractor, heh!....But this ones a hydro!If the price is right I'm going to pick it up. It looks to have been sitting for a while, so anything could be wrong with it. Here are a couple of pics my brother took the other day.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140530_100740.jpg
  • 20140530_100707.jpg
  • 20140530_100722.jpg

• sacsr and trowel have said thanks

#8 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 08:32 AM

Thanks guys, overall I think it was a pretty good buy, too. I wouldn't have bought it if I wasn't looking for parts for the B1, since I don't really need another tractor.On top of that, the B1 is completely disassembled and I have parts strewn everywhere. Ahh, but what the heck, it's a hobby too and I'm having fun with it. My son helped me get the carb cleaned up and we both smiled when it fired right up afterwards.
My brother stopped by to show me some pics of an A/C sitting by a barn at a job he is working on. The guy said he would sell it, so I have to go look at it since I "need" another tractor, heh!....But this ones a hydro!If the price is right I'm going to pick it up. It looks to have been sitting for a while, so anything could be wrong with it. Here are a couple of pics my brother took the other day.

I know how you feel.  Last fall I had 2 Waterloo walk behinds.  As of yesterday, I now have 9.  I may have pasted through "hobby" and moved on to "hoarder" or or something worse.

• sacsr, trowel and classic have said thanks

#9 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,448 Thanks
  • 1,600 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 08:49 AM

At least the machines are useful Canadian D.B., it helps justify the hobby (hording) you are talking about. A lot of this old equipment got scrapped or parted out over the years around here. At some point, we will be looking back on these conversations and realize that we had it good.
  • trowel and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#10 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,448 Thanks
  • 1,600 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 06:24 PM

I managed to get the engine painted today. The governor linkage was all wrong so I straightened that out. I made new intake gaskets and a new oil pan gasket while it was apart and installed the new head gasket. The coil and points are gaped and a new plug is installed. Now on to the rest of the project.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140531_110120-1.jpg
  • 20140601_182241-1.jpg
  • 20140601_181856-1.jpg
  • 20140601_185656-1.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse and trowel have said thanks

#11 B10Dave OFFLINE  

B10Dave

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1808
  • 386 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 10:35 PM

Nice catch Classic. The hood was likely left off after the 16 was installed because the oil filler/dipstick won't fit under it. You could remove that part and plug the hole in the block and just fill or top up the oil through the plug on the end of the pan as was done on the original 10hp. Nice work on painting the engine as well....Dave

Edited by B10Dave, June 01, 2014 - 10:37 PM.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#12 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 03:12 PM

How did you prep the engine for painting?  How did you remove the rust?

• classic said thank you

#13 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 04:24 PM

Look good there :wave:  my oh my she's going to be sweet looking.

• classic said thank you

#14 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,448 Thanks
  • 1,600 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for the info regarding the dip stick, Dave. After pulling the tins, carb, head, flywheel, etc. I cleaned the oil and grime off of the block with gas and brass and steel wire brushes. It was tedious and time consuming. I lightly sand blasted the head, engine tins, and a few other small parts. I have a hand held speed blaster that holds about a small coffee can full of media and I blast outside. I make my own media from sand from work sifted through a window screen and it works great. The best part is that it's free.
This isn't a show quality job since the tractor will be used regularly, but it's still time consuming prepping an old grimy engine for paint. I just want the machine clean with no leaks and easy to clean after use. I'm hoping to mow with this machine for quite some time.
The B1 is the one I want to fully restore. The engine is ready to go back together, the seals for the BGB just came in, the axle tube bushings, trans housing bushings, trans and axle seals just came in, too. I finally found a good axle tube, so all of that can go back together. This is the B1 I picked up locally, with a bunch of attachments from the original owners son.

Attached Thumbnails

• 00J0J_fgHPVnn3bOM_600x450.jpg

• trowel and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#15 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,448 Thanks
  • 1,600 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 06:58 PM

This is what the engine looked like before paint, and I had to remove a large mouse nest made out of insulation from the blower housing. The engine came apart easy for the most part, but one stubborn head bolt snapped which took about an hour to drill out and retap the hole. The flywheel screen screws were a pain, but came out by using some penetrating oil and tapping on them with a small hammer. I also had to use some map gas to remove the muffler and pipe.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140530_132435-1.jpg
  • 20140531_110120-1.jpg

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you