Anyway, when I arrived to pick up the B10, it turned out to be a Big Ten. The hood was missing, the dash and grill frame were hacked, the engine was white and obviously a replacement. The tractor turned over, but didn't run. The rear and beveled gear box were tight and the deck was in excellent shape. We loaded it up and we brought it home, since there were a a bunch of good parts to work with.
I decided to see if I could at least get it running before I tore it apart.I turned the key and cranked it over, but no spark. The points were grungy, so I cleaned them, set the gap, and got intermittent spark. I disconnected the ignition wire and that was the problem, a bad ignition switch. The engine fired on starting fluid, but wouldn't run. It turned out that there was water in the carb, so I cleaned it and the engine ran great! No smoke, no knocks, and no odd noises.
After changing a front rim and tire, and adding a little gear oil to the BGB and trans, I took it for a ride. Well, I no longer have a parts tractor. Everything works fine and now I need to find a hood, dash, and the proper starter generator brackets. I spent the day today cleaning the engine after replacing the head gasket. The engine is a 16HP Briggs, model 326434 0134-02. The engine is ready for paint tomorrow, and will be reinstalled after the frame and drivetrain get fresh paint. I'll clean and paint the deck and use this Big Ten as a mower around the house. I took off the plow and put it with the suburbans.
Here's a pic from the Craigslist add and two pics after I took it for a ride.
Edited by classic, May 31, 2014 - 10:34 PM.