27 replies to this topic

#1 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 08:55 PM

Because I have a lot of confessions to make.

I'll start confessing here.  Look what I did to the beauty of my yard:

IMG_9384.JPG IMG_9385.JPG IMG_9387.JPG IMG_9388.JPG IMG_9389.JPG IMG_9390.JPG IMG_9400.JPG

It hasn't run in about 20 years, but that will change.  It sports a Kohler, for crying out loud.  You can't destroy them except by doing something really stupid. 

It is a 1967.  Not being an established green Kool-Aid drinker, I doubt if I will be holding on to it, but who knows what will happen once I drive it. 

Right now, all I know is that it won't roll because the rear end is locked up.  A Farmall tractor pulling a JD tractor looks really good, folks.  :wave:

It has a crack in the front hood, and a nice collection of lichen off both sides.  But it'll get over it.  IMG_9392.JPG

My only question is what doohicky is this contraption hanging off the front?

IMG_9386.JPG

Ben W.

• hamman, johndeereelfman, sacsr and 7 others have said thanks

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,539 Thanks
  • 3,926 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 09:01 PM

Whoa Ben,

Are you feeling OK? Didn't bump your head or anything.  :smilewink:  :smilewink:

By the way, nice looking tractor.

• tinbender7, boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#3 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 09:20 PM

You did just fine Ben. and I'm glad you got it!  :thumbs:

The thing in the front is actually an adapter mount so you can mount a newer flat fender blade to these older tractors. You can also mount the newer flat fender weight bracket to this adapter. 

As far as I can tell, the only things you need for parts is the PTO cover and a correct muffler. The muffler can be bought through one of our sponsors, Hapco, and the PTO cover can be found on ebay. Hope you can get a chance to enjoy it a little before you decide to sell it. Who knows, by the time you decide to part with it, I may be able to take it off you hands. What's adding one more to the collection gonna hurt?

Edited by johndeereelfman, May 31, 2014 - 09:23 PM.

• MH81, boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#4 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 09:44 PM

You can always offer it up as a burnt offering to the gods of real tractors.

• superaben and petrj6 have said thanks

#5 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 09:53 PM

I LIKE it !      :thumbs:

• superaben said thank you

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 09:55 PM

You did just fine Ben. and I'm glad you got it!  :thumbs:

The thing in the front is actually an adapter mount so you can mount a newer flat fender blade to these older tractors. You can also mount the newer flat fender weight bracket to this adapter. 

As far as I can tell, the only things you need for parts is the PTO cover and a correct muffler. The muffler can be bought through one of our sponsors, Hapco, and the PTO cover can be found on ebay. Hope you can get a chance to enjoy it a little before you decide to sell it. Who knows, by the time you decide to part with it, I may be able to take it off you hands. What's adding one more to the collection gonna hurt?

Is that adaptor a real Deere attachment, Troy?  It sure doesn't look like Deere quality to me. 

I guess I will enjoy it.  I always like the variable speed tractors, they are a lot of fun to play with.

I'll keep you in mind, but be prepared to come quick.  Green fever might infect me and I might die.  And that wouldn't be good.

You can always offer it up as a burnt offering to the gods of real tractors.

You're invited to the cookout.  :rocker2:

Ben W.

• johndeereelfman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 10:03 PM

Yes, that attachment was a factory dealership option. If you use it for a flat fender blade, you'll need a different lift rod than what was standard for the round fenders. It's a little longer than the round fender lift rod, and has a triangle piece of steel welded on the end of it.

• boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 10:09 PM

There's more here to the story, anyway. 

I bought it from a guy whose place is buried far back in George Washington National Forest.  I was renting him a mini excavator, and I just happened to see a little 110 parked next to his house.  We chatted about it, and I tried to get a package deal out of him for this little turkey and a JD H with original factory electric start.  I really wanted that H.  I still want that H.  And I will get that H yet.  :wave:

The 110 was up on blocks.  He had bought it for his son for his son to play with back years ago.  After his son was done with it, there she sits. 

He shot me a price that was double what I would even consider paying for it.  I shot him a price that was lower than I would probably spend.  We both acted like horse traders and pretended like neither one of us would survive the night if it was any other way than what we wanted. Its not fun unless that happens, anyway. We finally agreed on a ballpark figure and I said I would think about it. I also wanted the serial off of it to date it. 

The next day I picked up the mini.  Since a mini is the best tractor rescue tool they make, I decided I was going to make a deal on the tractor while the rescuing was good.  After the handshaking was over, I got the mini in position to pull the tractor.  Except pulling wasn't going to work here.  One front wheel tie rod falls off, and the transmission turned out to be locked up.  The other front wheel was flat. 

So I said "Heck with that."

I got another strap from the truck and the tractor was air borne.  Mini excavators are great tools.  I think I need one here at my shop all the time.  :thumbs:

Ben W.

• olcowhand, johndeereelfman, sacsr and 2 others have said thanks

#9 lesmeister OFFLINE  

lesmeister
  • Member No: 30635
  • 185 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 12:02 AM

I believe all 200 series and the gear drive 100 series rear ends will work as a replacement or for parts. I sold a sf 110 rear end to a guy and he put it in a rf 110 tractor. Glad to see you are going GREEN!!!!
  • Trav1s said thank you

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 05:05 AM

When your boss is going to sell a mini you should look into buying it. Pick one that you know isn't trashed. The right tool makes life easier and safer. Good Luck, Rick

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,276 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 05:19 AM

Ben, I would post a longer reply here...
But my momma told me
image.jpg

Just kidding, looks like a nice 110.
Parts for the rear end should be findable. It's a peerless, isn't it?

#12 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 06:31 AM

:toilethead:

I feel like I ought to be embarrassed.  I think I've ruined my sterling reputation.  If I had one to begin with.

Actually, its time to come out of the closet.  I've been a Deere owner for about a year now.

IMG_5724_sm.jpg IMG_5726_sm.jpg IMG_5729_sm.jpg

Ben W.

• olcowhand, grnspot110 and Trav1s have said thanks

#13 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,539 Thanks
  • 3,926 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 06:44 AM

:toilethead:

Actually, its time to come out of the closet.  I've been a Deere owner for about a year now.

Ben W.

Huh...... That is scary, close the door.  :smilewink:

• KennyP and superaben have said thanks

#14 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,626 Thanks
  • 7,669 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 06:58 AM

Ben, if you see a couple of goons with no necks and wearing Italians suits dragging their knuckles up your front sidewalk; be advised their there to collect your membership card. 'Nuff said!

#15 Littledeere ONLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 07:22 AM

That's in much better cond than most you find.Looks like I need to come up with something you just have to have {LOL}