#31 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 07:11 PM

I also find the hopper throat the rubber deflector is bolted to tends to jam easily after you scoop on a load of moist leaves or clumps of grass requiring a stick to poke it loose, every now and then i poke too far and the flail hammers catches the stick giving me a rattle, i worry someday it will rip it out of my hands, too big a stick could do same damage internally and if using the bar grate it will fling chunks right at your feet/legs so i figured with a hopper extension the load could be pushed into the shredder at a steady rate via a push paddle you made mentioned of.

I made mulch for the flower garden from woody stuff early this spring when it was all still dead, re-ground 3 times to make some nice fine stuff, can't stand the chippy stuff, after a few months it ''floats'' to the top and looks crappy.

If you mulch, leave the pile until next spring, then re-grind it, it will be partually decomposed and make for some great stuff, if you could get dry tree bark from a local lumber mill you could make some really great bark mulch.

I find it does a good job making compost when compared with the newer modern Troy Bilts and other brands which always clogs at the discharge chute anyways. Mix horse poo, leaves/garden wast and grass, let sit for three weeks to a month and re-shred.

Edited by trowel, June 04, 2014 - 07:19 PM.

• olcowhand said thank you

#32 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,414 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 07:25 PM

Good looking chipper there, Daniel! Feed it some SeaFoam, might help clear some things up!

• olcowhand and trowel have said thanks

#33 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 05:45 AM

My friend Joe has one like yours , he made some kind of hitch mount for his Ford 165 to lift the chipper up and I believe he doesn't even remove it when he using it . I read somewhere on these chippers , when your chipping thing that might clog up the screens or slats , keep some small twigs and stick near by and throw in , it help dislodge  the mess and keeps the chipper  going .  It does work , also while I'm chipping I'll keep some straight branches 1/2- 1" thick to use as pushers ,  don't use the end of a lawn rake , it doesn't like the flailing hammers lol

#34 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 08:22 AM

I plan to make "push paddles" that will be sized as not to be able to enter the blade or hammer area.  Have to make one for each.

• trowel said thank you

#35 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 04:42 PM

Used my Troy-Bilt today to chip a couple piles of tree trimmings:

HPIM3079 (800x597).jpg

40 minutes later:

HPIM3081 (800x597).jpg

It says "3 inch", but that's a bit of a stretch!  Does a good job though.  ~~  Lowell

Edited by grnspot110, June 06, 2014 - 05:02 PM.