Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What brand of cordless tools do you use?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 chopperfreak2k1 OFFLINE  

chopperfreak2k1

Tractorholic

• Member No: 300
  • 17 Thanks
  • 431 posts

Posted June 11, 2010 - 01:35 PM

i was on a job years ago with my new 14.4v dewalt, and a co-worker had just bought a new 18v craftsman built by ryobi. well we had a test, put both drills set to direct drive and hold it tight with our hand then pull the trigger. we both stopped the big craftsman from turning but neither of us could stop the smaller dewalt.

#17 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted June 11, 2010 - 06:14 PM

Higher voltage does not always translate into higher torque. The Ryobi line is directed squarely at the homeowner who is an "occasional user" as opposed to the tradesperson who is a "daily user". If you are going to make your living from your tools, then usually it is smart to buy the very best. Ryobi doesn't claim to be the very best nor do they claim that are as good as Makita, DeWalt, Milwauka, Hitachi, Bosch and Panasonic. But they will get the job done in most cases and for a very economical price in comparison to those other brands. Whether you use a cordless tool or you don't, the batteries will deteriorate anyway. I don't know of anyone that has had exposure to cordless tools that didn't complain about the high cost of replacement batteries and the obsolesence factor that most of the big guys thought was a cool idea.

On one hand, they were telling us how tough, well made and long lasting their cordless tools are and then in short order they would come out with a newer design that wasn't backwards compatible with the previous tools. High-end cordless tools are not cheap to buy and all they did was create deep resentment when they did that.

#18 SonnyT OFFLINE  

SonnyT

Deceased

• Member No: 382
  • 116 Thanks
  • 125 posts

Posted June 11, 2010 - 06:21 PM

My first was a 14v Craftsman and it has been junk after the first 3 months. Then got a 12v Milwaukee and it has been decent. Now have 12v and 18v Dewalt's. 18v is the Best. We bought 28v Lithium Milwaukee's at work and they work great, except they are a little heavy!Posted Image

#19 cbettag OFFLINE  

cbettag

• Member No: 2203
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted March 03, 2011 - 12:07 AM

I am a Milwaukee fan myself. I have some of their 28 volt line (skill saw, hammer drill, and sawzall) and i recently got an impact and a drill from their 12 volt line. I use the 12 volt 90% of the time, the larger drill is just to heavy to tote around all day!

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted March 03, 2011 - 01:11 AM

I have been using Craftsman C3 (19.2v Nicad) stuff for over 5 years. I use them at work HARD. Also, built my daughter's room with them,etc. I am not kind to my cordless power tools & I expect them to do more than they are rated for often.:rocker2:

My original drill, sawzall, sabersaw, & skill saw all work fine as do 2 of the original 4 batteries. I have since bought 2 new replacements for the defective batts.

I will tell you this, I am NOT impressed with the Lithium Ions from Craftsman. Yes they have a faster charge rate, better retention, and hold a charge longer... but EVERY time your saw catches or your drill stalls, you have to reset the battery on the charger.

Last Lithium I will own until they fix this problem. My Nicads may be bulkier, but I don't have to come down the ladder again every time I bend a blade either. :wallbanging:

#21 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 02:14 PM

My first was a Makita and used it for many years. Last Spring I bought a new Hitatchi and really liked it till it sat under water for 10 days due to a flood. I had every intention of buying another to replace it, but found a Porter Calbe on sale for less and that's what I'm using now.

The problem I see with all cordless tools I have owned is the batteries die long before the tool is worn out.
The cost of replacing batteries is higher than a new tool with batteries. So the old one becomes a throw away.

#22 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2090
  • 148 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 02:29 PM

My first was a B&D Firestorm. Still have it, going on 11 years now. I believe it is a 9 volt. Also have an older Craftsman 12 volt. It needs a new battery, though. Won't hold a charge anymore for any length of time. It was given to me, so the price was right.

#23 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 02:53 PM

I am currently using DeWalt 18v tools. I have a Ryobi 18V set that I bought when I was building our house. It was....ok, but I was on my 3rd set of batteries and my buddy (an electrician) bought a DeWalt drill and impact driver set, gave me the impact driver and his old drill that he was replacing and I have had awesome luck with it.

#24 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 03:45 PM

I also have the Craftsman 19.2V NiCd setup, which was recommended to me by MH81. I believe when he was in the market for them, I had one of the 14.4V Craftsman drill drivers that had served me well (under much less abuse than he gives his) and so I recommended the Craftsman to him. Several years later, I have several of the tools and batteries and love them all! My only complaint is that under heavy use, the saws REALLY drain the batteries FAST! That's not really an issue at this point, because the price of replacement batteries has come down to a manageable level and I have several "extras" waiting in the wings. I re-did my upper garage using nothing but these tools and was very satisfied with their performance. I must also add that we use the DeWalt industrial line at work and I have also been very satisfied with their performance, but the original cost is prohibitive for the average homeowner.

#25 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 06:39 PM

I started with Porter Cable years ago & stuck with them. At the time I was doing quite a bit of woodworking. I checked the trade magazine tool tests, the only one better on the 12V (biggest in use at the time) than the PC was Milwaukee & the price was a lot higher than the PC.

I don't care much for Dewalt, not because of the quality, but the color. My wife doesn't need to know every new tool I buy & the bright yellow Dewalt shows up a lot more than the dull gray of the Porter Cable! :D ~~ grnspot

#26 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 10:23 PM

I started with Bosch in the late 80's, used them for several years before they finally gave up. Mid-90's started using Makita when they first came out with 12 vt.. Now all I use and own is DeWalt 18XLR stuff, I could never afford Milwaukee, even though I always liked their stuff.

Edited by Texas Deere and Horse, March 30, 2011 - 10:30 PM.

#27 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted April 01, 2011 - 12:04 AM

I've tried a few different brands, but I've moved to the Makita 18v lithium now and they are the best I've had. I also worked part time repairing the Makita tools for a few years, so I have an idea of how good they are and what tends to fail. There's a bit of a caveat there though...Makita makes a wide range of 18v lithium cordless, and some of their drills aren't that great. I've got the 318 kit with drill and impact driver...good professional tools with lots of power. Pay the money for the tools you need, don't buy a cheaper homeowner model.

The other thing to keep in mind is that these are cordless tools. They aren't meant for driving 3/4" auger bits into old fir or hardwood all day long like plumbers and electricians do. I've seen framers and reno guys try to use the cordless saws for the kind of cutting that should be done with corded tools. The result is always the same...new armature, field, and brushes. Same with serious metal workers and the cordless grinders. They are meant for light grinding, not cutting through 1/4" plate.

Finally keep your tools clean. Blow them out with air after use. If you work with metal, take them apart every few months and clean the shavings out. In cordless tools the field (sometimes called a yoke or york unit) remains magnetized all the time, so metal shavings stick to it. That makes the armature bind and can burn the drill up. Take them apart and clean it. Make sure you put it back together properly.
  • daytime dave and caseguy have said thanks

#28 ih674 OFFLINE  

ih674

• Member No: 2737
  • 8 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted April 16, 2011 - 04:58 PM

Im not too keen on the build quaility od dewalt. I always but hitachi now. Are they popular on your side of the water?

#29 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2702
  • 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted April 18, 2011 - 01:07 PM

I am thinking about buying the dewalt set??? At the shop I use the Snap On 14.4 volt 3/8's cordless impact at 300 ft/lbs I use it every day, all of my tear downs that cordless impact gets used. I also have the matching 1/2 inch drill that is also 14.4 volts. both cordless tools are a dream to use. But I use them every day so that justified the heavy price tag. Heck the 3/8" impact was 379.00!! So far I have been using them hard every day for two years and the batteries still last just as long.

But for home use I have been heavily considering that Dewalt setup. I am tired of having extension cords every where for the sawzall,skill saw, drill etc etc. just to do small house projects. any reccomendations?