Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What brand of cordless tools do you use?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 28, 2010 - 08:22 AM

I can't say I have a preference on any brand, I currently have Dewalt but they aren't made like they used to be. The cordless drill I have has the built in hammer drill and when you use it or you hit the torque limit you can feel the case separate a little at the seam. The saws all works pretty good and I can't complain about it. It was amazing though going from 12 and 14 volt to 18 volt. I guess now there are 24 volt models out. I plan on using mine till they finally die before replacing them.

#2 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 28, 2010 - 09:26 AM

Years ago I used Makita's with 9.6volt stick batt's. Now I use Dewalt 14.4volt, the 18volt series is much more popular.
My 14.4 volt stuff, I have 3 different grades of batt's, 1 is small, 2nd is a little bigger, 3rd is XRP. All these batt's fit the same tool just different grades, got to watch where and what you buy.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 28, 2010 - 09:37 AM

B&D Firestorm 18V. Used to be Craftsman, but the batteries in this Firestorm seem to give longer run times, plus longer overall life. Lithium is probably the way to go, but can't afford them....maybe prices will go down enough with time.

#4 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted February 28, 2010 - 11:02 AM

I used to do maintenance work for a major home center company. We used all different brands of tools. I guess the quality is always changing, but the ones I like best are Bosch, Dewalt, and Makita.
I don't own any, nor have I used any tools with them, but I think olcowhand is right about the Lithium batteries being the way to go. I have used them in my camera, and they last a very long time.
One thing that I noticed, on all the different brands we used, was that the higher voltage models weren't necessarily "better" than the lower voltage tools. I liked the 14 - 18 volt tools the best. When you were running a saw, the higher 24 voltage seemed to be a plus. When drilling, however, the higher voltage models would get too hot. Seemed like the cooling fans/vents weren't big enough. Probably wouldn't be as big of a problem with most "homeowner" use though. Maybe the newer ones, particularly the Lithium battery models, have eliminated that problem.
I live close to Chicago, and there are Bosch and Dewalt distribution centers there. They also have stores, out front, where you can buy reconditioned tools. They are way cheaper, and come with a warranty. I'm not sure, but I think it was a full warranty. Best way is to buy them is in person, so you don't have the shipping, but you can buy them off their web sites too.
I have been to the Bosch warehouse. I took my, expired warranty, router in for a repair (I bought it new from Amazon) It had a speed control, that was "factory caused". I walked in the door, handed them the tool, and 15 minutes later, I was on my way home... no charge! It's kind of neat. The tool repair shop, is right next to the sales room. They have big picture windows, and you can watch the guy repairing your tool. The place looks like, and is as clean as, an operating room. They have all their tools lined up, and in perfect order. Nice to experience some good service these days!

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted March 01, 2010 - 04:24 PM

B&D Firestorm 18V. Used to be Craftsman, but the batteries in this Firestorm seem to give longer run times, plus longer overall life. .

I've got the same thing, and it is still going after about 3 years

#6 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted March 02, 2010 - 08:50 AM

The only cordless tool I have is my craftsman drill. It gets the job done for me. For most things in the shop I will grab my corded DeWalt.

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 07, 2010 - 07:42 AM

The only cordless tool I have is my craftsman drill. It gets the job done for me. For most things in the shop I will grab my corded DeWalt.

It is hard to beat the power from a corded tool. Cordless is nice but when you have a lot of repetitive stuff to do you can't beat the corded power.

#8 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 07, 2010 - 11:19 AM

It is hard to beat the power from a corded tool. Cordless is nice but when you have a lot of repetitive stuff to do you can't beat the corded power.

You're absolutely right. Most of the lower priced, cordless tools, don't have the bearings capable of constant use either.

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 09, 2010 - 02:23 PM

I used to always use Makitas when I worked in the glass shop and they always did a great job and lead me to buying my own way back when. It isn't easy finding them around here though. Dewalt used to be really good but I'm not too impressed with the drill and saws all that I got. I mean they get the job done but the quality just isn't there like it used to be.

#10 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 09, 2010 - 12:45 PM

I bought the Ryobi 18v system many years ago. A year later, I bought the Homelite 18v string trimmer and hedge trimmer as they used the same battery as the Ryobi.
It gave me about 5 or six batteries. I'm down to one working battery and all the remaining devices to share the one battery. The cost of replacement batteries a few years ago was ALOT.
I'm now into the Craftsman 19.somethingv set my son gave me. I am considering buying one more battery for that set. So far I like it.

#11 chopperfreak2k1 OFFLINE  

chopperfreak2k1

Tractorholic

• Member No: 300
  • 17 Thanks
  • 431 posts

Posted June 09, 2010 - 04:25 PM

i like Porter Cable, Dewalt, Makita, and Millewakee (spelling). when i worked construction those were the brands that would hold up. now i have a Black n Decker firestorm 18v and it has performed well for me for about 5 years now.

#12 AcreFarm OFFLINE  

AcreFarm

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 54
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted June 09, 2010 - 07:30 PM

I've always liked Dewalt. Up until it finally died I had a 14.4v drill that had paid for itself 10-fold. This past Christmas my inlaws sent me a shiny new Craftsman (Ryobi) 19.2v single speed. From what I seen when working at Sears I didn't have high expectations for it at all. When we were building our deck my Dad used his 18v Dewalt and I used the new Craftsman. I was surprised to see it not only run side by side with the high-zoot yellow drill, but the battery life actually exceeded the Dewalt's by a dozen screws. Now to be fair, his drill is 4 years old and mine was fresh out of the cellophane... I'll be really impressed if it lasts that long.

#13 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted June 09, 2010 - 08:27 PM

I started using cordless tools back in the 80's when they were in their infancy. I recently came across the Black and Decker 3/8" drill, batteries and charger that I bought back then. It was a pretty good tool at the time but I soon discovered Makita, the company that quickly became the international leader in the cordless tool market. Like several of you, I was using the 9.5 volt Makita 3/8" variable speed reversible drills with the keyless chucks. I think I still have 3 or 4 of them around along with the little cordless saw that Makita also issued as a tile cutter with some mods to it.

Those were the standard for several years and then the voltage race began. We went to 12 volt, 14.4 volt and then 18 volts. Some companies then went to 24 volt. Since my Makita days, I've owned DeWalt and Milwaukee 18 volt tools and some 14.5 volt models as well. I can't say that I was displeased with either brand but what did make me unhappy was the outrageous price of replacement batteries. You could buy a new drill/charger and 2 batteries for a bit more than what two new batteries would cost. WTF? You mean the tools and chargers aren't worth hardly anything to manufacture?

Right now, I've got several Milwaukee drills, a Sawzall and flashlight plus several DeWalt drills, a couple of electric handsaws etc that are all useless due to dead batteries. Now that I'm retired, I won't pay the prices they want for new batteries but that doesn't mean that I don't still need cordless tools every now and then. So, one day I was walking through Home Depot, a company I have come to despise increasingly as time rolls on and noticed this big box of Ryobi cordless tools for such an amazing price, I could not turn it down. I said to myself "What the hell. IF this stuff turns out to be crap, I'll just return it and get my money back."

Well......that package of tools included a sawzall, 3/8" drill, chainsaw, vacuum, flashlight, sander, jigsaw, handsaw and impact driver plus 2 batteries and a charger. The 18 volt batteries could be bought for about $30.00 each instead of the $100.00 plus prices that DeWalt and Milwaukee were demanding. Yes... the batteries did not have the same amount of run-time as the other brands but to me, that wasn't a big deal. Ryobi kept to their promise to not change the design of their batteries and tools which the other guys were doing all the time. So far, I've not had one of those tools fail on me. The two original batteries are now toast after around four years of use. To me, not a big deal.

This is not about Ryobi being superior to Makita, Panasonic, Hitachi, Bosch, DeWalt or Milwaukee because it isn't. Those are all pretty good brands. What this IS about is me owning a line of tools that I can buy reasonable priced batteries for and not have to worry about planned obsolescence by the tool whores out there. Whatever small shortcomings the Ryobi line has, I can live with it very easily. I'm very pleased with this brand.

#14 AcreFarm OFFLINE  

AcreFarm

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 54
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted June 09, 2010 - 09:29 PM

You could buy a new drill/charger and 2 batteries for a bit more than what two new batteries would cost. WTF? You mean the tools and chargers aren't worth hardly anything to manufacture?

I completely agree with you.... it's one of the many pitfalls of the throw-away world we are all living in now.
The difference in pricing comes in part from the bulk the manufacturers buy in. Not all that long ago you could go to Walmart and buy a push mower with a 3.5hp Briggs on it for $109 and change. At that time a replacement engine cost over 25% more than a whole new mower.
Go figure :confuse:

#15 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted June 09, 2010 - 10:00 PM

Not to digress in a totally different direction here but who hasn't seen those cheapo printers sell for a few bucks more than the replacement ink cartridge for the same model not so many years back? That used to piss me off too.