• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 boatiee OFFLINE  

boatiee

• Member No: 1813
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted January 26, 2011 - 03:11 PM

I have a 1811, and I have been finding in the cold weather, the drive on the starter seems to retract from the flywheel too early, before the engine starts. I have tried using a thinner oil, thinking that it was too heavy, causing too heavy load on the starter. The other thing is, maybe there is a problem with the starter itself. The battery has been tested, and is good. Any input would be highly appreaciated!

Thanks,
Boatiee.

Edited by boatiee, January 27, 2011 - 08:24 AM.

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 26, 2011 - 03:35 PM

Does the starter seem to spin freely, off the engine or is it drag ,turn slow?

#3 cubman OFFLINE  

cubman

• Member No: 1815
  • 33 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted January 26, 2011 - 09:06 PM

the starter will spin freely while the ignition is turned on, but the problem is, it's not engaging the flywheel long enough to start the engine. It will turn it 2 or 3 revoulitions, but not any more. If it's warmed up, it'l start fine.

#4 boatiee OFFLINE  

boatiee

• 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 06:49 AM

The starter will "back off" too early. It will continue to spin freely if you keep the ignition engaged. We took the sparkplugs out and it will turn the engine over without "backing off" with the plugs out (no compression).....

#5 tyler OFFLINE  

tyler

Tractorholic

• Member No: 437
  • 55 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 07:22 AM

i think it's a weak starter ready to die. my old tractor did the same thing, i switched starters and fixed the problem

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 08:05 AM

i think it's a weak starter ready to die. my old tractor did the same thing, i switched starters and fixed the problem

I agree. That or low voltage/current. The battery was checked, so that leaves the wires or solenoid if that's the problem.

I have rebuilt a couple of bendix units over the years & this may be simple as a weak spring, but changing the starter would test for that & a bad starter. One quick thought, check to make sure it's mounts are clean & tight... that's where it gets ground.

#7 boatiee OFFLINE  

boatiee

• 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 08:06 AM

I took it in to a starter guy and he refurbished it and said it is in "new" condition..... ???

#8 boatiee OFFLINE  

boatiee

• 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 08:07 AM

Can anyone tell me the cheapest options for buying a starter online??

#9 boatiee OFFLINE  

boatiee

• 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 08:14 AM

I don't think he did anything to the drive though.....

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 08:15 AM

Can anyone tell me the cheapest options for buying a starter online??

Before you do that, ck the wiring one more time, may find a cheaper solution to the problem.

Is the rebuild still under any kind of warranty?

#11 boatiee OFFLINE  

boatiee

• 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 08:20 AM

I called the guy and he suggested bypassing the wiring using jumper cables, so that is the next step. He said he might have a drive for it. The funny thing about this is that when the tractor has been running for a bit, and you shut it off, it will start with no problems....

#12 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 08:27 AM

I have the same problem with mine when it's cold out.It's the bendix spring being to weak.As soon as the motor fires it kicks the starter out,even though the motor doesn't start.When the motor is warm and in the summer there's no problem.In the cold weather when I'am trying to start the motor , it fire's once then the drive kicks out,if it would stay engaged I'am sure I'd have a easier time starting the motor.The tractor is usually kept inside in the winter so I haven't really been to concerned about it not starting.On occasion it's been out in the cold and thats when I notice the problem.So yeah it needs a stronger bendix [starter drive spring] Larry

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 09:25 AM

Had a problem like yours , on the JD 318 , thaought the starter was bad, even checked and had 12volts at the starter stud, ,started taking covers and stuff off , until I got to the ground wire on the head , Oh NO , bad connection , see I had 12volts from the neg battery post to the starter stud but if I would have checked the ground ( starter case ) to the starter stud I wouldn't have had 12 volts. live and learn .