26 replies to this topic

#1 johnny438 OFFLINE  

johnny438
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 58207
  • 27 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 02:31 AM

Hello guys I am new to the fourm. I have 6 David Bradley Walking tractors and 5 older sears Garden Tractors , a B-1 Allis Chalmers and I just recently purchased a 1959 David Bradley Suburban. I am in need of the Belt Guard. Looks as though it is the only thing missing. I thought maybe someone might have this part to sale or if someone could supply me with the measurements I would make one myself if I could get a simple drawing etc. I look forward to posting and seeing other posts and pics. Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks,

John 20140530_164639.jpg 20140530_164651.jpg 20140530_164658.jpg 20140531_012824.jpg

• rustyoldjunk, hamman, bgkid2966 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 03:47 AM

John, Welcome to the forum and thanks for the pics. Hope you enjoy it here.

• johnny438 said thank you

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 05:06 AM

John, welcome to GT Talk, glad you joined, Lauber1 is the DB Suburban expert here and may be able to assist you. It seems parts for the Suburbans are much harder to find then the walk behinds.

That is a great :thumbs: looking Suburban, bolting that seat back on the frame can be a challange.

There are a few other fourm members who own early Suburbans that may be able to assist you also, stick around and chat with the guy a bit, you'll like it here.

#4 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 05:55 AM

:welcometogttalk: My favorite DB.

#5 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 06:26 AM

Sound like you have a nice collection, I like variety it keeps life interesting.  Welcome to the forum, you will like it here.

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 07:30 AM

Welcome to GTT. You have a nice collection. Good Luck, Rick

#7 johnny438 OFFLINE  

johnny438
  • Contributor
  • 27 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 08:32 AM

Thanks guys for making me feel welcome.. My dad got me into the old David Bradley Tractors. He was a collector of sorts but he didn't baby them he worked them or they worked him. lol I kept all of his old garden tractors etc. and I am just really now getting back into the collecting part of it. Its like a fever I am thinking about it all the time. haaa. My wife thinks im a little crazy I think. But she may be right. I am 41 years old and love the older garden tractors unreal how much american steel went into them. I think I have found a new home here.. lol. I also have some spare parts for older sears Tractors and some older Briggs Parts. I will help anyway I can. I have some good sources also.

The little David Bradley Suburban Tractor I just bought it yesterday. I Seen it online for sale decided thats what I wanted told my wife hey I am going to pick up a tractor , she said ok where is it I said 3 1/2 hours away thats when she said I was crazy .. So 450 miles later I was back home with it yesterday evening.. :) Gotta love it...

Thanks!!

• olcowhand and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 12:29 PM

Welcome to GTTalk. 450miles is a ways to go, but we understand ! I bet there are folks here who have gone further for a tractor and that DB Suburban looks like it was well worth the trip.

#9 johnny438 OFFLINE  

johnny438
  • Contributor
  • 27 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 01:51 PM

It is in very good shape. I just got home from a local Briggs and Stratton parts store that has been open for years and years. They had the carb. Kit and Points and Cond. on the shelf. I will have it fired off shortly if everything goes ok. I just want to see how the motor runs and if It is in need of a rebuild.

#10 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 03:34 PM

welcome to the forum, always nice to see another DB suburban come out of  the shed. What is the serial number and model number off the tag on the left side of the gear case?

#11 johnny438 OFFLINE  

johnny438
  • Contributor
  • 27 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 06:51 PM

I will check that out and see what the Numbers are. I here you are the David Bradley Guru Mr. Lauber1 ... :) You are the man I need to talk to lol. Looks like the only thing that I really need on the Suburban is the Belt Guard Cover that runs down the side of the frame. I am sure on the years that people got tired of taking these on and off so that is why its missing. Do you have any sources that I maybe could locate this guard , or have  the specs. so I can fab. one myself?  Also I know a guy that has a David Bradley Brush Cutter for sale. Is this worth restoring? I guess what I'm asking are they hard to find and very collectable?  Here are a couple of pics of the Brush Cutter..

Attached Thumbnails

• 01111_5PxtvDKhC3x_600x450.jpg
  • 00R0R_bfhGNNuz09A_600x450.jpg
  • 00H0H_1kt1ekG907x_600x450.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 07:07 PM

Johnny, I had a Suburban exactly like yours many years ago.  I had added 3pt lift on the back & hydraulics.  I traded it off and I have regretted it ever since.  So my advice to you is to keep her!  Nice purchase!

• trowel and johnny438 have said thanks

#13 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 08:10 PM

I will check that out and see what the Numbers are. I here you are the David Bradley Guru Mr. Lauber1 ... :) You are the man I need to talk to lol. Looks like the only thing that I really need on the Suburban is the Belt Guard Cover that runs down the side of the frame. I am sure on the years that people got tired of taking these on and off so that is why its missing. Do you have any sources that I maybe could locate this guard , or have  the specs. so I can fab. one myself?  Also I know a guy that has a David Bradley Brush Cutter for sale. Is this worth restoring? I guess what I'm asking are they hard to find and very collectable?  Here are a couple of pics of the Brush Cutter..

Yes those are getting collectable now days. that is one of the better ones as it has powered wheel drive. A lot of them you had to push. They made a brush mower, a genset, a lawn mower and I think a couple more attachments. These weren't GT's, just fancy mowers and couldn't work the ground.

• trowel and johnny438 have said thanks

#14 johnny438 OFFLINE  

johnny438
  • Contributor
  • 27 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 10:08 PM

Thanks Guys! The Numbers are as follows:   91760601 As far as I can tell the Serial No. is 2764 . Hope this helps..

Thanks..

• Lauber1 and trowel have said thanks

#15 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 09:52 AM

Thanks Guys! The Numbers are as follows:   91760601 As far as I can tell the Serial No. is 2764 . Hope this helps..

Thanks..

It probably don't help most of the other guys, but it put another notch in the puzzle here. I loosely keep track of the numbers to the first three yrs of tractors. Yours falls into the largest group of surviving ones, in the 2000-3000 serial numbers. The numbers go from 1000's to the high 7000's so far. I don't have any way to know what the first or last of the serials are, but everyone I get fills in a gap. So far there only seems to be 3 tractors out there with a number below 2000, Theres mine with 1313, one with 1679, and another in the 1900's. A guy once told me he had 1297, but never would show me a picture of the tag, so I have to say he probably didn't have it. And his tractor was missing a lot of parts. Like a dummy I didn't keep track of what state the models were in, to see if they were sending a whole group of similar numbered models there, or if it was just random. My son and I both have "600" with only 12 numbers separating them, both tractors came from the same Sear store new, according to there original owners.

You will need to find a belt guard sooner or later as the exposed belt will get into your shoe and pants leg, when you aint looking. Finding one will be hard and making one isn't as easy as it looks. Your going to need to find someone with a good pan brake and a hole saw kit to make it look and fit nice. Seems like I sent the measurements out to a fellow in Va once, or might have sent a guard to him that we had repo'd here, but it didn't fit right. I'll have to check on that.

• olcowhand, WHdbJD, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: david, bradley, suburban, belt, guard, 1959, parts