Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Trying To Figure Out How To Install 10Hp Briggs Sump Cover With Balance Gears.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 quartermilecamel OFFLINE  

quartermilecamel
  • Member No: 40923
  • 19 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 01:44 AM

Hello Im working on a 1976 10hp briggs model 251417 if I remember correctly.  Anyway it has two gears mounted on the inside of the sump cover Im guessing for silent or balance shaft function.  But Im having a hard time finding the method to time the gears when installing the cover.  Does anyone know where to find this info?

#2 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,292 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 05:57 AM

There are 2 plugs on the back cover that you have to remove.You should be able to slide 2 nails or 2 small punches through both holes and into the holes in the balance gears to hold them in place.

I'm not 100% sure on the block timing but I would say it would have to be at TDC (Top Dead Center).I lost my manuals when my PC hard drive died last month.

Here's 2 pics that show the plugs and the gears with the holes.  BE CAREFUL when you remove and Reinstall the plugs.They strip out VERY easily.

$(KGrHqYOKo0FICOHKvS!BSI+o6r,yg~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqR,!gwE7PlR14WHBPBGVDI5L!~~60_57.JPG

Here you go Download and turn to page # 326

http://gardentractor...ines-1919-1981/

That is 1 HUGE manual btw lol.21mb of awesomeness.

Edited by EricFromPa, May 31, 2014 - 06:21 AM.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner and quartermilecamel have said thanks

#3 quartermilecamel OFFLINE  

quartermilecamel
  • 19 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 02:14 PM

Man that's awesome.  Basically I used a newer I/C block to rebuild this.  It had ball bearings on the crank and no counter balance gears so Im installing old engine cover on this newer block.  I removed the cover side bearing off the crank.  Engine runs very well but my feet and butt don't like the vibrations.

#4 quartermilecamel OFFLINE  

quartermilecamel
  • 19 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 08:53 PM

engine runs now.  I think I got gears aligned.  its definetly smoother than with out those gears.  One question I do have is did they make a ball bearing sump cover with counter weight gears?