• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 358 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 11:40 PM

I have been looking & studying a way to build a sleeve hitch. My question is the Ford sleeve hitch has a bar that extends back where the implement attaches, but I have also seen some that the implement connects directly to the back cross bar. Which seems to work better, is there any advantages or disadvantages to either type? In my steel supply I have a piece of 2" X 2" square tube that 1/4" wall thickness that I am thinking of using for the part that an implement attaches to but am wondering if it is better to have something that would extend back for the implement attachment. At this time I have nothing drawn on paper just trying to establish a better picture in my head before putting the details in a drawing. Any ideas or suggestion would be helpful.

Charlie

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 05:22 AM

Charlie,

It sounds like your making a tool bar for the sleeve hitch, hold on to your pants, there are plenty of build ideas and ways of building it for different attachments.

Sleeve hitches are generally the same style throughout the GT brands with the lower hitches being of different widths and the top hitch of round or square type. The top hitch can be connected to the bottom hitch via a link bar or a length of cable/chain used to pick up and put down the lower hitch/tool bar.

To get the ball rolling a bit for ideas here is my Squire 9 sleeve hitch toting a chipper/shredder : http://gardentractor...0262&hl=+squire

Hope this helped.

Edited by trowel, May 31, 2014 - 05:23 AM.

• Sawdust and FixItCharlie have said thanks

#3 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 06:45 AM

I have been looking & studying a way to build a sleeve hitch. My question is the Ford sleeve hitch has a bar that extends back where the implement attaches, but I have also seen some that the implement connects directly to the back cross bar. Which seems to work better, is there any advantages or disadvantages to either type? In my steel supply I have a piece of 2" X 2" square tube that 1/4" wall thickness that I am thinking of using for the part that an implement attaches to but am wondering if it is better to have something that would extend back for the implement attachment. At this time I have nothing drawn on paper just trying to establish a better picture in my head before putting the details in a drawing. Any ideas or suggestion would be helpful. 

Charlie

The type with a back extension can make it easier to add a bracket where you can switch between a ball and pin.  If you look in my gallery you will see this type, made by brinly for jacobsen/ford.  The disadvantage is the extension can bend. 

One fix would be like on a Case sleeve hitch, where the back bar is that 1/4" square tubing you have, or channel i believe, with 5/8" tubes welded into the middle, and 1/2" nuts welded into the sides for tension bolts.  Like this http://www.ebay.com/...=p2047675.l2557

Then you can make an adaptor like this for a towing ball  http://www.ebay.com/...=item1e800b67ec

Whatever you make consider space for a counterweight.  It can help with lifting front&mid implements, also gets some weight behind the back wheels for traction.  In my gallery pic the big blue thing in the middle is a 34# steel bar and it helps a lot.  Depending on what year ford the rear hubs can be dinky so wheel weights may cause problems that a counterweight wouldn't just a thought

• FixItCharlie said thank you

#4 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 1,162 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 07:24 AM

Have you seen this?

http://gardentractor...itch-accessory/

• FixItCharlie said thank you

#5 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • 358 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 10:54 AM

Thank you for the information. Some of it is helping to make the picture clearer. Some of the information has also add some other options that will need to be considered when building it. I know the saying a picture is worth a thousand words but have a tendency to forget this, so I have added 2 images that I have saved. The difference that I am looking at is not how it attaches to the tractor, but where the implement attaches to it.

Hitch.png

The one from the Ford Manuals.

Hitch 2.png

One that does not extend back for the implement to attach to.

The adding of weight to the tractor this way. I have a piece for my LGT 100 closed side tractor where I can add weight & has a raised ball for moving trailers which adds the need for adding weight to the front of the tractor. This one does not connect to the lift lever, but maybe an option to look at in the future.

The Sleeve Hitch I want to build is for the new to me LGT 145 that I just received a couple of weeks ago. This tractor came with its own home made weight box, so I will not need to add weight to it & the LGT 145 has hydraulic lift. I will also when building this Sleeve Hitch make it just like the one in the Ford Manuals where it can be used on both tractors, but am wondering which is the best for attaching an implement. 

Charlie

#6 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • 358 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 08:47 PM

http://gardentractor...-a-ford-lgt-r27

I found this article very helpful in planning my Sleeve Hitch & wonder why it had not been suggested reading when I was looking for information.

Charlie

• MH81 said thank you

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 09:30 PM

http://gardentractor...-a-ford-lgt-r27
I found this article very helpful in planning my Sleeve Hitch & wonder why it had not been suggested reading when I was looking for information.

Charlie

It's amazing what is in the articles section. I even forget how much stuff is there and it's very good info.
Thanks for reminding me to go there more often. Oh, and thanks for linking, I was able to edit and show the plans that were attached but not added to the article.

#8 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,804 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 03:27 PM

here's another link to one i helped build 

http://gardentractor...-for-fordjakes/

Tom

• MH81 and FixItCharlie have said thanks

#9 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • 358 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 05:06 PM

That is a nice hitch & very well built. I knew if I asked that some very good ideas would come from this group. Thank you everyone.

Charlie

• MH81 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#10 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,804 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 07:31 PM

Good luck with your build. Tom

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 08:07 PM

Charlie, I know that somewhere on this forum is pics, dwgs. and  a thread where I had issues with mine! Where that is, I haven't a clue!

#12 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • 358 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 08:48 PM

Thank You everyone for the help with this project. As I was putting it together I started developing other ideas of things it might be able to be used for. So I added some versatility to it that is different then most have.

SH5.jpg     SH7.jpg

Charlie

• bgkid2966 said thank you

#13 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 08:51 PM

Looks good!  Can not wait to see it in action.

Geno

#14 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,804 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 06:05 PM

Looks good! Can not wait to see it in action.

Ditto that

Edited by TomLGT195, June 17, 2014 - 06:06 PM.