#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 10:45 PM

Been working around the house and yard getting those things done and just getting to the 5th wheel camper to get it ready for summer camping. 1st problem found, hydraulic pump for slide out will not bring it back in. No back pressure. Lines are clear and it takes the slide out out fine just not in by it's self. I can push it in with help while the wife pushes the switch but it is slow and hard to do. Can probably live with that for a while. 2nd problem, water heater tank has sprung a leak. Not repairable! Leaking around the front of the tank where the anode rod is screwed into the tank. Wife says that she can live without the hot water because she can heat it on the stove.
New water heater is about $300 and the slide out pump is, well lets just say it's way to expensive for me to replace with a new one. I have found a possible used pump warranted for a year to work. Should be a direct replacement, just a little different style. I have to wait for the guy who has it due to him having surgery yesterday.
Still have to check the roof closely to make sure I have no leaks. Sealed the roof last year and took care of the leaks we did have. Hopefully it is ok and only requires some touch up.
Between the frustration of that and a couple other things I got the cow manure tilled into the garden and ready for the wife to plant this weekend.
Have a good weekend and get some seat time. Roger.
  • trowel, tinbender7, bgkid2966 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 04:51 AM

You bet, got 2 1/2 acres of grass to cut, which has not been cut yet this year. Noel
  • hamman and trowel have said thanks

#3 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 06:31 AM

Last year we took a trip to CT last year with our little 18' camper, while we were there I put my floor thru the floor in front of the door, the hot water heater sprung a leak and something happened to one of the springs so on the way home I could only go about 50mph.  It was a very long ride home, I got so frustrated I went out and spent 10k on a much newer camper.  Still haven't slept in the new one yet but I hope it was the rite decision.

Just thought you should know you are not the only one who has those kind of troubles>

Pete

• hamman and tinbender7 have said thanks

#4 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 08:45 AM

I am assuming that your hydraulic unit has a solenoid on it since it is working off a push button.

You could for giggles try swapping the solenoids and see if that fixes that problem going in.  Then you would know what to order to fix it.  The pump is going to work the same in or out, So I doubt the pump is a problem. 

Have you checked the oil level?  If it is pushing out with the cylinders, they are going to be full of fluid and your tank could be low.  But if that's the case I would assume that it would get easier as they sucked in.

• hamman and petrj6 have said thanks

#5 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 08:55 AM

We had a 28' camping trailer.  The first few years were great, but then when it got a little age the problems started. Had to fix the roof, then the floor in front of the front door, then hot water heater (it was gas and just had to replace the thermocouple) then we had the same problem with the slide but our problem was wood swelling not allowing the slide out to retract evenly.  There was always something to do with it.  I can feel your fustration's.

• hamman and tinbender7 have said thanks

#6 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 11:22 AM

Tomanytoys, this is where I might be baffled. It operates in both directions but it just will not come in like it should. Pump runs in both directions.  It has one cylinder and when it is out the tank is still showing full of fluid ! When it is in it still shows full of fluid. I would of thought that when the cylinder rod is retracted (back in the cylinder ) the tank would be full, and when extended (rod out of cylinder) it would be near empty. Now I had added trans fluid to it as the instructions had said would be ok. It was red when I put it in the tank and when I check it with a dip stick (ya I konw, takes one to know one) it is clear !  Still baffled.                     Thanks.                                     Roger.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 11:52 AM

Tomanytoys, this is where I might be baffled. It operates in both directions but it just will not come in like it should. Pump runs in both directions.  It has one cylinder and when it is out the tank is still showing full of fluid ! When it is in it still shows full of fluid. I would of thought that when the cylinder rod is retracted (back in the cylinder ) the tank would be full, and when extended (rod out of cylinder) it would be near empty. Now I had added trans fluid to it as the instructions had said would be ok. It was red when I put it in the tank and when I check it with a dip stick (ya I konw, takes one to know one) it is clear !  Still baffled.                     Thanks.                                     Roger.

When using a 2 way cylinder in a hydraulic system, the same amount of fluid is always in the cylinder just on one side or the other of the piston depending on which way it's going so the tank level should be about the same all the time.

• hamman said thank you

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 11:54 AM

Does your pump have a filter or screen in the system, I bet it maybe your problem. Either that or the pump is going bad.

• hamman said thank you

#9 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 11:55 AM

Thanks Texas Deere and horse. I wasn't sure I was reading the info in the instruction right.                                               Roger.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#10 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 11:57 AM

No filter or screen. If I reverse the hoses at the pump that should tell me if my suspeciouns are correct. If I change the in with the out and it comes in ok and will not go out the pump is going to be bad.  I will try this and let you know.  thanks.                                    Roger.

#11 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 12:00 PM

There will be a difference of fluid level that the cylinder rod takes up in the cylinder if that makes sense.

• hamman said thank you