#1 tps07 OFFLINE  

tps07
  • Member No: 58167
  • 5 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 12:33 PM

Hello everybody,

Hoping you can advise a newbie. 

I purchased a Craftsman tractor from sears (CM PRO, YT 48"; Model 944.604390). When it arrived I was getting it all ready when I noticed that the front wheels didn't see be parallel to each other and misaligned in general.

So we got them to send us another one which I received today. Better, but still doesn't seem right. 

I've attached some pictures of both tractors.

Please let me know if this is normal, or self corrects, or can easily be fixed. Or if I should get sears to send another.

I can take more pics or measurements if you need.

Thanks in advance!

Harv

20140523_140534.jpg 20140523_140543(0).jpg 20140523_140543.jpg 20140530_120321.jpg 20140530_120403.jpg

• hamman, boyscout862 and Gabriel have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 01:39 PM

Welcome to GTT. Most tractors(and cars) have a bit of "toe in". The front of the tires is a little closer together than the back. This helps steering when you turn. Check your manual for measuring your toe-in. Good Luck, Rick

#3 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 03:33 PM

Welcome to GTT. Most tractors(and cars) have a bit of "toe in". The front of the tires is a little closer together than the back. This helps steering when you turn. Check your manual for measuring your toe-in. Good Luck, Rick

Welcome to the group.  I agree with what Rick said about "toe in" on the front tires.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,807 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 05:38 PM

Welcome to GT Talk. Enjoy the site
Ditto on the above comments.
Also I think your might be talking about how steering wheel is straight but wheels point to left. My ariens does same thing. New models aren't built to exacting standards. Tom.

#5 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 06:41 PM

This time of year I am surprised you got them to bring a new one that quickly. The first pic the right tire does seem to be a little off kilter the second tractor doesn't look all that bad. Have you driven it to see if it goes straight?

#6 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 09:09 PM

Hello everybody,

Hoping you can advise a newbie. 

I purchased a Craftsman tractor from sears (CM PRO, YT 48"; Model 944.604390). When it arrived I was getting it all ready when I noticed that the front wheels didn't see be parallel to each other and misaligned in general.

So we got them to send us another one which I received today. Better, but still doesn't seem right. 

I've attached some pictures of both tractors.

Please let me know if this is normal, or self corrects, or can easily be fixed. Or if I should get sears to send another.

I can take more pics or measurements if you need.

Thanks in advance!

Harv

attachicon.gif20140523_140534.jpgattachicon.gif20140523_140543(0).jpgattachicon.gif20140523_140543.jpgattachicon.gif20140530_120321.jpgattachicon.gif20140530_120403.jpg

WELCOME! It could be that your steering wheel needs to be repositioned on the steering shaft.

#7 tps07 OFFLINE  

tps07
  • 5 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 09:05 AM

Thanks everybody for your input.

I'm definitely going to have to re-position the steering wheel to center. I'll of course drive it first for a while before I do that. 

Initially I didn't want to touch the tractor just to make sure there would be no problem returning it. The one I got now I'm going to start up today.

As you guys mentioned, I guess there is some noticeable built in toe-in. I think because this is a tight turn model (6" i think) it's probably toed-in more? 

Oh, and how I got them to send another real quick? I had them deal with my mom's wrath. lol.... I think she has Sears wrapped around her finger. 

Interestingly enough, this is actually the 3rd tractor I attempted to purchase. The first was a lower model on sale just before past winter. When they were delivering that one the steering wheel snapped because of the way they were unloading it. Pretty much the entire tractor was hanging from the steering wheel. It was stuck on wood framed container. Even though I wanted it returned they actually sent a repair guy out either the next day or day after. I still had it returned thinking about what other damage could have been caused. Seemed it would take a lot of force to snap that steering wheel.

For this new tractor they told me no more repair guy visit to fix the alignment. Appears they stopped home visits. Might have something to do with Sears slowly shutting down in Canada? Anyhow, thank you Sears for sending me another tractor.

And thanks again guys for your input!

Oh....I should probably do a search first or make a new post?... But while your here, thoughts on if I should and HOW it's best to change the regular blades to the mulch ones that came with the tractor. I've always used mulch blades on the regular old lawn mower. Just tip the tractor over on its side?

AND, do I need supreme/high octane gas? Neighbour said there's less or no ethanol in it so it's better for these engines.

Thanks guys!

• Gabriel said thank you

#8 tps07 OFFLINE  

tps07
  • 5 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 09:14 AM

This time of year I am surprised you got them to bring a new one that quickly. The first pic the right tire does seem to be a little off kilter the second tractor doesn't look all that bad. Have you driven it to see if it goes straight?

And thanks Uncle for confirming that the right tire on the first was off a bit. The more time I spent looking at it the more crazy I thought I was. 

• UncleWillie said thank you

#9 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 11:25 AM

And thanks Uncle for confirming that the right tire on the first was off a bit. The more time I spent looking at it the more crazy I thought I was. 

Check you manual to see if there is any way to adjust the alignment.