4 replies to this topic

#1 rippinryno ONLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • Member No: 57585
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 07:32 AM

Hey guys, so I'm beginning to think I am a bit of a mower hoarder.  The GF is saying so too haha.  Anyway in the last several months I've picked up a murray, craftsman, john deere 214 with a blown rod, and also I just picked up a JD LT166.  The mower was abused, but the v-twin briggs and stratton is free and will fire on starter fluid.  I'm going to go home tonight and drain all the fuel out of it and start fresh.  I'm assuming the carb may need a good cleaning ,but the mower will fire up and then it will run for a second and then immediately die.  I'm going to start with the carb but i did notice there is a piece that the fuel line goes to that Y's off to both cylinders.  I'm not familiar with this piece and wonder if it may be bad.  It was mounted to something but is now just dangling by the fuel line connection.

Also the mower deck on this thing does not adjust they've been dragging it around the ground for god knows how long, 2 of the wheel mounts broke and were re welded on there, one of the wheels is completely shot.  When you pull the lever to raise the deck nothing happens.  I looked underneath and the lift lever on the side with the lever is snapped so it's just not raising the deck.  I've ordered a pair of these lift levers to get this fixed.

Should i start with the usual carb cleaning on this thing to see if i can get it to stay running?

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 08:23 AM

It could be that there is a safety switch disconnected or broken and this is causing the engine to shut down once the key is released to the start position. If you could post some pictures of the disconnected part it may help figure out what it is.

#3 rippinryno ONLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 08:24 AM

ok will do, the part itself is not disconnected it's just not mounted to the hood like it was before.  This mahcine is missing the hood cover shroud.  I'll post a picture.  The motor did run for longer than about 10 seconds though so i honestly don't think it's a safety switch.

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 12:15 PM

V-twin Briggs?  I would look at the fuel pump, which maybe is what you are seeing? Needs engine vacumn to run it. Small black plastic box like thing with about 3 or 4 lines coming from it? Check condition of each line also. Might get vac off the heads. Also mine had a tiny filter right up by engine, in-line. See if plugged, or just replace. Never done carb work on mine, not even sure I can SEE it w/out pulling shrouds off??  Mine always needs he choke on for a second to start. Just a moment, about half throttle, then pull choke off right away once started.

#5 rippinryno ONLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 01:44 PM

carb is right behind the air filter in the front, i think it's dirty or i have bad gas.  I'll replace the fuel filter too make sure we're getting gas in there, easiest way to tell is to pull the fuel line off the carb and see if it's pouring gas out, if it is, its' flowing.  I'll check all the lines from the fuel pump.  it does get vacuum off the heads for sure.